Kieran Richardson

Nabby

Decent signing IMO. Better than Bennett, better than Moon and Bertrand didn't want to be here anyway.

Another 2 year deal? May be when/if this 'takeover' goes through in the next 12 months, if the new owners don't rate them, they'll be relatively easy to get off the books as they'll potentially be in the last year of their respective contracts.

Decent enough. To my mind the clubs biggest problem is going to be the fans being so pessimistic....whilst understanable in some respects the recruitment of Keane, senderos, Cole, and Richardson, have all been met with lots of disapproval.....yet on each cade a good case can be mde for thinking they will

L improve us. However, the team will have no chance against such a negative backdrop.

I'd say on the whole fans haven't complained to much about Richardson and Keane, or even Cole for that matter.

Senderos is awful and even then most fans accept he is probably slightly better than Clark and Baker

Maybe not so much complained ..although there's a fair few negatives on here, and against Keane and Cole, but more a general mood of despair !...which I think is unwarranted ...if pl does his bit the signings together with the return of the injured bodes fair rather than awful in my view

I can't say how you think it's unwarranted. We had a shocking season finishing on a awful run of form. The owner wants to sell but can't, the CEO has resigned, a lot of fans have turned against the manager. Our two goal scoring threats aren't fit, two of our best players are heading into their final 12 months and we're signing experienced players not wanted or needed by very average teams.

I like the idea of trying to stay positive but that would ignore a lot.

• Like 3

I think this is a reasonable signing on face value, if a bit 'meh', but it does depend on the opportunity costs, ie does KR's wages prevent us signing a super duper centre midfielder (I'm not using the phrase DM, as we're not playing football manager), something that we'll never know.

Edited by EastEndVillan

In terms of an improvement, he's not better than Bertrand so in that sense we're weaker than how we finished last season..

Bertrand was nothing special but you make a valid point.

Bertrand was pretty poor, started well and then went to shit. Going forward his delivery was bad and he was caught out many a time due to his poor positioning. 

• Like 1

Decent enough. To my mind the clubs biggest problem is going to be the fans being so pessimistic....whilst understanable in some respects the recruitment of Keane, senderos, Cole, and Richardson, have all been met with lots of disapproval.....yet on each cade a good case can be mde for thinking they will

L improve us. However, the team will have no chance against such a negative backdrop.

I'd say on the whole fans haven't complained to much about Richardson and Keane, or even Cole for that matter.

Senderos is awful and even then most fans accept he is probably slightly better than Clark and Baker

Maybe not so much complained ..although there's a fair few negatives on here, and against Keane and Cole, but more a general mood of despair !...which I think is unwarranted ...if pl does his bit the signings together with the return of the injured bodes fair rather than awful in my view
I can't say how you think it's unwarranted. We had a shocking season finishing on a awful run of form. The owner wants to sell but can't, the CEO has resigned, a lot of fans have turned against the manager. Our two goal scoring threats aren't fit, two of our best players are heading into their final 12 months and we're signing experienced players not wanted or needed by very average teams.

I like the idea of trying to stay positive but that would ignore a lot.

There's this game they play, on the pitch. 11 v 11. It's all I really concern myself with these days, everything else to me is filler, to take or leave. It's not that I don't care, far from it, I just realise that to a large degree there not much I can do to affect it. So I try not to let it get me down, to soil my enjoyment of the game itself, those precious 90 minutes when it's just me and you and her. My Villa. Our Villa.

I don't knock those involved deeper than that. We're all a part of the same club and we all have our own ways of supporting, ultimately, each other. I only hope they're still enjoying it.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

In terms of an improvement, he's not better than Bertrand so in that sense we're weaker than how we finished last season..

Ummm, Bertrand was on Loan, Richardson is not.   Whether that's weaker on the field or not is debatable.  But it's not weaker from a business perspective.  If nothing else, Richardson can play against Fulham....

Do you think we were the only club in for him?

No chance. Even reasonably poor prem players on high wages will attract interest (unless they play for us).

A team that finished top half like Stoke signed Sidwell and Bardsley on frees after all. Richardson is in that same bracket.

I've criticised our first two signings for different reasons but I'm o.k with this one, Richardson has generally been reasonable whenever I've seen him for Sunderland or Fulham and he can play in a few different positions which is a bonus if Lambert wants to change formation.

Richardson stated as a central midfielder right? I've just been looking at his stats, he played 36 times for Manchester United the one season winning a title, from memory the majority were in midfield. That's nothing to be sniffed at, we're not taking Djemba Djemba here.

It broke down for him there after a fall out with Fergie, and at Sunderland he was farmed out by a barmy manager. Much to Fulham's benefit, they seem to be absolutely gutted he has left.

I've seen flashes of him over the years and I've always thought wouldn't it be nice to have a player like that. Bags of energy, pace, awareness and an eye for goal.

Welcome to the club.

• Like 2

Yeah at United it was typical young player making the big time attitude but he did seem to knuckle down at Sunderland. Interesting that Roy Keane signed him after criticising him at United in that infamous tape interview after they got hammered at Boro. And has seemingly recommended him again.

Let's remember we were signing these sorts of players in MON's golden era aswell unless you think the likes of Beye, Shorey and Knight were of a higher standard.

Another with experience, not a "sexy" signing by any means but he's an improvement on most of our midfielders and is a better LB than any we currently have.

Welcome Kieran Richardson. 

Ummm, Bertrand was on Loan, Richardson is not. Whether that's weaker on the field or not is debatable. But it's not weaker from a business perspective. If nothing else, Richardson can play against Fulham....

Is that what we're cheering now? Signings from a business perspective?

From a quality perspective Richardson is worse than Bertrand. If you disagree I'd like to read why.

Ummm, Bertrand was on Loan, Richardson is not. Whether that's weaker on the field or not is debatable. But it's not weaker from a business perspective. If nothing else, Richardson can play against Fulham....
Is that what we're cheering now? Signings from a business perspective?

From a quality perspective Richardson is worse than Bertrand. If you disagree I'd like to read why.

On the flip side, what makes you believe Bertrand is that much better than Richardson?

Bertrand has very limited PL experience and it says at least a little bit that Chelsea favored playing a RB over him at LB. On loan at Villa, Bertrand had one or two decent matches...outside of that he offered very little when he got forward, and when he was getting upfield he constantly left us overexposed on the flanks due to his inability to recover...

• Like 1

Â