Steven Gerrard retires from England

Avfc96

People are being too hard on gerrard. He was a fantastic player in his prime. And he's still a very very good player now.

However, what I'd agree on, is he's never carried that form into the England team. That's not all his fault of course, but still. He's never even been half the player for England than he was for Liverpool.

The one where they got completely outplayed by a poor West Ham side, again.

Great goal though.

Now you're being ridiculous. Liverpool may have been poor on the day, but Gerrard with 2 goals and an assist for Djibril Cisse was superb. If you can't see that his performance in that game was impressive then to be honest there is no point in us debating.

I hate the 'retiring from England' thing, not sure when it started, Scholes is the first I can recall but I really hate it.

Beckham didn't feel the need to retire from playing for England and neither did plenty of other players.

Its just another of a great big long list of things wrong with English football.

Still, I guess it saves a weak manager like Hodgson from having to make a tough decision.

• Like 3

I hate the 'retiring from England' thing, not sure when it started, Scholes is the first I can recall but I really hate it.

Beckham didn't feel the need to retire from playing for England and neither did plenty of other players.

Its just another of a great big long list of things wrong with English football.

Still, I guess it saves a weak manager like Hodgson from having to make a tough decision.

Not many things I could agree with more than this sentence.

AN emotional speech confirming Steven Gerrard’s retirement from England duty has been marred by loud praise from Frank Lampard.

England manager Roy Hodgson instructed Gerrard to take a seat across the room where he was almost inaudible and looked uncomfortable. Lampard was then told to sit next to Gerrard for no apparent reason and kept piping up.

Journalist Bill McKay said: “I thought a player like Gerrard would be able to produce a much more effective retirement at international level, but it just didn’t happen.

“Gerrard began to speak about his pride at having represented his country, but he was immediately drowned out by Lampard who was trying to warmly compliment his contribution.

“They both stopped before both starting again at exactly the same time.

“Hodgson did his best to direct things, but it just made the situation worse.”

Critics have suggested the press conference may have gone more smoothly had Gerrard been alone or possibly accompanied by Jordan Henderson.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/gerrard-retirement-speech-accidentally-ruined-by-lampard-2014072388860

• Like 1

think Shearer was probably the 1st

think Shearer was probably the 1st

Yeah good call, pre-dates scholes by 4 years.

Players from all countries 'retire' from international football. Lahm recently retired from the German national team. There are many things wrong with English football, but retiring from international football is not unique to England.

Players from all countries 'retire' from international football. Lahm recently retired from the German national team. There are many things wrong with English football, but retiring from international football is not unique to England.

I didn't say it was

And which bit of that says it only happens with English players?

Thats not what I'm getting at. You say players retiring from football is something wrong with English football. But my point is it happens with al;l players and there is nothing wrong with players retiring from international football. Many players have retired from the Spanish team over the last 4 years, hasn't done them much harm. And a few German players have retired too, ditto. So I don't think it is something wrong or bad.

Anyway I'm moving on from this >>>>>

Thats not what I'm getting at. You say players retiring from football is something wrong with English football. But my point is it happens with al;l players and there is nothing wrong with players retiring from international football. Many players have retired from the Spanish team over the last 4 years, hasn't done them much harm. And a few German players have retired too, ditto. So I don't think it is something wrong or bad.

I don't agree with any player retiring from playing for their country while they are still professional footballer irrespective of their nationality. I think you should be available should the manager select you once you've accepted that first cap, just as I don't think its acceptable for international players to pick and choice when they play in friendlies.

You seemed to be saying I've said this was something that only happens in England. I haven't because quite clearly it isn't.

It is though very different retiring after winning a World Cup to doing it when your country has one of the worst international sides it has had in 20 years.

So while players retiring from England duty isn't unique to English football I still see it as being one of the things wrong with English football and that isn't the same as in Spain or Germany even if their players also retire.

Shouldn't have gone top the world cup  , that he did probably shows either the lack of ability or the lack of judgement with the manager ( or both imo)

I don't doubt he has been a great player for Liverpool , but for England he's been rather under whelming all in all

But Roy has a chance now to build a team from scratch without building one on reputations so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with

I think Steven Gerrard was a greater footballer than Ryan GIggs and easily one of the best to play in the Premiier league.

Really

Yes really, if you put Giggs in the Liverpool sides that Gerrard played in no way would Giggs have made as big as an impact. Giggs was excellent as a youngster and then again in his thirties where I guess he reinvented himself but I think for chunks of his career he was overrated.

Edit: Maybe overrated is the wrong word but I do think Gerrard was the better player.

Edited by useless

Â