The Wage Bill

CVByrne

from what ive read all over the tinterweb, it doesnt look like the club will actually shave anymore off the wage bill

the squad itself is already to bare bones, with only a couple of players on wages they dont deserve, so even if we shipped them out and bought in more players to build a proper size first team squad on adequate wages, youre still looking at a similar size wage bill

the only way to do this is increase revenue, tickets merch and sponssorship, we all know footballers earn too much but theres nothing that we can do about it whilst the agents, the cancer of football, are still around

There are some heroic assumptions being made here about our financial position and our ability to pay higher wages.

Or direct quotes from Chief Exec and quotes from semi official club mouthpiece the Birmingham mail.

So not in the slightest bit are they "heroic assumptions". I'd call them very valid assumptions re: wages.

You haven't actually given us any of these direct quotes.

From 28th of Feb this year.

Robin Russell, Chief Financial Officer, said: "The 2012-13 accounts effectively close a chapter on a period of heavy losses. As we near the end of the 2013-14 season, the Club is financially self-sufficient, compliant with both UEFA's and the Premier League's Financial Fair Play requirements and we look forward to a period of continued growth and progress on and off the pitch." 

If it isn't sustainable now then we really are in the shit.

Although I suppose Bent, Given, Nzogbia and Hutton are still eating away at the coffers, so I'd doubt there will be much wiggle room in the budget just yet.

Robin Russell, Chief Financial Officer, said: "The 2012-13 accounts effectively close a chapter on a period of heavy losses. As we near the end of the 2013-14 season, the Club is financially self-sufficient, compliant with both UEFA's and the Premier League's Financial Fair Play requirements and we look forward to a period of continued growth and progress on and off the pitch." 

Right...

I find that statement spookily unsimilar to the precis in your OP:

the club wage bill situation has been resolved. We've cut the bill down and combined with increased revenue due to new TV money we're back in the black. 

we can offer competitive Premier League wages to new signings but Lerner won't sanction any transfer fees.

Got a feeling you may be building your castle on sand.

Edited by briny_ear

I'd imagine, if Randy is about to sell the club, he's not too keen to spend money on transfer fees.

There's no point in making a profit though.

If it isn't sustainable now then we really are in the shit.

Although I suppose Bent, Given, Nzogbia and Hutton are still eating away at the coffers, so I'd doubt there will be much wiggle room in the budget just yet.

If those players are on much more than 40k pw - and we consider that unsustainable then we really are in the shit - pretty sure Bent and Given exceed 40k pw - Hutton / Zog probably not  

Right...

I find that statement spookily unsimilar to the precis in your OP:

the club wage bill situation has been resolved. We've cut the bill down and combined with increased revenue due to new TV money we're back in the black. 

we can offer competitive Premier League wages to new signings but Lerner won't sanction any transfer fees.

Got a feeling you may be building your castle on sand.

What on earth are you babbling about? You've just basically confirmed my OP. We're in the black and we can offer competitive wages but no transfer fees. So how are you claiming I'm wrong?  :huh:

Bent - £4m

N'Zogbia - £3m

Hutton - £1.5m

Given - £3.5m 

Thats £12m in wages per year with 4 unused overpaid players.

So if our current wage bill is around £60m, take those 4 out and we are down to £48m.

so enough room to add players without breaking an overall wage limit.

I'd imagine, if Randy is about to sell the club, he's not too keen to spend money on transfer fees.

He doesn't spend the money though. The club does and he funds the club if it needs it by loaning money which he can convert to Equity if he wants to. 

The reason is really down to not wanting to leave Legacy problems for new owners like transfer fee amortisation and longer contracts which come part and parcel with paying for players.

Technically too there is no money there as the club has debts to Lerner. So once wages are paid any excess cash left can go to repaying debt. 

On the other hand, a prospective buyer is going to want to know that the playing part of what they are getting is good enough to at least stay in the Premier League.  If you buy good young players, at least new owners would have a chance of selling them on.  A new buyer will be stuck with the wages of Cole and Senderos whether they're any good or not, with no resale value.  Amortisation is only a problem if the players don't improve and if they leave on a free, as you've then no chance of recouping the outlay.  Somebody like Ashley Young would have cost roughly £2.5m in amortisation, but then we more than made up for this with the profit on disposal when we sold him.

Yes but Senderos and Cole are only on short 2 year contracts and came on free transfers. They have Premier League Experience which is what we want. So by the time new owners are ready to spend it'll be next summer and they'll be in their final year which isn't going to be much of a problem for any future plans I don't think.

• Like 2

We're spending way, way, way too much on wages outside the playing staff - that's our biggest issue in getting the figures down

I agree we have too many full time staff compared to other clubs but they can't constitute millions per year and effect the wage bill that much.

We're spending way, way, way too much on wages outside the playing staff - that's our biggest issue in getting the figures down

I agree we have too many full time staff compared to other clubs but they can't constitute millions per year and effect the wage bill that much.

Does anyone have any examples of this?

First I have heard, wouldn't have happened under Deadly!!!

I guess there will have been signing on fees to factor in for Senderos and Cole in addition to their wages if not use of Randy's jet. 

"How are Hull, Stoke and co managing then?" Possibly by spending money they have not really got or money their owner is prepared to use to speculate to try to accumulate as once was our own mykeyb. They may also think it is worth spending to try to ensure they stay up rather than lose the SKY cash but if our owner is expecting to sell before that might happen what would be in that for him (rather than our football club)? 

some bender on the myoldman website said we are paying Joe Cole 400k a week and everyday use of Randy's jet lmao.

You do realise that was a complete joke article right???

Exactly. There is absolutely no way he would accept less than what we are paying Bent and Hutton.

some bender on the myoldman website said we are paying Joe Cole 400k a week and everyday use of Randy's jet lmao.

You do realise that was a complete joke article right???

I assumed calling the author a "bender" and ending with "lmao" rather did suggest he knew it was joke!  :P

Â