Semi-Finals: BRZ GER NED ARG

limpid

I don't really care who wins, as long as it isn't Germany.........I think if they win then when we look back on the 2014 World Cup in 20-30 years time it will be remembered for a very controlled, sterile and solid Germany win, rather than the following-

Netherlands winning their first ever World Cup, destroying the current holders 5-1 in their first game, crazy penalty shoot-out keepers, and Villa having a World Cup winning captain in their ranks.

OR

Argentina winning the World Cup on their arch-enemies soil, with Lionel Messi proving once and for all he is the greatest player of all time (in my opinion) by dragging a weak Argentine team through the competition.

OR

Brazil winning their own World Cup, after losing their star man with a broken back in the quarter final, and battling through despite fielding arguably their weakest team in World Cup history

It might just be me, but I like a bit of 'romance' with my World Cup and it has definitely delivered so far, and any of the above happening will add to it. Germany winning it would take a lot of the romance out of the whole tournament,and make it less memorable as time goes on.

I want the Argentina scenario so we can tell kids, grandkids we watched the best player EVER lift the World Cup.

Jordan Bowery is Argentinian ?

• Like 1

I don't really care who wins, as long as it isn't Germany.........I think if they win then when we look back on the 2014 World Cup in 20-30 years time it will be remembered for a very controlled, sterile and solid Germany win, rather than the following-

Netherlands winning their first ever World Cup, destroying the current holders 5-1 in their first game, crazy penalty shoot-out keepers, and Villa having a World Cup winning captain in their ranks.

OR

Argentina winning the World Cup on their arch-enemies soil, with Lionel Messi proving once and for all he is the greatest player of all time (in my opinion) by dragging a weak Argentine team through the competition.

OR

Brazil winning their own World Cup, after losing their star man with a broken back in the quarter final, and battling through despite fielding arguably their weakest team in World Cup history

It might just be me, but I like a bit of 'romance' with my World Cup and it has definitely delivered so far, and any of the above happening will add to it. Germany winning it would take a lot of the romance out of the whole tournament,and make it less memorable as time goes on.

I want the Argentina scenario so we can tell kids, grandkids we watched the best player EVER lift the World Cup.

They won't have it though. They will insist Messi (and Cristiano Ronaldo) played caveman football and the guy who happens to be the best active player in the world at the time is in fact the best player ever.  Every generation needs their own heroes, just look at how quickly the biggest names of the 90s and 80s have been forgotten, even claims that Maradona was the best ever are often met with "piss off grandad" these days. 

If we get a goal as good as this in the Netherlands vs Argentina game I will be all :wub:

I'm hoping for a Netherlands vs Germany final. Don't like Brazil much this year, they are dirty bastards who have profited from some very generous refereeing decisions and I don't want to see them kick their way to the trophy. The other semi requires less explanation. Concrete Ron in a World Cup final? YES PLEASE.

Roa has the misfortune of being the goalkeeper who let in probably the two most memorable goals of the '98 World Cup

At the age of 30 I think the best 2 international level goals I've ever seen (fwiw bergkamp also has my favourite v Newcastle too)

They've just talked about Brazils fouling, more than anyone else, fernandinho has 26 fouls so far, was interesting that pretty much every german interviewed in the last couple of days has mentioned it too, obviously sowing the seed