Kieran Richardson

Nabby

Whilst Richardson isn't the most exciting signing in the world... £8m for Bertrand is an absolute joke :o

Is it? Playing devils advocate here, I know a lot of this is down to Chairman issues.

Say you get 4 years from a left back who always starts, is good enough and only gets replaced as you search for young players to compete with him, that's a good thing right? £2million a year plus wages.

But say you decide £8million is too much, you buy a left back, let's call him Bennet, doesn't cost you much, plays poorly, still costs wages. but because he doesn't cost you much you decide to replace him, in this time he's also cost you league place prize money.

You get someone called Luna who again struggles, isn't the most competent defender and you still pay wages and a transfer fee to. He also didn't cost you much so you get in someone else, perhaps loaning someone who still costs wages and a fee, they become your best option...but they're not yours.

So you go out and buy another player, this time free, on higher wages due to reputation but at a stage of his career where you might only get 2 years until they drop....you still need them to improve as they've had a very average career so far.

Is this tactic going to cost you more than £8million over that period....I'd say so.

Bertrand definitely struggled a little toward the end of the season but he showed signs of being a good player for sure, sometimes it's important to have a position cemented with a player who makes that position dependable, sometimes quality over a longer period of time is imperative to success and stability.

£8m is definitely too much for Bertrand. As I've pointed out before, all his stats for the season are worse than Luna's. That doesn't mean he's a worse player, but it's a pretty good indicator he isn't as much of an improvement as advertised. He looked good for 3 or 4 games, and average to dreadful in the rest. I started out hoping we picked him up, but I don't feel that way any more. 

Richardson, Cole, Senderos... I want to use the word 'safe' for the signings but that might be the wrong word. PL experience most definitely, and probably what we need depth wise in the squad. Underwhelming, yes, but required IMO.

Have we signed him?

I think he's ok but it's a bit worrying we will have 2 defenders that played for a team that got relegated last season, Although I know Senderos left in Jan.

Not that it's exactly the same, but Vlaar and Benteke have been playing for a team that has been battling relegation for the past 2 seasons.
I see what you mean but Vlaar and Benteke are the reasons we didn't get relegated. Senderos couldn't even make the team that did. Would need to ask a Fulham fan about Richardson.

My point was that just because a team finishes somewhere (in Fulham's case in the relegation zone, in our case 15th) doesn't mean all of the players in that team are of that quality.

Yes i understand that but one of our signings was not even good enough to get in the team that got relegated!

For what it's worth I don't mind us signing Richardson as he is better than what we have got and also has experience of a relegation battle.

Done deal. Welcome, Kieran.

BsRpJU-IEAAeqtS.jpg

Spink just been on the radio, reckons KR may be unpopular in the dressing room having worked with him at Sunderland. Described him as an interesting character.....

If he was unpopular with guys like Cattermole and Bardsley, that just makes me like him more.

• Like 2

Spink just been on the radio, reckons KR may be unpopular in the dressing room having worked with him at Sunderland. Described him as an interesting character.....

Well it would help if he actually worked with him. Steve Bruce is the one had bought Spink which was after Keane.

Â