Steven Gerrard retires from England

Avfc96

Right decision.

Shame that Hodgson did not use a diamond formation in Brazil which would have suited Gerrard and the whole team better.

Rooney is the obvious replacement as captain - he has nearly 100 caps and he's been playing for England for more than a decade now.

gerrard to me summed up one of our biggest problems over the last decade, he's a brilliant premier league player, smashes 60 yard passes, smashes 30 yard screamers, smashes in to tackles, everything at 100mph... international football isnt played like that...

not sure who will be next, probably rooney because he's the biggest name, the biggest duty of the england captain is to do all those marketing campaigns for the FA isnt it? if roy picks it based on who is pretty much guaranteed to start then id say hart

Good.  Should have happened years ago.  Gerrard is a massively talented player but he isn't a team player, his constant walkabouts and "hollywood" passes don't make up for the occasional screamer he scores.  The fact that Paul Scholes was moved out on to the wing to accommodate Stevie Mee remains a travesty. 

Sums it up very well, the only thing I would add is that he played 114 times for England and I struggle to name 5 games where he performed at anywhere near the level he did for Liverpool at his peak (which is a good 5+years ago).

Fingers crossed Lampard does the same thing. People criticise Heskey but at least he had the balls to call time on his England career to ensure he did not hold back the next generation coming through, sadly Stevie Mee didn't do the same and we have had 2-4 extra years of a past it footballer

• Like 1

Rooney is the obvious replacement as captain 

He's a petulant word removed, regularly courts controversy, and you'd struggle to find a worse role model. So he's pretty much perfect for the England captaincy.

• Like 1

Joe Hart will probably get the captains armband.  Not that it matters, being captain of an international team is a fairly pointless job, the main thing it seems to do is make you more marketable to sponsors. 

Â