What formation suits our team and players best?

villalad21

People keep putting N'Zogbia on the wing in these speculative formations and I wonder if they saw him play there for us. It was painful because he wanders off not just defensively but attackingly - I remember so many times our midfield would look for an outlet on his wing and he would have gone walkabout. I think he has potential to be very good for us but throughout his career I have only ever been impressed by him in a roaming role off the striker.

When given a chance in the side, nzog was played in the midfield three and not the attacking three. That is and never has been his strength. If he was played in the attacking three over gabby or weimann I'm sure we would see more. Him and Benteke linked well together fir the bread periods they were together in the side.

Legitimate question: What part of having 3 CBs in a 5-3-2/3-5-2 and failing miserably with this formation last season makes people want to continue to use it?

We failed miserably with whatever formation we played, we just were lucky enough that there were three teams ever so slight poorer than us...just

These formations you people have come up with,are any designed to score goals?

While I do agree with you I picked a team/system that would hopefully makes us much harder to beat. That has to be priority number one! If

You can even defend as a unit you may as well give it up, we aren't good enough to "out score" the opposition.

I do actually prefer 433 systems with two wide/inside forwards. When we played Liverpool at anfield they had two central mid players & with our extra man we dominated the centre.

Controlling the midfield usually means controlling the game.

Edited by mightysasquatch

Legitimate question: What part of having 3 CBs in a 5-3-2/3-5-2 and failing miserably with this formation last season makes people want to continue to use it? 

I don't think any of our full backs are any good defensively so I prefer the idea of just committing them to wingbacks and having the extra cb as cover. Also the success that the Netherlands had with it using our very own Vlaar has made me favour it as well. 

• Like 1

Interesting formations and opinions for sure, Clark as CDM.....madness...or is it?!

Well it is because he's always getting the ball stuck under his feet and his passing is always too short but it highlights the fact we don't have a real CDM despite have a deep lying midfielder in Westwood...he perhaps really is this best option at the club...apart from Herd.

It's funny as the same questions keep getting asked, where are goals going to come from, where the width it and who is going to win the ball....we've been talking about these problems for years now, I can't believe I'm actually missing Gavin McCann.

Going with our current available squad.                          

Guzan

Hutton     Vlaar          Okore       Richardson

Herd

Bacuna    Westwood    Delph

Cole/Nzog

Bent

Defensive minded, sure, but could transform to the following without the need for subs:

Guzan

Hutton     Vlaar          Okore       Herd

Bacuna    Westwood    Delph  Richardson

Cole/Nzog

Bent

Yes, people may scoff at Herd but I like him and I think he'd do a job at DM and would have no problem covering LB position. If you wanted to make it more attacking then replace Cole with Weimann or Gabby and play two up top, or simply replace Cole with N'zog if you want to keep either of the above formations. You could start with N'zog and replace with Cole later on in the game - neither will give 90 minutes (personally, I'd start with Cole). Bacuna looks ok down a wing, so if he goes off on a run then Herd can slot into the midfield three. 

It is light on attackers, but having a DM gives you the option to sub him for any position required later on in a game when you may need to attack and score goals (by playing a 4-3-1-2 formation for example, Herd off Weimann or Gabby on). Plus, you can switch positions with relative ease. Herd can play DM, CM, CB and can cover RB and LB. Richardson can play LB or LM. Bacuna RCM, RM or RB. 

Edited by kasabian21

Â