David Bentley retires aged 29

The_Steve

Yeah, or it isn't. It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't say what they really meant.

I think your posts are well thought out and have fantastic merit.

Stephen Ireland retired at 24, after his nans died.

Or his hamster.

Dog.

Duck.

Something.

Having been in that same position before, I can confirm that there is absolutely nothing as riotously hilarious as giving work a haphazard excuse as to why you need to miss a few days after your partner has a miscarriage. DEFINITELY something that needs to be brought up again and again every time your name is mentioned 

• Like 1

Or his hamster.

Dog.

Duck.

Something.

Having been in that same position before, I can confirm that there is absolutely nothing as riotously hilarious as giving work a haphazard excuse as to why you need to miss a few days after your partner has a miscarriage. DEFINITELY something that needs to be brought up again and again every time your name is mentioned

Indeed, assuming you're being sarcastic! Though in fairness, not everybody knows the truth behind that until it is pointed out to them. The cynic in me would also day if you're able to lie about one death...

Such a waste of talent. The pair of them.

• 7 months later...

i think he would have  a better career if he rejected the money and the london lifestyle and joined us under mon

I think he would have ended up in the exact same situation. Always gave it the billy big bollocks routine but never had the talent to back it up. If he was 20% as good as he thought he was then he might have made it. Thank god Villa never wasted any money on him.

• Like 3

problem was the media built him up as the new Beckham which he was far from. a good player but wasted talent. Just a player that looks good at a regional club but cant step up to the bigger teams similar to say N'zogbia and a few others down the years

i think he would have  a better career if he rejected the money and the london lifestyle and joined us under mon

I think he would have ended up in the exact same situation. Always gave it the billy big bollocks routine but never had the talent to back it up. If he was 20% as good as he thought he was then he might have made it. Thank god Villa never wasted any money on him.

He definitely had the talent.

i really think the spurs move ruine dhim. i think he would have  a better career if he rejected the money and the london lifestyle and joined us under mon

I wanted him at the time but we wouldn't have signed Milner then...and I doubt Bentley would've inspired us in 09/10 like Milner did.

I think he just hated playing football. 

I think he hated not getting the acclaim and status that he thought he was due. I remember an interview with him on SSN where he was going on about how it was time that he moved to a Champions League club (I think he was at Spurs at the time) even though he had just had a terrible season and couldn't get into the first XI. He thought he was one of the best players in the league and his enormous ego couldn't handle it that he was a journeyman also ran so he packed it in.  

Maybe I am being harsh on the lad as I don't know him personally but that's the way I see it from the outside anyway.

I think he hated not getting the acclaim and status that he thought he was due. I remember an interview with him on SSN where he was going on about how it was time that he moved to a Champions League club (I think he was at Spurs at the time) even though he had just had a terrible season and couldn't get into the first XI. He thought he was one of the best players in the league and his enormous ego couldn't handle it that he was a journeyman also ran so he packed it in.   Maybe I am being harsh on the lad as I don't know him personally but that's the way I see it from the outside anyway.

I think it was more to do with candleface being a childish brat and not playing him because he didn't like him on a personal level.

I think he hated not getting the acclaim and status that he thought he was due. I remember an interview with him on SSN where he was going on about how it was time that he moved to a Champions League club (I think he was at Spurs at the time) even though he had just had a terrible season and couldn't get into the first XI. He thought he was one of the best players in the league and his enormous ego couldn't handle it that he was a journeyman also ran so he packed it in. Maybe I am being harsh on the lad as I don't know him personally but that's the way I see it from the outside anyway.
I think it was more to do with candleface being a childish brat and not playing him because he didn't like him on a personal level.
'Arry didn't speak very highly of him on TalkSport in the week. The bucket of water over the head didn't help his career much.

Or his hamster.

Dog.

Duck.

Something.

What?? There is such a thing as citing 'personal reasons', 'a loss in the family' etc without having to lie about another SPECIFIC member of your family dying which could actually backfire (and in this case, DID backfire).

Its not the fact that he had the time off that caused the problem; its that he lied about his nan dying to cover for something else entirely.

If he was a hell of a lot less specific but maintained that the incident was a serious one; that, 9 times out of 10, would have been enough and nobody would have held it against him...

Edited by DJ_Villain

Indeed. You can still have shit for brains even when your missus has miscarried. Ireland would have probably been given a free pass had he not claimed it was his OTHER gran who had died when the first one not claimed she was very much alive when people checked. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Â