Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I can't help but think the state of the pitch will suit the italians more

We have alot of players who are good with the ball at their feet and are at their best when they are running at players doubt we can do that on that dodgy surface where the italians are slow and methodical will probably be more direct which will be suited to this pitch

All the talk over here is that the bad pitch will suit a physical and direct england (if they're feeling complimentary, basically most insinuate we're a bunch of clodders). Italy are a fundamentally excellent bunch of footballers technically and would go better on a good surface IMO. I think it's bad for our players because the standards of the pitches in the premier league are so high and have been so high for a long time. The younger players who haven't been on loan in the lower leagues might not have seen a bad surface since they were playing down the park.

It's interesting to see someone who thinks we're a good footballing side though, I think we do have some good technical ball players this time round, but I can see us going from back to front quickly and giving the ball away regardless, seems to be a cultural problem for us!

I think the bad pitch favours England as will probably put Pirlo and De Rossi out of controlling the game. Might also mean Hodgson regretting calling up Carroll now for long ball and wouldn't be surprised if Lambert starts in bad conditions

Some talk today that Italy will have to play Chiellini at LB? If that's the case then he isn't the quickest abd i'd like to see us attack him.

Wellbeck may just start as his England record is good but i'd like to see Sterling come on for half an hour and frighten the bejeasus out of them.

Come on England!

I think the same.

I think italy will go out. I think they're overrated and I think we'll pip them.

Obviously could be totally wrong, but that's what I'd put my money on. We'll beat them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Italy are a very decent team guys, they have quality all over the pitch.

The way to beat them is athletism.  If they slow the tempo down, it'll suit them down to the ground, we need to raise the tempo early and put the cat among the pigeons.

England should be looking to beat Uruguay and Italy, definitely the better team on paper. The only world class players in that team are Buffon & Pirlo only world class players on that team and are 36 & 35. Sure they have some good players but the fear England have going into this world cup is palpable. As for Uruguay Lugano is bloody captain a player who couldn't manage to get games for WBA last season and has since been released, sure they have some nice players but as a team, should England fear them. Personally, I think it's great as the hype the press give to England for every major tournament is painful.

The only world class players in that team are Buffon & Pirlo only world class players on that team and are 36 & 35

De Rossi is better than either of them. He's probably the best player of his type in the world but playing for Roma means he gets ignored.

A lot of people are basing their ideas of Italy on a stereotype and a quick glance at the teamsheet. Their midfield is so far ahead of ours, we'll spend 90 minutes hoping for the counter but I'm not sure how effective that will be.

Balotelli is wildly inconsistent so hopefully that works in our favour.

• Like 1

The only world class players in that team are Buffon & Pirlo only world class players on that team and are 36 & 35

De Rossi is better than either of them. He's probably the best player of his type in the world but playing for Roma means he gets ignored.

A lot of people are basing their ideas of Italy on a stereotype and a quick glance at the teamsheet. Their midfield is so far ahead of ours, we'll spend 90 minutes hoping for the counter but I'm not sure how effective that will be.

Ah but I don't think De Rossi was ever world class, he is a very good player but I don't think he broke into that real top top tier. 

Ah but I don't think De Rossi was ever world class, he is a very good player but I don't think he broke into that real top top tier. 

Fair enough, but I think he only gets looked at like that because he's still playing for Roma. None of our midfielders are at his or Marchisio's level.

Gerrard at times, but he's not as reliable as them.

-------------------------------------------

How bad are our midfielders when Jordan Henderson is looking like our best option? Milner should be alongside Gerrard IMO

This.

Team to face the Fascists:

Hart

Johnson Jagielka Cahill Baines

Gerrard Henderson

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Sturridge

I think the same.

I think italy will go out. I think they're overrated and I think we'll pip them.

Obviously could be totally wrong, but that's what I'd put my money on. We'll beat them tomorrow.

I think the opposite, nobody seems to rate them and lot of people have Uruguay going through ahead of them. Uruguay I think are being overrated when they are an old creaking team who peak was 2010-11

• Like 1

I don't think Uruguay are all that either, but they are South American and that is an advantage.

England will struggle most with the conditions, and there isn't really anything they can do about it tbh. If they are to do well, they need to get ahead early and not leave it open going into the final third when they will tire out.

How bad are our midfielders when Jordan Henderson is looking like our best option? Milner should be alongside Gerrard IMO

thats not how football works and has unfortunately been englands problem for as long as i can remember

is henderson a better option than milner? probably not

but is henderson and gerrard a better option than milner and gerrard? based on how well they've paired up for liverpool this season the answer has to be yes

we always look at the individuals, especially in midfield, and shoe horn them in, its amazing how many journos and pundits picking their england team are still wanting to play lampard and gerrard together, this time both in deeper roles, hoddle being one of them

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1