Group C: COL GRE CIV JPN

limpid

Good goal.

Why the **** are bbc calling Ivory Coast by the French name? They are British broadcasters call them by the British name... It's not even hosted in a French speaking nation

I don't know, why do we say "double entendre" instead of "two-meaning word", for instance?

It's English, we English speakers love to borrow from French.

CIV-JPN has been a cracking match so far by the way, very entertaining :) this is shaping up to be some World Cup!

Sorry disagree. Yes for certain words we utilise the French meaning as you rightly pointed out. But for something like Ivory Coast they should say Ivory Coast. They just sound ridiculous saying otherwise

Yes, especially when they don't say 'Nippon' for Japan.

Either use the English name for both or the local name for both.

Good goal.

Why the **** are bbc calling Ivory Coast by the French name? They are British broadcasters call them by the British name... It's not even hosted in a French speaking nation

I don't know, why do we say "double entendre" instead of "two-meaning word", for instance?

It's English, we English speakers love to borrow from French.

CIV-JPN has been a cracking match so far by the way, very entertaining :) this is shaping up to be some World Cup!

Sorry disagree. Yes for certain words we utilise the French meaning as you rightly pointed out. But for something like Ivory Coast they should say Ivory Coast. They just sound ridiculous saying otherwise

Just saying, English isn't very logical (and that's part of why it's cool, but it's also why it's so hard to learn for people who didn't grow up speaking the language)

I posted the reason why it's the French name on the previous page. It's not Nippon in English cos the Japanese don't request the usage of the native name in other languages.

I posted the reason why it's the French name on the previous page. It's not Nippon in English cos the Japanese don't request the usage of the native name in other languages.

What about Côte d'Ivoire?

Their requested name is actually 1000% ELEPHANTS, but due to copyrighting they aren't allowed to use that in FIFA tournaments.