Group C: COL GRE CIV JPN

limpid

Good goal.

Why the **** are bbc calling Ivory Coast by the French name? They are British broadcasters call them by the British name... It's not even hosted in a French speaking nation

I don't know, why do we say "double entendre" instead of "two-meaning word", for instance?

It's English, we English speakers love to borrow from French.

CIV-JPN has been a cracking match so far by the way, very entertaining :) this is shaping up to be some World Cup!

Good goal.

Why the **** are bbc calling Ivory Coast by the French name? They are British broadcasters call them by the British name... It's not even hosted in a French speaking nation

I believe the Ivorian government officially discourages use of the English name, and have done for quite some years, not a recent thing. Edited by hogso

Good goal.

I don't know, why do we say "double entendre" instead of "two-meaning word", for instance?

It's English, we English speakers love to borrow from French.

CIV-JPN has been a cracking match so far by the way, very entertaining :) this is shaping up to be some World Cup!

Sorry disagree. Yes for certain words we utilise the French meaning as you rightly pointed out. But for something like Ivory Coast they should say Ivory Coast. They just sound ridiculous saying otherwise