Honduras v England

andykeenan

Hoddle talking about what should have been done for month in terms of preparation for the WC. To be fair the team in 98 were good and unlucky not to beat Argentina. But I also remember the same team being destroyed by Salas in the last game before the World Cup.

These friendlies are all about dealing with the conditions and getting match practise.

That reminds me of this absolutely exquisite goal

Wilshere was excellent in 10/11 but he's missed huge amount of football since then, so many injuries.

He also loses the ball too often on the edge of opponents box so quite a few attacking moves break down with him.

Wilsheres problem was the press built him up way too high. He is a decent player but far to over rated. For me it's as if he believed his own hype and thought he could win games by his own. He's far too weak to keep running with the ball. If he can go to running the play he might keep us going but at the moment doesn't deserve to be the near the side and on current form not even the squad.

Wilsheres problem was the press built him up way too high. He is a decent player but far to over rated. For me it's as if he believed his own hype and thought he could win games by his own. He's far too weak to keep running with the ball. If he can go to running the play he might keep us going but at the moment doesn't deserve to be the near the side and on current form not even the squad.

I think it was because he burst onto the scene when Barcelona was dominating that they wanted to latch onto the next type of player that was in the Xavi and Iniesta mould in terms of height and similar abilities and then they just ran with it that he was the next star

Again I thought he did OK against Honduras and is getting better as his sharpness and fitness improve.

I'd agree he isnt the great white hope the press made him out to be but thats hardly surprising. Still though he is one of a number of talented young players we have so nothing to sniff at.

Two main areas I struggle with - defensively - clearly weak in this area especially in midfield two which is probably what he would have to play in at WC. This would be a risk for Roy in my eyes and would be a trade off against offering more going forward than Henderson and Lampard.

Other that annoys me is he tends to try and do the most difficult thing most of the time, which is a plus in trying to break down stubborn defences but it does mean we turnover play a lot.

If you compare that to Iniesta who has an incredibly high rate of ball retention. He just knows when a tough pass is on or not, this to a certain extent comes down to technique and execution but also decision making

People saying Wilshere is rubbish, but you don't play nearly 100 games for Arsenal and attract interest from Barcelona if you are crap.

It's called the Senderos rule.

you mean attract interest from barca in the sense that one of our rags linked to barca, only for pep to laugh and say I've got 10 of him in our youth team?

The potential obviously is still there with him. It would be a lot better to let him get fitness back with his squad and prove it there. There's going to be another spot in the team once Gerrard decides enough is enough for England. We will then have to change tactics also.

Â