Faulty devices and your consumer rights

Frobisher

18 hours ago, blandy said:

That's because they use the O2 network and that's the way O2 does it, too. But like Limpid implies, I thought the days of MMS were long gone

I would imagine more messages go by pigeon these days, than MMS!

• 1 month later...
On 19/11/2016 at 14:46, blandy said:

That's because they use the O2 network and that's the way O2 does it, too. But like Limpid implies, I thought the days of MMS were long gone

I approve the phone bill at work.  You'd be amazed how many people are still being charged for MMS! 

and yes i agree, i thought it died a death 5-6 years ago until i saw these phone bills. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry if wrong thread.

Bought a laptop from very.co.uk around last May.  I noticed it wasn't charging last night and tried using different plugs to charge and different chargers, it's still not charging, so once it dies it'll be useless to me. Is this considered faulty or will they just basically tell me I've broke it and therefore can't do anything about it?

And if it is considered faulty, what do I do about getting it sorted and then the inevitable ignoring of my e-mails/calls?

If there's a lot of reports of that model's charging port failing, you might get somewhere with it, but after the first 6 months, the onus is on your to prove that it has broken due to a flaw inherent in the product rather than because of the way you've handled it. 

You can start with a polite email (to the retailer) asking what they can do to help you due to it failing so early on. If they're not very forthcoming, the whole song and dance about the sales of goods act, potential credit card chargebacks, and so on all comes in to play.

Tbh, fixing a power port on a laptop is typically a fairly easy job, depending on the laptop model (some are a ballache to open up, but the actual repair takes a few minutes) that any local computer shop would do, so if the first couple of emails doens't work out, I'd be tempted to get a quote for the repair to see if it's worth just paying to save yourself the headache.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Phone Google on Friday as my Nexus 6p regularly dies by about 4.00pm with little use and then just recently had started to shut down when battery was showing anywhere from 20% and up. Bought it from. Play store on day of release, replacement is on the way and will not be charged if I return mine in 14 days.Not bad service really.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2017 at 15:33, mykeyb said:

Phone Google on Friday as my Nexus 6p regularly dies by about 4.00pm with little use and then just recently had started to shut down when battery was showing anywhere from 20% and up. Bought it from. Play store on day of release, replacement is on the way and will not be charged if I return mine in 14 days.Not bad service really.

That is good, I think Amazon have been known to do similar. Send out a replacement immediately and then expect the faulty item within a couple of weeks.

• 4 months later...

What's the usual rules regarding this...

My son spent £10 of his birthday money on a Minions microphone to use with his karaoke machine from Toys r Us. Straight away it wasn't working right, had to wiggle the connector in the socket to get it to work so I said I'd take it back for him and get a refund/replacement. I pulled the jack out today and it's broken with half of it is stuck inside the hole still. He's upset as it seems to have killed one of his favourite toys. Are Toys r Us likely to give a shit and do anything more than a refund on the Mike?

Here's the offending item. The tip of the bigger jack has remained inside the karaoke machine.

IMG_2143.PNG

Edited by Genie

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

What's the usual rules regarding this...

My son spent £10 of his birthday money on a Minions microphone to use with his karaoke machine from Toys r Us. Straight away it wasn't working right, had to wiggle the connector in the socket to get it to work so I said I'd take it back for him and get a refund/replacement. I pulled the jack out today and it's broken with half of it is stuck inside the hole still. He's upset as it seems to have killed one of his favourite toys. Are Toys r Us likely to give a shit and do anything more than a refund on the Mike?

Here's the offending item. The tip of the bigger jack has remained inside the karaoke machine.

What do you think they'd do other than offer a refund or replacement?

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

What do you think they'd do other than offer a refund or replacement?

Not sure that's why I asked :D 

If I turn up with my sons broken karaoke with half the part they sold me wedged in the back are they likely to give me some kind of compensation for that item too? It's effectively scrap now because of the faulty microphone.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Not sure that's why I asked :D 

If I turn up with my sons broken karaoke with half the part they sold me wedged in the back are they likely to give me some kind of compensation for that item too? It's effectively scrap now because of the faulty microphone.

If you're after more than your statutory rights, you might want to contact them via social media and play up to it a bit.

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

If you're after more than your statutory rights, you might want to contact them via social media and play up to it a bit.

Ok, so they have no responsibility legally for items damaged as a result of their own faulty products?

Just now, Genie said:

Ok, so they have no responsibility legally for items damaged as a result of their own faulty products?

Is it actually damaged? It's usually fairly easy to extract bits of jacks.

Also, are you sure it isn't the karaoke machine which is faulty and has broken the microphone? That might be what they say if you push it.

11 minutes ago, limpid said:

Is it actually damaged? It's usually fairly easy to extract bits of jacks.

Also, are you sure it isn't the karaoke machine which is faulty and has broken the microphone? That might be what they say if you push it.

I'm gonna have a proper look tomorrow and see if I can get the bits out. I've never known a jack come apart before.

• 1 year later...

Currys 😠 😡 🤬

Purchased an HP Envy 360  15" from them earlier this month. 

Had been deliberating for a while, and was close to getting a 13" Macbook pro, but was reluctant to downgrade to 128gb or 256gb after getting used to my two year old HP AMD A6 which has 1TB. 

The A6 is basic, but it has run recent versions of InDesign and Photoshop via Creative Cloud easily enough. Recently it's been giving me a bit of gyp (when I have a few tabs including email and Word etc open usually) so decided to upgrade. What swung it for me initially with the 360 was it's a part SSD/part HD with 128 and 1TB respectively. 

Four issues

1: The touchpad on the 360 is junk. Click down the far left and it still tries to action a right click/ right menu  Or if you try to make a selection it doesn't respond unless you touch the screen (which will be a faff if I have to keep on doing that for work). This issue has improved since I updates the drivers, but but it is still inconsistent. Tried it for two days as I put it down to my transition from a click pad and touch pad. It's a bit better, but the touchpad still feels laboured and -at times- unresponsive. This might be OK for occasional internet browsing, but not if you need it for more than that. 

2: The fans fire up on very basic internet pages which aren't running videos etc.  If it is struggling to deal with that, I won't waste my time running InDesign on it. 

3: The finish on it is dire.  From the moment it has come out of the box it has marked up with fingermarks and prints something rotten. This is on the outside and the touchpad.  In contrast, my older laptop still has a similar finish to its first day. If I was hoping to have any resale value on this at all after a few years I'll be struggling.  Not what you'd expect for close to a grand's worth of computer. 

4: The sales rep who sold this pup to me said this machine would be fine to run high end programmes as it's a Ryzen 5 processor -which (in his words) is better than an i5. That clearly doesn't appear to be the case. 

I took this back after two days of use and Currys wanted to see the fault in store, re touchpad.  Of course on this occasion, the issue with the touchpad wasn't manifesting itself (it tends to occur after at least 5-10 minutes use. 

They couldn't hear the fans coming on in store because -surprise- it is actually a busy shop store with music and TV in the background. 

So they wouldn't refund or exchange, but advised me to film the issue with my camera phone if it starts up again. 

Thoughts?  

BTW: I did click on the link on the front page of this thread, but that link appears to be broken. 

10 hours ago, HolteExile said:

Currys 😠 😡 🤬

Purchased an HP Envy 360  15" from them earlier this month. 

Had been deliberating for a while, and was close to getting a 13" Macbook pro, but was reluctant to downgrade to 128gb or 256gb after getting used to my two year old HP AMD A6 which has 1TB. 

The A6 is basic, but it has run recent versions of InDesign and Photoshop via Creative Cloud easily enough. Recently it's been giving me a bit of gyp (when I have a few tabs including email and Word etc open usually) so decided to upgrade. What swung it for me initially with the 360 was it's a part SSD/part HD with 128 and 1TB respectively. 

Four issues

1: The touchpad on the 360 is junk. Click down the far left and it still tries to action a right click/ right menu  Or if you try to make a selection it doesn't respond unless you touch the screen (which will be a faff if I have to keep on doing that for work). This issue has improved since I updates the drivers, but but it is still inconsistent. Tried it for two days as I put it down to my transition from a click pad and touch pad. It's a bit better, but the touchpad still feels laboured and -at times- unresponsive. This might be OK for occasional internet browsing, but not if you need it for more than that. 

2: The fans fire up on very basic internet pages which aren't running videos etc.  If it is struggling to deal with that, I won't waste my time running InDesign on it. 

3: The finish on it is dire.  From the moment it has come out of the box it has marked up with fingermarks and prints something rotten. This is on the outside and the touchpad.  In contrast, my older laptop still has a similar finish to its first day. If I was hoping to have any resale value on this at all after a few years I'll be struggling.  Not what you'd expect for close to a grand's worth of computer. 

4: The sales rep who sold this pup to me said this machine would be fine to run high end programmes as it's a Ryzen 5 processor -which (in his words) is better than an i5. That clearly doesn't appear to be the case. 

I took this back after two days of use and Currys wanted to see the fault in store, re touchpad.  Of course on this occasion, the issue with the touchpad wasn't manifesting itself (it tends to occur after at least 5-10 minutes use. 

They couldn't hear the fans coming on in store because -surprise- it is actually a busy shop store with music and TV in the background. 

So they wouldn't refund or exchange, but advised me to film the issue with my camera phone if it starts up again. 

Thoughts?  

BTW: I did click on the link on the front page of this thread, but that link appears to be broken. 

Sorry no help with this particular one but honestly anyone looking at buying something a laptop/tv etc from a high street store should buy it online. Even if you use click & collect to pick it up from your local store that you would have purchased it from anyway you are still covered by distance selling laws regulations making returns for a refund far, far easier.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any advice taking on Amazon over a faulty iPhone?

Purchased 15 months ago from Amazon renewed. Took it to the Apple store and they say it’s 100% dead. They don’t touch it because of its “renewed” status but have given us a report to say it’s died through no fault of the user (my gf). No sign of water ingress or anything untoward, they say. 

I'm presuming Amazon will stick to the line that their 12 month warranty overrules any other claim. Anything else I can lean on?

• 3 months later...

Huge issues with virgin media at the moment. Internet has been terrible for a couple of weeks. They've acknowledged there is a broadband issue in the area and said it would be fixed today but no good. 

The issue is the connection just completely drops every 5 minutes or so, making it impossible to stream anything or work from home (I'm a teacher and meant to be live teaching on teams)

According to their policy i am not eligible for compensation because they don't class intermittent service as needing any. 

What rights do I have? I think its scandalous that I have to pay full price when they can't give me what I'm paying for. Also feel like this should be grounds to be able to cancel your contract with them with no fees, but I know that will never happen. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/01/2021 at 18:38, DCJonah said:

Huge issues with virgin media at the moment. Internet has been terrible for a couple of weeks. They've acknowledged there is a broadband issue in the area and said it would be fixed today but no good. 

The issue is the connection just completely drops every 5 minutes or so, making it impossible to stream anything or work from home (I'm a teacher and meant to be live teaching on teams)

According to their policy i am not eligible for compensation because they don't class intermittent service as needing any. 

What rights do I have? I think its scandalous that I have to pay full price when they can't give me what I'm paying for. Also feel like this should be grounds to be able to cancel your contract with them with no fees, but I know that will never happen. 

What was the outcome buddy.

Having a similar battle at mothers.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

What was the outcome buddy.

Having a similar battle at mothers.

Cheers.

Just had to suck it up and wait. Really pissed me off. 

It eventually got fixed but they constantly changed the expected date and then there was zero compensation because I never went a whole day without the Internet, even though it wasn't usable. 

• Thanks 1

Â