Kieran Richardson

Nabby

I don't get the dislike. I think he's an incredibly average player, but we are aiming to be an incredibly average team.

Out wide in his natural position he is average but when he plays centrally he is just hopelessly awful. I hope never to see him play there again.

Edited by Isa

I don't get the dislike. I think he's an incredibly average player, but we are aiming to be an incredibly average team. If we had better players around him, or if he were on the bench, I don't think we'd be concerned with his averageness at all.

I'll say this for him, I thought he was poor Saturday but at least he stood up and had a go at trying to create something. As previously stated, the players in front of him were busy playing musical statues.

I feel the same way. At least I saw him on the TV, I don't think I saw Gabby all game. 

Two totally different players;.

But both playing in the same position.

I don't remember Albrighton playing CM.

That's interesting because I didn't think Richardson applies his trade as CM either :-)

Stoke, Hull, Newcastle and Everton (more so in the first half) (sorry Donnie) he played centre midfield.

I find he keeps giving the ball away, twice against Everton he tried a simple lay off to the overlapping Cissokho but under hit the pass both times. A simple pass on both occasions got it completely wrong.

I'm yet to see him have a good game for us.

Two totally different players;.

But both playing in the same position.

I don't remember Albrighton playing CM.

That's interesting because I didn't think Richardson applies his trade as CM either :-)

Stoke, Hull, Newcastle and Everton (more so in the first half) (sorry Donnie) he played centre midfield.

He may have been dropped in there for the odd game for cover but like I said, he has applied his trade as a winger for probably the vast part of his career. Bit like us saying Clark/Baker are left backs.

Ps, I was at the Stoke game and unless my lamps are on the way out he started the game out wide.

I find he keeps giving the ball away, twice against Everton he tried a simple lay off to the overlapping Cissokho but under hit the pass both times. A simple pass on both occasions got it completely wrong.

Did you not see the Stoke and Hull games? Just out of interest.

• Like 1

Did you not see the Stoke and Hull games? Just out of interest.

I saw them both and i cant say he was outstanding in either games. They were his better games but if thats him at his best.. at 30 years old.. well id prefer to see a young kid like Grealish or even Gardner have a go and give them a run of games to see how good they can be. Hes not good enough to be a regular in our starting side. On the bench or around the squad. Especially at CM. Hes a poor player who adds nothing to the midfield when playing alongside Delph and Westwood. Our midfielders are all too similar. Give Sanchez a run at DM.. let him get used to the pace of the premier league. He cant sit back and cover while the rest go on the attack. Westwood and Cleverley are even too similar and shouldnt  play in the same side IMO. Sanchez Delph and Cleverley at fully fit should be in the run on side.

I didn't say he was outstanding. His work rate in both games and his assist and general involvement in both our goals against Hull were crucial. I've yet to see any of that from any of our youngsters outside of Weimann in a very long time.

You want a return to "young and hungry" already?

I didn't say he was outstanding. His work rate in both games and his assist and general involvement in both our goals against Hull were crucial. I've yet to see any of that from any of our youngsters outside of Weimann in a very long time.

You want a return to "young and hungry" already?

No but theres a middle ground. Sanchez needs time to develop. He should be starting week to week until he gets used to the pace. If hes awful beyond belief then fair enough.. but he wasnt that bad.. he was off the pace as you would expect. I would like to see Gardner get a similar extended run. Same thing happened with Delph. He was poor for a lot of his run and only started playing well last season.. but he needed games in the Premier League to see what hes made of. Similar thing with Gardner. I just dont see the point in Richardson.. He doesnt offer much in defence or attack.. hes not even a luxury player.. decent squad player but we could do better in starting side.

• 2 weeks later...

He contributed a fair bit to our good start of the season. Why hasn't he been playing the last couple of games?

Reasonably safe and solid, has work rate and offers something in attack too with imaginative and incisive runs. Assist against Hull comes to mind.

I'd put him in the team at the moment over Sanchez especially since Delph is out.

Sanchez - Westwood - Cleverley is just too anaemic and deep. None of them make any runs in behind whatsoever and we wonder why we absolutely struggle to even create chances much less score.

I wouldn't go dropping Sanchez to be honest. He plays in a position that needs plenty of game time to get him up to speed with the league, and based on what I've seen from him he looks like he'll be a handy enough player once he's adjusted. Our midfield is a bit of a conundrum - too many guys that do the same thing, or are played to do the same thing. It's all a little baffling at times. What exactly is the master plan with having the midfield we do?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought his thread deserves being bumped up. He was pretty impressive today, much better in possession than I've seen him so far.

Indeed.

I maintain the dislike displayed in this thread is completely unjustified. His versatility and his work rate are an asset and he can play a bit too. The likes of he and Bacuna are perfectly decent squad players we should be pleased to have. 

• Like 1

My problem was when he was starting every game in practically a No. 10 role. Today he played deeper and he seemed a lot more assured. As you say though, certainly an adequate squad option to have around.

Â