RTS Games

samjp26

As a kid, I absolutely loved playing RTS games. Command and Conquer, The Settlers, Age of Empires, Dune, you name it I'd play the shite out of it.

I haven't played an RTS for years, mainly because I simply haven't seen any pop up that I think may be good. I play Civ 5, which is as close as I've gotten recently.

Anybody got any newish titles worth playing or any that may be worth going back to from I dunno, 2008 onwards?

I had a look at Stronghold 3 but apparently it is pants.

Starcraft 2 is worth checking out. There's a free 'starter edition' that lets you play against the AI and play the first few missions to see whether you like it enough to buy it.

Yep Starcraft 2 is definitely where you should be looking, just be warned it has a much higher skill threshold than C&C and the like. It really does take a good while to get to a decent level at it.

You can have fun in the single player in Starcraft 2, I think that's the genius of the game, it's good for everybody.   The real competitive scene has moved away from RTS games and towards MOBA's these days, I guess they scratch the same itch even if they are technically different genres.  Might be worth checking out the likes of DotA2, League of Legends and Heroes of the Storm though. 

StarCraft 2 is fabulous an absolute triumph of a game with a good level of re-playability.

I bought the whole C&C anthology on t'internet for about £10 and am working my way through that....but its so much easier site easier than SC2 - although with developments in AI its easy to see why. In C&C if you just build a big **** off wall the enemy tanks drive up to it and park - if you are clever you can just wall in the enemy armour and smash it from the air. Not the case in SC2 where the AI actively tries to dick you over.

Aye, Starcraft 2 single player campaigns are really underrated. Great stories, great ideas (particularly in HotS); excellent humour and loads of popular culture references and both expansions are easily 20-30 hour campaigns. You also get access to hundreds of fan made games in arcade mode for free. 

Â