Faulty devices and your consumer rights

Frobisher

Having problems with my laptop. I switch it on and after about 10 minutes it just completely shuts down. I thought could be battery. So took battery out and charger in and still does same thing.

any ideas? :( Is my laptop finished??

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It might be over heating. Does it feel hot anywhere when it shuts down? How old is it?

PS. Buy a Chromebook.

I havent checked that, I think it was a little hot yesterday. Its a sony vaio about 4 years old. If that is the case is it worth fixing or buying new one? 

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I havent checked that, I think it was a little hot yesterday. Its a sony vaio about 4 years old. If that is the case is it worth fixing or buying new one? 

It's probably just that the fans are clogged. A local PC shop should be able to open it up and clean them for a reasonable price.

PS. This isn't to do with consumer rights....

41 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's probably just that the fans are clogged. A local PC shop should be able to open it up and clean them for a reasonable price.

PS. This isn't to do with consumer rights....

sorry I saw faulty good and thought this went here! But thanks for your advice Limpid!

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Bought Nexus 9 from PC World in November 2014 and developed the crashing issue. I assume I take it back to PC World and ask for it to be repaired as they no longer sell that tablet?

After six months the onus is on you to show it's faulty. If you can show there's a known fault, then yes exactly that. 

4 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Even though it's been 21 months you can still return faulty goods?

The Limitations Act says up to 6 years. Have you read the thread?

• 2 months later...

I finally had the LG G4 bootloop issue a couple of weeks ago. Last Monday I took my phone into O2 and they stated it would need to be sent off for repair. I have been charged £25 for the repair and they said it would take 2-3 days (this was last Thursday). On Monday I received a text message on my temporary phone stating that they are awaiting an order. I was unsure what this was referring to, so I chased it up again with O2 and they stated I would now be receiving a refurbished phone. I am still waiting for this to come and am unsure what my next step should be. I'm expecting the £25 back as I didn't have the phone repaired so I will be chasing that up. Also, is a refurbished phone something I should be accepting? I am on a two year contract and it started in July 2015. Any advice would be great as the whole situation has been a bit of a pain, as I have been using the useless loan phone O2 have given me...

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Another problem I'm having is my mms messages keep failing any ideas what could be?

That's usually a misconfigured APN of some sorts. Try to reset it. If that doesn't work, call your provider and go through it manually to find the fault

12 minutes ago, Tegis said:

That's usually a misconfigured APN of some sorts. Try to reset it. If that doesn't work, call your provider and go through it manually to find the fault

I just checked and apparently giffgaff doesn't cover mms messages you have to buy credit on top of your monthly charge! That's bloody lame. Luckily it's only a one month contract so I am gonna cancel it and go with a network that includes mms messages.

how ridiculous they can lose a lot if customers over this

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just checked and apparently giffgaff doesn't cover mms messages you have to buy credit on top of your monthly charge! That's bloody lame. Luckily it's only a one month contract so I am gonna cancel it and go with a network that includes mms messages.

how ridiculous they can lose a lot if customers over this

I've no idea when I last sent or received an MMS. Pictures go by WhatsApp, Allo or Hangouts as normal data.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

apparently giffgaff doesn't cover mms messages you have to buy credit on top of your monthly charge! That's bloody lame.

That's because they use the O2 network and that's the way O2 does it, too. But like Limpid implies, I thought the days of MMS were long gone

• Like 1

Â