Steven Gerrard retires from England

Avfc96

Euro 2000, World Cup 2010 and world cup 2006. 

Scored a great penalty in 2006 against Portugal and was brilliant when Germany dicked all over us in 2010.

Yes lets selectively ignore the goals and assists he got in both those world cups. 

Well the assists and goals don't matter if you can't do it when it counts

Only losers would qualify any major tournament he entered as successful, and the notion he performed for us even remotely when it mattered is laughable, Over 100 caps, amazing.

Baggio missed a penalty in the shoot out in 1994. Did he have a bad tournament too? Gerrard scored a good goal and played well against USA and got another assist too. 

World Cup 10 and 06. Just no. He was ok in 06 and very poor in 10.

He was class in 2006, I don't understand how anyone can't see that. 

Nobody was good in the 2010 World Cup. Gerrard just scored an early goal against the United States...then the rest of the tournament happened.

Good.  Should have happened years ago.  Gerrard is a massively talented player but he isn't a team player, his constant walkabouts and "hollywood" passes don't make up for the occasional screamer he scores.  The fact that Paul Scholes was moved out on to the wing to accommodate Stevie Mee remains a travesty. 

How about Gerrard being moved out on to the wing at the 2010 World Cup?

Scored a great penalty in 2006 against Portugal and was brilliant when Germany dicked all over us in 2010.

Yes lets selectively ignore the goals and assists he got in both those world cups. 

Well the assists and goals don't matter if you can't do it when it counts

Only losers would qualify any major tournament he entered as successful, and the notion he performed for us even remotely when it mattered is laughable, Over 100 caps, amazing.

Baggio missed a penalty in the shoot out in 1994. Did he have a bad tournament too? Gerrard scored a good goal and played well against USA and got another assist too. 

He played well against the USA?

That is quite a feat tbf.

Hang on a minute Rodders, you ignored my Baggio 1994 question. Secondly the USA had a decent team in 2010, got to the knock out stage, you can only beat who is in front of you. 

Are you comparing Baggio in 94 to Gerrard in 06?

If so then that is a hell of a stretch my friend. Baggio was sensational the whole tournament, so for me, the penalty miss never tainted his tournament. Gerrard's penalty miss was a in the midst of a long line of England bottling jobs for him.

• Like 2

Hang on a minute Rodders, you ignored my Baggio 1994 question. Secondly the USA had a decent team in 2010, got to the knock out stage, you can only beat who is in front of you. 

...but we didn't beat them. We never came close, we conceded a goal and Stevie Me goes missing again.

No I'm not comparing the 2 respective performances, but you made the comment that his good work early in the tournament was undone because when it came to the crunch i.e the penalties he missed. 

Seconly he did not go missing in that game, but I guess it is all about opinions.

Edited by Voinjama

...but we didn't beat them. We never came close, we conceded a goal and Stevie Me goes missing again.

That is my recollection also.

I think the understandable anger towards the so called 'golden generation' and their inability to match expectations has clouded peoples views to be honest. But I don't blame you, it's understandable. 

I think the understandable anger towards the so called 'golden generation' and their inability to match expectations has clouded peoples views to be honest. But I don't blame you, it's understandable. 

They were all quality players, that is the thing.

Gerrard was a quality player,no doubt.

The second we came up against any decent team in the knockouts we failed, miserably. We never came close to achieving expections. Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Rio, Terry, Cole, Neville, Owen. Great players, shame 3 of them for 20 caps too many.

I blame the managers more than the players. I think England managers always have the tendency to try and accomodate stars at the expense of the team.

I blame the managers more than the players. I think England managers always have the tendency to try and accomodate stars at the expense of the team.

That I agree totally with. The obsession with trying to shoe horn him and Lampard into the same team from 2003-2011 was terrible. It was obvious it did not work. 

Â