Sky Sports 5

samjp26

Isn't Sky's 76mb fibre exactly the same as BTs? I would cancel right now if it wasn't for the CL still being with Sky.

They are currently giving me 76mb fibre with a phone line for £34 and I will somehow get half price sports from them when the season begins. About £55 probably in total by then.

I was looking last night and I think I can get a deal with BT with their sports plus Sky Sports for less than I'm currently paying for Sky

Isn't Sky's 76mb fibre exactly the same as BTs? I would cancel right now if it wasn't for the CL still being with Sky.

They are currently giving me 76mb fibre with a phone line for £34 and I will somehow get half price sports from them when the season begins. About £55 probably in total by then.

I was looking last night and I think I can get a deal with BT with their sports plus Sky Sports for less than I'm currently paying for Sky
How much do you pay for Sky? Have you tried 'cancelling'? They will give you half price on everything, I even managed to get a free line rental from them last year for 12 months.

I would love to move to BT right now, but with the offers I have right now I would be paying slightly more and I wouldn't have the big PL games or the CL

Edit: also Sky are bastards and won't let you have their Sports in HD on other networks. It will probably be their only card next summer.

Edited by villarule123

It'll be the same technology and the same physical connection until it gets to Sky's backbone, which apparently has decent capacity, but in reality doesn't work very well. http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/uk (Virgin must have seriously cranked up the juice recently, they were way down previously). Also, BT don't traffic manage, Sky do.

Has anyone made the move from Sky to BT? If so how did it go?

Yes, see my post last page. I didn't use Sky Sports much anyway so won't miss it. Never had Sky Movies either.

That doesn't include BBC HD and all the other free view channels though, which is free on every device.

I would also like to know what BT is like for people that used to be with Sky.. Speed of the box, broadband etc etc

The Humax box is very good but isn't quite as 'polished' as the Sky devices. They basically give you a Humax DTR-T2100 for £35 and it does have a lot of features, which can be a bit confusing. BT Infinity is second to none anyway.

That doesn't include BBC HD and all the other free view channels though, which is free on every device.

I would also like to know what BT is like for people that used to be with Sky.. Speed of the box, broadband etc etc

Well yeah, they're free to the world (or the UK at least, or anyone willing to point a dish at 28.2E) :P It's not their package though. It's not what you're paying for. 

Edited by PieFacE

To be fair, I enjoy watching neutral games on Sky far more than I enjoy watching Villa at Villa Park. At least the majority of times when watching football on Sky i'm entertained, isn't that what football's about? 

To simplify the argument (as it's a long and complex one) - Do you ever ask yourself why football at Villa Park is not as entertaining as it should be?

After all, with all the money floating around we should be watching the most technically gifted individuals that have ever graced the pitch.

But the everything wrong with modern football, the mercenary nature of the players, the uncompetitive nature of the competition, the ridiculous prices charged to punters (whose presence actually helps sell the league abroad), the pragmatic approach of teams (see Stoke and us) simply to survive on the gravy train rather than play football, agents and sports management companies leeching money from the system, the ginormous wages paid to people who can't trap a football or kick it with their wrong foot etc etc - it all has it's roots in the obsession of our game with money - money pouring into the game through television.

So yes, you can turn a blind eye to it all which I will not criticise you for doing so... or you could refuse to contribute a penny to the cause of the problem (subscription television).

Just a follow up from this conversation.

The one thing I really do hate about Sky moving games is their total disregard for the away fans. For example. Villa vs Newcastle has been moved 12:45. Their fans must hate that. Pretty much ruins the whole trip out. They should choose teams who are relatively close to each other for the Saturday early kick off and Monday late kick off. But I really don't think they care for that. 

what is going to be on skysports 5 anyway.are'nt they losing champions lge footie.

yeah but i think they've got all of the european international qualifiers, not sure how they'll do it but i think if they went with a CL night style red button option of watching holland / germany / italys game rather than only the home nations that could be good

What do you think BT will do next season r.e pricing?

I can't see them suddenly going from free sports to £20 a month because of the CL. It must be a tough decision they are going to make!

Will Sky finally offer their channels in HD to other networks when people inevitably flock to BT next year? Or will they stay tough to try and keep as many people as they can?

Sky sports is going up again next month....

EDIT: Yeah it's £2.50

Yeah that's correct... so... that free new channel, its free yeah?

Come the end of this coming season I think they are going to lose a lot of customers.

Why do you have to activate it?

Why can't they just add it?

Because you have to agree to a new 2 year deal on broadband.

What if you don't have Sky broadband?

Why do you have to activate it?

Why can't they just add it?

Because you have to agree to a new 2 year deal on broadband.

What if you don't have Sky broadband?

you don't need to agree to a new 2 year deal on broadband. You could just add the channel anyway.

Â