Kieran Richardson

Nabby

I reckon most people consider 'best offer' to mean wages. But if that's what the quoted posters meant, though true, it's a pretty pointless thing to say. ;) It's like when someone says, "You'll find your keys in the last place you look", which is true because you then stop looking.

Wasn't that his point Rob? :)

That it was pointless, I mean.

Edited by AVTuco

While I agree with a lot of that I still don't think any of them had better offers.

Okay. I think Cole and Richardson did have better offers and chose to come here instead (though I suspect Senderos didn't). I guess neither of us really knows who's right. It's not really relevant, though. What's relevant is how they do for us now that they're here. Hope they all have good seasons.

Good signing imo.

Versatile, experienced and better than what we currently have.

Haven't you heard? He can't be any good, because the club he just signed with is crap. #circulargloom

oh have you not heard, it was my understanding that everyone had heard...

• Like 4

With Guzan, Senderos, Vlaar, Hutton, Richardson, Cole, and Bent potentially in the line up it's an interesting turn around for Lambert. It will be a bit closer to what he had at Norwich which was largely a success. There's quality somewhere in those players if he can dig deep and tap into it.

With Guzan, Senderos, Vlaar, Hutton, Richardson, Cole, and Bent potentially in the line up it's an interesting turn around for Lambert. It will be a bit closer to what he had at Norwich which was largely a success. There's quality somewhere in those players if he can dig deep and tap into it.

There is no quality in Senderos, not a smidgen.

I think Richardson and Cole will surpirse quite a few people.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know how Richardson has been performing in our other pre-season games? I thought he was yesterday against Parma.

Time for him to get used to his teammates of course but he didn't look an improvement on anyone else we already had at the club IMO.

You could say the same about anyone out there yesterday with the exception of Grealish.

I've always liked the look of Richardson and was pleased we signed him. The difference this summer is that we're signing players who have proved that they can play at this level  rather than gamble with unknowns from abroad or the lower leagues. it is a tactic often used by newly promoted sides and teams who know they're in for a rough ride to stay in the division. It may not set the world alight but it will hopefully be enough to avoid relegation. This sadly, is the only aim for the forthcoming season.

As others have pointed out, with the budget available and restraints on wages, there will not be any marque signings. I think its an absolute disgrace that AVFC should operate in such a way, with even teams such as Hull, Sunderland, West Ham, Stoke etc looking down their noses at us. We are where we are, have been for some time now, you're only kidding yourself by expecting anything more.

• Like 3

Surprised to find this thread off the front page given he made his debut yesterday....

... and did a good job too, imo. Worked hard in an advanced role and set up what should have been our opener through sheer bloodymindedness.

His effort and determination were top notch yesterday. I can see why Keano supposedly recommended him. He was constantly popping up in both 18 yard boxes and made a really important contribution to us getting the victory.

Wouldn't say he looked quality, I thought he worked hard and did some simple things well.  Wasn't a massive threat and i'm not sure that's his best position.  I would prefer to see him more of a wide player.  And a really stupid free kick to give away near the end.

Looks a positive signing though and one that will add to the squad this year.

I'm pretty pleased with the work he put in yesterday and I thought he performed great. Not to get ahead of myself, but if we can carry on looking like a unit like we did against Stoke, this season shouldn't be as horrific as last season. I still think we might struggle for a couple of spells, but I'm very happy to see some more discipline on the pitch and that can only work in our favor. I think Richardson will be a good asset for Villa during the season and I'm glad to see him here.

Â