Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Not enough time travel, obese Chewbacca and Fortnite references for ya? :D 

Funnily enough those are all bits of Endgame I didn't much like :)

I'm just not invested in Star Wars. So watching that, it just strikes me as a bit... Bleh. Lots of fan service, lots of callbacks, and the slightly desperate throwback to RotJ with the Emperor and Death Star wreckage and obvious Endor nods... It just feels tired.

And I still wouldn't rule out time travel here either. There's an obviously important 'device' in a fair few shots, and given where the last film left things you'd have to ask where the enormous armada of Rebel fighters has come from in the finale...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Funnily enough those are all bits of Endgame I didn't much like :)

I'm just not invested in Star Wars. So watching that, it just strikes me as a bit... Bleh. Lots of fan service, lots of callbacks, and the slightly desperate throwback to RotJ with the Emperor and Death Star wreckage and obvious Endor nods... It just feels tired.

And I still wouldn't rule out time travel here either. There's an obviously important 'device' in a fair few shots, and given where the last film left things you'd have to ask where the enormous armada of Rebel fighters has come from in the finale...

Yeah it's most definitely "Fan service the movie" and it will be interesting (for me) to see if Abrams manages to get it back on track after Johnson destroyed everything in the last movie.

Can't for the life of me see how he could do that as Johnson made something that doesn't fit in at all in the Star Wars story or universe. Not even Jar-Jar Finn.

I don't think the first (7th) movie was fantastic either, but it was a Star Wars movie.

The latest films have been dross, rehashed versions of the originals made to appease the needs for better diversity.

It's basically the same as the remake of ghostbusters......with an all women cast.......which I believe was also complete dogshit.

And Leia floating through space.......come on....

The 8th one was poor, on the whole, with a couple of glaring plot holes, but it did at least attempt a bit of an original story. The 7th was more like going to see 'Dom Bon Jovi' at your local. 

I'm not massively optimistic about this one, I have to say. 

• Like 1

I thought that was a good trailer and actually has me cautiously excited. Wont go to the cinema to see it as TLJ was the film that killed my hope for these films but yeah, enjoyed all the trailers for this. Maybe I'm just a massive pleb because I love all the fan service and as long as its better than TLJ, that's all I ask for to round off this disappointing trilogy. 

• Like 2

I don't hate the Last Jedi as much as most, most of the hatred of that film comes from it's outright rejection of expectations set up by the series and especially Abrams' mystery box style from FA imo, which I wasn't that bothered by. It's biggest problems are the plot is shit (and stupid) and it shoehorns in themes on pain of death - it chucks in a whole subplot seemingly to make 2 points that while admirable don't really fit in a film series like Star Wars. I probably admire that more than making a tribute act to a better film though.

• Like 1

I enjoyed both 7 and 8, but admittedly I don't analyse these films, they're just daft space based action adventure films for me, so my expectations are low. Hopefully more adam driver focused than daisy ridley who's a rather bland screen presence

Btw if anyone wants a podcast to blast through, I can recommend Star Calls. 2 guys from the (brilliant) Computer Game Show podcast, one who has never watched Star Wars and one who knows the series fairly well, have a chat about the films as they watch them episode by episode in release order. It's very funny and very interesting to hear someone who has basically no knowledge of the series work through his expectations and thoughts. The series has finished so it's all there to listen to, and after each 'trilogy' they have a roundtable with the other TCGS hosts who bring their own insight and critique the thoughts of the main 2 (read - mock). Expect stuff like funny, frustrated, discussions on how forcefields 'work' in sci fi.

I'm just a bit meh about all of this. I was a huge SW fan as a kid and of course I,II,&III were so terrible it was like Lucas murdered part of my childhood. Midiclorians FFS.

FA was ok but for me had so many stupid moments and TLJ was such an abortion it killed any hope that Disney was going to do anything good with the main story.

So meh - I'll wait to see what you lot say before wasting $30 at a Manhattan movie theatre.

• Like 1

I'll watch them as they are Star Wars but they'll never beat the original three (ep 4-6)

Plus they'll never be as ingrained in the public consciousness as the originals were. 

I got into SW as an adult earlier this decade (in preparation to see VII actually if I remember correctly) so I probably have a different perspective than most, but I really enjoyed VII. I'd put it in my top 5 for sure. VIII was all over the place but it had its moments. Would have been up there with VII if it were more cohesive.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'll watch them as they are Star Wars but they'll never beat the original three (ep 4-6)

Plus they'll never be as ingrained in the public consciousness as the originals were. 

Agree.

Although, I technically grew up with the prequels (3 is my favourite) and even then I felt so immersed in it.

Â