David Bentley retires aged 29

The_Steve

He's a bit of a word removed but I have to respect him for playing the game, milking it for all he could and then getting out on his own terms, presumably to spend more time with his family and to do the things he really wants to do at this stage in his life. 

I reckon he feels he's too good to drop down to an average championship team or league one team on a permanent, and because he feels that no teams on 'his level' are interested, he's conveniently lost love for the game. Or something like that.

I reckon he feels he's too good to drop down to an average championship team or league one team on a permanent, and because he feels that no teams on 'his level' are interested, he's conveniently lost love for the game. Or something like that.

If that is true then what's wrong with it?

Perhaps he doesn't want to play in a shit league with shit players? He's earned enough to retire so why not call it quits? 

Would you be happy to take a massive pay cut and work for a significantly worse company with worse colleagues if you had the money to retire? I don't think so.

• Like 1

Or, its for the reasons he has said.

I say fair play provided this is the last we see of him. If all of a sudden we see him in the media and crap like that then this is all rubbish and I have no respect at all for him, if he however slips into the background and lives a quiet family life then I have all the respect in the world for him as he has made a difficult choice but one that he feels improves the quality of his life

Yeah, or it isn't. It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't say what they really meant.

Yeah that there was an alternative was kind of already covered by the first or. :)

Personally I see no reason not to take him on his word. It seems better than judging him on what he hasn't said and there is no evidence to support.

I just thought stating as much was fairly obvious :) He could he telling it as it is, if so it's commendable to leave the game instead of taking a paycheque to be on someone's bench. I'm just slightly dubious, if not of his reasons right now, then more how he's come to that decision over the last few years of sitting in the sidelines.

It's easy to forget he had an excellent 07-08 for Blackburn, his stats were very good that year and he'd knuckled down away from the bright lights of London.

So I don't think it was the wisest move to return to the bright lights of London and Spurs who were a bit chaotic at the time with their squad building under Ramos.

Remember we were in for him that summer, I think he'd have done well for us but that would've meant no Milner so I'm reasonably happy how things panned out at that time.

It's easy to forget he had an excellent 07-08 for Blackburn, his stats were very good that year and he'd knuckled down away from the bright lights of London.

So I don't think it was the wisest move to return to the bright lights of London and Spurs who were a bit chaotic at the time with their squad building under Ramos.

Remember we were in for him that summer, I think he'd have done well for us but that would've meant no Milner so I'm reasonably happy how things panned out at that time.

He and Roque Santa Cruz were brilliant together for that one fantastic season.

Stephen Ireland retired at 24, after his nans died.

Or his hamster.

Dog.

Duck.

Something.

I think it was the hot pink rims on his Range Rover. They fell off or something. It would have been a sad day for anyone.

He's on Talksport at the moment. Stuart Pearce is giving him plenty of stick.

As in Stuart 'Yeah I'll be Forest manager but not until after the WC because I want to earn some easy cash and go to Brazil' Pearce, not sure he is in a position to be critical.

• Like 1

Â