Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

if you know you know...

12065805_10153720458535917_4011108137015

You're older than I thought mate.

p.s who's that odd looking young lad next to you? ;)

• Like 1

Saw Solo this afternoon. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not as good as Rogue One, but better than TLJ, for my money. Chap playing Han better than i was expecting, i liked him by the end! And the movie looked fantastic.

• Like 1

Solo hasn't performed quite to Disney's liking it seems.

I wonder why? Release date won't have helped but I can't help wondering if people have seen this as overly cynical a release. Reactions to it generally have been mixed, some seem to really like it others find it dull and far too by the numbers from what I've seen (the latter point you could see coming a mile away, it's the most obviously checklist-y movie you could do on the Star Wars canon).

It's also maintained the record of China not giving a **** about Star Wars.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Solo hasn't performed quite to Disney's liking it seems.

I wonder why? Release date won't have helped but I can't help wondering if people have seen this as overly cynical a release.

I think you're probably right there, and the franchise only has itself to blame for that I guess. Which is a shame, as it's a really enjoyable movie well-made movie.

I saw Solo yesterday. Really pleasantly surprised. It didn't feel tired like Rogue One even though it was a prequel. Good acting and some excellent action sequences. Decent script, good direction. 3.5/5

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the damp squib that was Solo, Disney have put all 'Star Wars Story' anthology projects on hold and are focusing on finishing Episode IX and working out what they follow that with (no prizes for guessing Episodes X through XII...).

This means that the long rumoured Obi Wan movie, the Boba Fett and no doubt whatever other characters they can spin off with scripts that write themselves are shelved for the foreseeable.

Disney appear to have killed the golden goose at more or less it's infancy under their stewardship.

Was bound to be a  reaction with them blurting out movies at this rate.

They did a good job (IMO) with Rogue One, but making up new stories in a universe people already see as their own will weaken the franchise.

They got a bit greedy in making back their investment too quick. They'd been better of taking their time and writing solid scripts. (Not seen Solo so for all I know it might be ace)

Much easier in a universe where there is tons of ready made source material to choose from when belching out movies I imagine .

sounds like they need more market testing to see what people actually want, by most accounts solo isnt a bad film and does a lot of stuff right, there just isnt the desire there to see it, i still havent got round to watching it yet either and would consider myself a star wars fan

if disney were to survey me on what i want then a yoda, obi wan or boba fett film wouldnt be on my list

found it interesting that EA think the answer to battlefield is to drag it back to the clone wars, that wouldnt be on my list either, there are 2 characters for me that lucas shat on (maul and grievous) that they unfortunately cant save

top of my list would be a film of vader culling the jedi and i think after rogue one so would a few people

• Like 2

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

sounds like they need more market testing to see what people actually want, by most accounts solo isnt a bad film and does a lot of stuff right, there just isnt the desire there to see it, i still havent got round to watching it yet either and would consider myself a star wars fan

if disney were to survey me on what i want then a yoda, obi wan or boba fett film wouldnt be on my list

found it interesting that EA think the answer to battlefield is to drag it back to the clone wars, that wouldnt be on my list either, there are 2 characters for me that lucas shat on (maul and grievous) that they unfortunately cant save

top of my list would be a film of vader culling the jedi and i think after rogue one so would a few people

I agree in that they are making the movies that no one asked for.  It does seem to be movie making by marketing people, picking the cult figures and assuming that they can make any movie featuring them and assume it will be a hit.  Boba Fett is an interesting one as he has become a cult figure from the movies largely because he is a bit mysterious and looks cool.  However he is also the guy that is ended by having Han chuckle brother him into the sarlacc, which does make him a bit of a figure of fun rather than an ultra cool assassin / bounty hunter.  The idea of a movie based around him is one that I'm not sure I'm that bothered about.  I think my main problem is going back in the timeline of characters that we already know.  There is no peril when you know for a fact that half the people on screen have to survive of have to fit into a character arc further down the line.  It makes all the events and responses predictable.  I'd like them to be brave and try just writing a good script that relies on the laws of the universe, but takes a complete break from all the people and locations that we know. 

I'd like a compelling baddy story.  Someone who can find their feet over a couple of movies to establish their baddy credentials.  Then when a fully fledged bad ass you can drop the new baddy into the Rey and Kylo world and snap the pair of them in half.  No effort, just snap, folded like a deck chair and discarded.  The movies are only ever as good as the baddy and you need time to grow the threat to make the buzz of seeing them beaten work.

• Like 2

Disney now say they haven't shelved any projects and are working on various unannounced projects in the Star Wars franchise.

However, if you believe the Solo misfire and Last Jedi underperforming hasn't changed their outlook on these films I've got a bridge to sell you.

Bit surprised if there isn't a Leia Organa story in development.

Strong female character,  (potentially) interesting story arch that could even be over a few films. And one of the lead characters from the original trilogy.

Carry Fishers passing might play a part I guess, but could as easily make it an even more lucrative prospect.

If they are going to do the anthology stuff they would be best served binning nearly every origin story prequel of established characters idea they have. The only exceptions to this being 'plot gap' stories (i.e. Obi Wan between episodes 3 and 4, Vader in the same time period) and minor character background stuff - i.e. Boba Fett, who is such a blank slate you can basically do anything.

Doing origins for the established characters is just going to come off as cynical, like it does in Solo. It's an iconic character, who doesn't need a backstory beyond what is there. You can smell the money grubbing dripping off it.

They would be far better served taking the Star Wars universe, and playing with it. Star Wars gives you an enormous canvas to play with. You can do anything, really, and have it be Star Wars. The problem is having the bollocks to do a story where the point isn't about Jedi, or the Empire, or the Force, or the Skywalkers and lightsabers and all that shit.

There's literally thousands of bits of expanded universe nonsense to mine for ideas. And yeah loads of it falls into the same Luke shaped hole no doubt, and a bunch of it will be shit, but there'll be ideas in there to nick. Go make some new stories in the universe. They don't even need to be big, or huge budgets. Give me the Star Wars equivalent of Dredd, a small story in the middle of a world we don't need to know much about.

Or if there simply must be Jedi and the Force and the Dark Side to be Star Wars, do something from the very beginnings of this world, far removed from every strand of the old films. Pinch the ideas from the Knights of the Old Republic games.

• Like 2

Can honestly say I'm not really interested in any origin story or expanded universe story.

And that's coming from someone who grew up adoring the first 3 films.

I have/had pretty much every ship and action figure made back in the day and have watched those 3 movies hundreds of times. At one point I knew every single line in the first movie by heart.

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Or if there simply must be Jedi and the Force and the Dark Side to be Star Wars, do something from the very beginnings of this world, far removed from every strand of the old films. Pinch the ideas from the Knights of the Old Republic games.

thats why i think the old republic is better suited to TV, you can do 1 episode or a thousand episodes and it never steps on the toes or requires any playing with what the films have already established, no questions over what else is happening at the same time, no tedious links as to who is who, as the games have shown at times potentially no rules because it can pre date them

its just set in the same galaxy, nothing more

and it would give them time to develop both sides of the force rather than it being a film about a baddie or a goodie maybe giving them a chance to explore the idea of balance and if the jedi truly are goodies

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â