Wasted Opportunity

JohnCresswell

Do people really, really believe that a board containing an exec who is CEO of one of the biggest sports marketing companies out there will throw something together?

This is something i mentioned in the closed thread. There are people on our board who surely know about this kind of stuff and even Randy will know how important logos and marketing a brand is from his NFL experience.

I certainy respect paulos comments after reading about his design background but i still don't believe it could have pleased everyone.

They could have come up with something that impressed fellow designers but then i'm sure there would be sections of normal fans who wouldn't like it.

I don't see how this badge can possibly effect the future of the club, as long as success is acheived on the pitch surely all merchandise and marketing issues will take care of themselves regardless of how the badge looks.

Do people really, really believe that a board containing an exec who is CEO of one of the biggest sports marketing companies out there will throw something together?

This is something i mentioned in the closed thread. There are people on our board who surely know about this kind of stuff and even Randy will know how important logos and marketing a brand is from his NFL experience.

Not to knock Randy, but the Browns logo is about as boring as batsh*t. It's just a brown helmet. It would be like Villa having a plain image of a claret shirt with blue sleeves as it's emblem.

Branding isn't all about the emblem though, far from it.

you have to respect anyone whose worked with Jimmy Saville! Good to see his show back on TV!

Great article! Good to see a pro pointing out that it is indeed poop and its not just me missing something! haha!

Very good article, I can't disagree with much you have said at all.

The lion element has grown on me, I now like it better than the old lion, it looks classier. But other than that, while I like the elements enough individually, they haven't grown on me as a badge. You are dead right, we didn't completely stuff up, but it could have been much more classy, determined and "Aston Villa". Definitely a wasted opportunity for me.

A great article Paul, I'll even let you off the constant use of 'there' instead of 'their'! (I'll put it down to the Guardian influence rubbing off on you!)

It is quite noticeable that nearly all of the designers on here have pulled it to bits. I'd be interested in your view on the new Spurs badge which I think is excellent, and is everything our isn't, ie it combines the traditional aspects of the badge in a modern design, and just looks really well put together.

Yes, an excellent article indeed.

But (excuse me) - does it matter?

I believe a good majority are reasonably happy with the design, and if not, they seem to accept what's put before them. I think that when it's seen on the shirts (from a spectator's distance, in particular) it will be outstanding.

An expert in a subject will - understandably - always have a view on the matter, but I don't believe that any design is perfect.

A great article Paul, I'll even let you off the constant use of 'there' instead of 'their'! (I'll put it down to the Guardian influence rubbing off on you!)

It is quite noticeable that nearly all of the designers on here have pulled it to bits. I'd be interested in your view on the new Spurs badge which I think is excellent, and is everything our isn't, ie it combines the traditional aspects of the badge in a modern design, and just looks really well put together.

Its funny our badge was designed I believe by the same people.

I was really starting to come around to it, but then I read this article. I still think it looks pretty decent from a distance, but up close I can't really look at it for very long. It's not all it could be, but I can accept it. So it goes.

I believe a good majority are reasonably happy with the design, and if not, they seem to accept what's put before them. I think that when it's seen on the shirts (from a spectator's distance, in particular) it will be outstanding.

An expert in a subject will - understandably - always have a view on the matter, but I don't believe that any design is perfect.

Yes it does matter. Its not as good as it could be; its not a matter of taste, but of actual craft and that I find so strange that the club couldn’t come up with something better.

I ve said that the idea of committe led design rarely leads to success, and if even a good majority seem to be reasonably happy, I still believe we could have done much better. I am sure they would have been happier that was better done.

I strongly agree with everything about this statement. The new crest is a farce on par with the Ted Bates statue in Southampton. It just falls too far short of expectation and the club deserves much better. There are many people on here who will say "Just forget about it, move on, it's not important.", but they are wrong, it is MASSIVELY important to get this right as the club expands it's brand on an international scale. Pressure must be put on management immediately to get this thing done right, because as it is now, it is a total embarrassment.

Yes it does matter. Its not as good as it could be; its not a matter of taste, but of actual craft and that I find so strange that the club couldn’t come up with something better.

I ve said that the idea of committe led design rarely leads to success, and if even a good majority seem to be reasonably happy, I still believe we could have done much better. I am sure they would have been happier that was better done.

Paul - I'd already said that was a very good article. Therefore, your points were noted and you have my empathy. :)

But I ask, again... Does it really matter? ... Given that probably most are happy with it.

I am not a graphic designer but I have designed a number of other things and know full well that at the proverbial e.o.d. what you've designed - even though it might fulfil all the criteria and aesthetics going - ain't any good unless it's been accepted by most of the important 'users'.

I'd say that what's been designed has largely been accepted.

But I ask, again... Does it really matter? ... Given that probably most are happy with it.

Agree 100%

The club should be commended for the way in which the process was conducted from start to finish.

I object to these 'professionals' giving it the big I am telling us it's rubbish, we'll make up our own minds thank you!

The badge is also not as important as people are making it out to be, neither is the kit design. They are side issues, the important thing is the team on the pitch.

Well, I'd have thought by the amount of responses and general level of feeling on the subject that it was pretty obvious it does matter, a great deal, to a lot of people.

Well, I'd have thought by the amount of responses and general level of feeling on the subject that it was pretty obvious it does matter, a great deal, to a lot of people.

Sir - in the grand scheme of things this has to rate as utter minutia...

Yikes - I regard the last years of Doug Ellis of being an important issue, but I think a badge is attracting more attention than that did!!!! :shock:

Look, it so happens that I am not over the moon about the design, but it does have certain good qualities i.m.o., and therefore I'm happy to go with it...

Us pontificating about fonts and other trivia is not going to change a thing - the club and what the managment's direction is are the two important things, and so far I have no complaints on that much bigger issue. I think they know where they're going, and I believe the direction issue will be solved on the pitch.

Let's get a life and move forward. :arrow:

Next topic?

Sir - in the grand scheme of things this has to rate as utter minutia...

Yikes - I regard the last years of Doug Ellis of being an important issue, but I think a badge is attracting more attention than that did!!!! :shock:

Look, it so happens that I am not over the moon about the design, but it does have certain good qualities i.m.o., and therefore I'm happy to go with it...

Us pontificating about fonts and other trivia is not going to change a thing - the club and what the managment's direction is are the two important things, and so far I have no complaints on that much bigger issue. I think they know where they're going, and I believe the direction issue will be solved on the pitch.

Let's get a life and move forward. :arrow:

Next topic?

You know what, you're right...I'm sorry. I promise tomorrow I'll try and 'get a life' as you so politely mention.

This thread is talking about an article regarding the new badge, if you want to talk about the team, the manager or Doug Flamin' Ellis then start a thread and go talk about it there!

I'm off to get a life!

You know what, you're right...I'm sorry. I promise tomorrow I'll try and 'get a life' as you so politely mention.

This thread is talking about an article regarding the new badge, if you want to talk about the team, the manager or Doug Flamin' Ellis then start a thread and go talk about it there!

I'm off to get a life!

What do you propose, a re-design? A re-design that perhaps another group of people wont like eh? Then what? Another re-design? This is the one which was created, based remember, on what the fans asked for. It seems most are happy with it, so where is the problem?

Like John said, accept it and move on. It's only a bloody badge!

No...just a redesign that looks professional and is not crap....one which even if it is not everyones choice..they will be proud to where..and at least confident it is a symbol of excellence....

Â