Steven Gerrard retires from England

Avfc96

good riddance, vastly overated, ego cult of the gerrard finally extiniguished. as Rev said, such a shame it led to the end of Scholes - a vast, vastly superior player at international level. Was really good for about 5 years but otherwise so absurdly over-rated it's untrue

• Like 1

Im as anti Gerrard as much as the next man but hes has been an OK player for England and hasnt really kept many others out the team. <br />

<br />

He was one of the best players in the qualifiers but was poor at the main tournament. <br />

Not arguing, I just think a guy who was possibly world class between 2003 and 2008 and has 114 caps for his country deserves a bit more respect and credit then some of the posters on here are giving.

• Like 3

I think now is the right time for him to step down. He has represented his country well, (arguably not aswell as he should have) but can't deny he wears the shirt with pride.

New England captain will be interesting appointment. I think it will go to Rooney, and hope it has the same effect that it does for ronaldo at Portugal. Apart from Rooney only others I see as possible candidates are hart and Cahill?

Utterly mediocre England player, of his 100 odd caps he played well for like 10 of them. Could always count on him to underwhelm, good riddance I say, achieved absolutely **** all alongside the other over hyped footballers from the 'olden generation'.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Good player on his day who we would have had at the club in a heart beat. However he was never world class just like most of the so called 'golden generation'. He lost whatever pace he had a couple of seasons ago but sentimental old Liverpool rearranged the side to accommodate him in this deeper role. It's just a shame that Hodgson decided to copy that oh so smart idea in Brazil.

You shouldn't be surprised Gerrard has never ever been well liked.

In part because of how successful he was as a PL player and partly because he never really reproduced it for England. But mostly because of the whole 'Stevie G' thing and the press collective rim job they've given him year after year while telling us we should all love him for some reason I've never been able to comprehend.

If he was quitting football he would perhaps get more respect but as a retiring England player on the back of being captain of a shambolic England WC performance and the things I already mentioned the reaction is in my view understandable and that's before I even get on to the topic of nightclub DJ's.

Oh and all the BS about how much he loves Liverpool is a large part of why I don't like him.

Agreed the media love in for Gerrard was little short of astounding. Rooney would be a very poor choice as the new captain and bizarrely the press hate him and could not wait to put the boot in whilst leaving Gerrard alone.

All England players are rubbish for the national side maybe they just shine in the Premier league because it's overrated and not as hard to play in.

6 different European Finalists in 10 years is a pretty okay record for an easy league.

• Like 1

Gerrard is the definition of overhyped English footballers, Even in his "greatest" performance he had a good 10 minutes against Ac Milan in that Champions League final but its never mentioned that Liverpool were 3-0 down because he went missing and gave Kaka the freedom of Istanbul in first half.

think when Rooney goes then English football might develop past some long ball 100 mph hour rubbish which has got them nowhere for so long

• Like 1

Â