Last 16: Tuesday 1st ARG SWI BEL USA

limpid

Is the curse of Manaus a thing? The stadium in the middle of nowhere with weather from hell saw four games in the group stages.  Eight teams have played there so far, six of the eight have played other games since visiting Manaus and in the game immediately following the visit five of those six have lost (Italy, England, Cameroon, Croatia and the United States) with only Portugal winning their next game after coming back from the Amazon.    The remaining two teams who played there were Honduras (out) and Switzerland, who play Argentina today.  I wonder if going up there really is a disadvantage?  Statistically it's looking like it is. 

In terms of miles travelled between venues, the USA logged the most after the group stage. Not doing us any favors by playing in another sweltering climate in Bahia...

Belgium to me have not really looked that interested, whereas what the USA lacks in skill, they make up for in spirit. I've predicted 1-1 after extra time with Belgium to show their professional cool and win on penalties.

USA to win 2-0. this Belgium team were never going to live up to the ridiculous pre-tournament hype they got and their lack of full backs will give Johnson the freedom of the pitch

USA to win 2-0. this Belgium team were never going to live up to the ridiculous pre-tournament hype they got and their lack of full backs will give Johnson the freedom of the pitch

Vertoghen likes to attack from that LB spot but does not get back quick enough. That is something the US could look to expose. Plus Belgium's centerbacks lack pace. If Altidore is back for tonight, I think USA can win it.

Vertoghen likes to attack from that LB spot but does not get back quick enough. That is something the US could look to expose. Plus Belgium's centerbacks lack pace. If Altidore is back for tonight, I think USA can win it.

Kompany lacks pace?

Kompany lacks pace?

Kompany may be out.

Kompany lacks pace?

No Kompany for tonight so that mean Van Buyten...