Faulty devices and your consumer rights

Frobisher

By "leave it alone", what do you mean?...

Sorry, I meant, once (if) you get it working, don't update the iOS and don't update the iTunes version, or if you do, back up ebverything immediately beforehand, so you can revert if needs be.

I found, though, once I got it working again, cleared out whatever had caused it, it was fine.

I think that's really dangerous advice Pete. I'd only recommend that in a virtual machine dedicated to the single piece of software involved and that's a level of stuff beyond most users.

Always keep your OS and software up to date.

For zapping I can't remember if I used appzapper or appdelete - but one of them lets you delete apple apps. You just run it in the trial mode - you don't have to pay for it.

I suspect it's not so much the iTunes app that will be the problem but more likely a preference file somewhere has got corrupted.

in ~/library/Preferences there are loads of preference files called  blahblah.plist.

you could (should) try deleting all the ones for iTunes - com.apple.iTunes.plist is the type of name format they'll have.

to go to the folder they're in, cmg+ shift+g then paste " ~/library/preferences" into the box that appears, or hold down the alt (option) key and click on go - go to folder thingy at the top of the screen from the finder. (I'm not on the mac at the mo, so this is from memory) and your user library should be listed there.

edit - I found this which gives details of how to re-install  and as an aside if you gimme your e mail address I will send you a bunch of scripts which you can drop in the ~/library/iTunes folder and which make iTunes much more useable - allowing bulk actions and useful fettles via keyboard shortcuts.

How to reinstall iTunes for Mac

If you're having trouble transferring audiobooks to your Apple device from your Mac and other troubleshooting steps have failed, you may want to try reinstalling iTunes using the steps below.

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. In the Finder choose Go > Applications.
    • Locate iTunes and then drag it into the trash.
  3. Choose Go > Utilities. If "Utilities" is not available under "Go," then press shift+command+U.
    • Open "Activity Monitor."
    • In the process list, select iTunes Helper. Click Quit Process. When asked if you want to quit the process, click Quit.
    • Quit "Activity Monitor."
  4. Choose Apple > System Preferences.
    • Choose Accounts or Users & Groups and then click Login Items.
    • Select iTunesHelper. Then click the - button to remove it from the list.
    • Quit "System Preferences."
  5. In the "Finder," choose Go > Go to Folder.
    • Enter /System/Library/Extensions and then click Go.
    • Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the trash.
  6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
    • Enter /Library/Receipts/and then click Go.
    • Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the trash.

Note: This file may not be present in Mac OS v10.6 (or newer); skip to the next step if this is the case.

• Remove any other file ending with ".pkg" that has iTunes in the title (such as "iTunesX.pkg").
  7. Restart your Mac.
  8. Empty the trash. This should fully remove iTunes.

Caution: You will permanently lose all of the files in your trash when you empty the trash. Please ensure that you have saved copies of any files you want to keep that may have made their way into your trash.

Removing additional folders

You may need to remove additional files and folders associated with iTunes. Use the following steps to remove these files and folders.

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder and type in /Library/and click Go.
    • Locate the iTunes folder and then drag it to the trash.
  2. Choose Go > Go to Folder and type /Library/Preferences/ and click Go.
    • Locate the preferences files that have names beginning with "com.apple.iTunes" and move them to the trash.
    • Look for and remove these: com.apple.iTunes.eq.plistcom.apple.iTunes.plist, andcom.apple.iTunesHelper.plist.
  3. Choose Go > Go to Folder and type in /Library/Preferences/ByHost/ and click Go.
    • Locate the preference files that have names beginning with "com.apple.iTunes" and move them to the trash.
  4. Empty the trash. This should fully remove the files and folders associated with iTunes.

Caution: You will permanently lose all of the files in your trash when you empty the trash. Please ensure that you have saved copies of any files you want to keep that may have made their way into your trash.

Reinstall iTunes
  1. Download iTunes.
    • After the download is complete, double-click the installation file.
    • Follow the steps to complete the installation.
    • When installation is complete, click Finish.
  2. Launch iTunes to complete the reinstallation process.

Sigh.  Did all this.  Zapped iTunes, reinstalled it, deleted what I could.  Plugged in phone, then when I clicked on "my device" it still seems to think I have lots of songs with the dreaded grey dotted circle on.  That's another hour I've just spent, Android for me I'm afraid.

Yes, sorry Simon, have continued the saga in the Apple thread.  Thanks to Pete for his help to date, and sorry again for taking this so OT.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

This might be a bit vague, as it's not happening to me but to a work colleague, but I thought I'd ask advice in here.

Basically a guy at work (older bloke) bought a TV 6 months ago from Currys.

It's a whopper. I'm not sure of the exact model, but it's a 65 inch curved Samsung ultra HD badboy.

Long story short, he's on his third TV already. Curry's have replace it twice already. First one was damaged I believe and the second one had really bad "white bleed".

So now his third one has the same problem. Really bad white bleed and he says there's a small part of the TV on the left that is effectively dead pixels. Nothing shows up. It's small but it's there and when you pay 4 grand or whatever he paid for a TV he understandably isn't happy.

So he's at the point now where he's been **** around so much he just wants to return it. I've given him the advice in this thread that is always given on here that if the tv is faulty he's within his rights to return it and that his contract is with the retailer and not with Samsung. 
His problem now is that Curry's keep fobbing him off to Samsung to try and get it repaired. 

So his, and my, question is, how does he stop them fobbing him off? i.e. how do you get Curry's to honour the sale of goods act?

I'd guess his final recourse would be to go to court, wouldn't it?

Has he taken his problem/complaint further up the chain than dealing with the local store/low level customer services? If not then I'd suggest that, i.e. requesting details of the customer service manager/director of Currys and contacting him/her directly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'd guess his final recourse would be to go to court, wouldn't it?

Has he taken his problem/complaint further up the chain than dealing with the local store/low level customer services? If not then I'd suggest that, i.e. requesting details of the customer service manager/director of Currys and contacting him/her directly.

He has spoken to some sort of customer service manager, but like I said he keeps getting fobbed off by them and passed onto Samsung.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He has spoken to some sort of customer service manager, but like I said he keeps getting fobbed off by them and passed onto Samsung.

Time to speak to the credit card company too then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ah, the old 'customer service manager' trick - probably the bloke sat at the next desk.

Has he tried their complaints procedure? That's what I would do as soon as they tried to fob me off with the manufacturer. Otherwise, as above, I suppose.

Edit: And what Limpid says. Section 75 of the CCA, is it?

Edited by snowychap

No idea if he used a credit card or not. I'll ask him.

I'll advise him on complaints procedure but I suspect that's an avenue he's already gone down, but maybe not vigorously enough.

Seems like a good bet, if he's attempted to resolve it with the retailer and they're not dealing with it, the credit card company should be on his side.

If he perseveres with trying to deal with Currys, obviously he should just be able to escalate it with their customer service team, but he'll probably have more luck kicking up a fuss on social media. It's pathetic, but that seems to be the best way to get companies to give a shit about your problem these days.

He's hopefully learned the very valuable lesson of not buying anything from Currys, or any other store in the Dixons/Carphone Whorehouse group.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This might be a bit vague, as it's not happening to me but to a work colleague, but I thought I'd ask advice in here.

Basically a guy at work (older bloke) bought a TV 6 months ago from Currys.

It's a whopper. I'm not sure of the exact model, but it's a 65 inch curved Samsung ultra HD badboy.

Long story short, he's on his third TV already. Curry's have replace it twice already. First one was damaged I believe and the second one had really bad "white bleed".

So now his third one has the same problem. Really bad white bleed and he says there's a small part of the TV on the left that is effectively dead pixels. Nothing shows up. It's small but it's there and when you pay 4 grand or whatever he paid for a TV he understandably isn't happy.

So he's at the point now where he's been **** around so much he just wants to return it. I've given him the advice in this thread that is always given on here that if the tv is faulty he's within his rights to return it and that his contract is with the retailer and not with Samsung. 
His problem now is that Curry's keep fobbing him off to Samsung to try and get it repaired. 

So his, and my, question is, how does he stop them fobbing him off? i.e. how do you get Curry's to honour the sale of goods act?

Hi Steve,

Im assuming your pal is referring to "light bleed" Known in the industry as Light pooling or 'mura' This is caused by physical or thermal stress.

So if its a recurrence I wondered whether its due to the surroundings, Ie wall mounted above a fire or near a radiator? Light bleed can also be a result from how its taken out the box and handled to its resting place, For most folk its a natural instinct to grab a corner of the TV each and raise it up to the bracket or stand but this is the worst thing you can do. 

You will be pleased know light bleed or dead pixels cannot be repaired so it will be a case of renewal anyway, I would imagine Samsung will do a straight swap rather than going backwards to go forwards of changing the panel. 

PS, In the meantime whilst its being looked into tell him to lower the back light if its effecting his viewing experience.

Yep it's light bleed.

He had the TV delivered and put into place by Curry's. He deliberately didn't touch this one and got them to do everything so that he couldn't be accused of causing the damage himself. They've already tried to palm it off on him causing the damage in this way but they have a record of their engineers being the ones who mounted the TV.

To be fair, he's said it's not really effecting his viewing experience. He still loves the TV. It's more the principle. When you spend that much on a TV you don't expect it to have stuff like that wrong with it.

Hi all,

A question for a work colleague. She had an iPhone 6 plus.  She’s had it for 13 months, purchased on contract from o2 using a debit card.  A fault developed with the phone where it wouldn’t charge.  No physical damage at all to the phone.  She went to o2 who said they could send it off and quote her for the cost of the repair but wouldn’t provide a temporary phone as a replacement. Alternatively she could upgrade early for £300.  She went instead to the apple store who made her pay £300 for a new iPhone 6 plus but took her phone in exchange. This seems crazy to me given it was in almost perfect condition and she only had it for 13 months. Surely she has a right to a repair for free given how long she has had the phone?

7 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Hi all,

A question for a work colleague. She had an iPhone 6 plus.  She’s had it for 13 months, purchased on contract from o2 using a debit card.  A fault developed with the phone where it wouldn’t charge.  No physical damage at all to the phone.  She went to o2 who said they could send it off and quote her for the cost of the repair but wouldn’t provide a temporary phone as a replacement. Alternatively she could upgrade early for £300.  She went instead to the apple store who made her pay £300 for a new iPhone 6 plus but took her phone in exchange. This seems crazy to me given it was in almost perfect condition and she only had it for 13 months. Surely she has a right to a repair for free given how long she has had the phone?

Your friend didn't take the best course of action, unfortunately.

Firstly, as you say the resolution of the problem, or the onus for it, lay with O2 - they supplied the phone. That it developed a fault slightly after the 12 month warranty is kind of irrelevant. The phone, from what you say would not appear to have been "fit for purpose" - you'd expect a high end mobile phone to be good for more than 13 months use. As such O2 have a liability to replace/repair the item. In the event it was a battery fault it's maybe a little more complicated, but I'd have been arguing with them that it is their liability under the sale of goods act. I'd have also been mentioning cancelling any further payments and talking to their head office etc. if they got awkward.

Going to the apple shop was a mistake - it's nothing to do with the apple store. Not really a smart move, truth be told.

What's done is done, now. But I'd be leaving O2 immediately, after talking with their customer complaints, insisting that they've cost her 300 quid by not adhering to the law on faulty goods. Expression of extreme disappointment and so on.

I guess one lesson is find out what your rights are before you make your complaint, then when they tell you rubbish you can call them on it from a position of knowledge.

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Your friend didn't take the best course of action, unfortunately.

Firstly, as you say the resolution of the problem, or the onus for it, lay with O2 - they supplied the phone. That it developed a fault slightly after the 12 month warranty is kind of irrelevant. The phone, from what you say would not appear to have been "fit for purpose" - you'd expect a high end mobile phone to be good for more than 13 months use. As such O2 have a liability to replace/repair the item. In the event it was a battery fault it's maybe a little more complicated, but I'd have been arguing with them that it is their liability under the sale of goods act. I'd have also been mentioning cancelling any further payments and talking to their head office etc. if they got awkward.

Going to the apple shop was a mistake - it's nothing to do with the apple store. Not really a smart move, truth be told.

What's done is done, now. But I'd be leaving O2 immediately, after talking with their customer complaints, insisting that they've cost her 300 quid by not adhering to the law on faulty goods. Expression of extreme disappointment and so on.

I guess one lesson is find out what your rights are before you make your complaint, then when they tell you rubbish you can call them on it from a position of knowledge.

Thanks Blandy. I pretty much thought the same when she told me she had paid £300 and given her phone back. As you say, what's done is done.

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep it's light bleed.

He had the TV delivered and put into place by Curry's. He deliberately didn't touch this one and got them to do everything so that he couldn't be accused of causing the damage himself. They've already tried to palm it off on him causing the damage in this way but they have a record of their engineers being the ones who mounted the TV.

To be fair, he's said it's not really effecting his viewing experience. He still loves the TV. It's more the principle. When you spend that much on a TV you don't expect it to have stuff like that wrong with it.

I forgot to mention,

he even got a 5 year warranty thrown in with the third TV! But they're still fobbing him off to Samsung and he's getting nowhere.

49 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm pretty sure manufacturers are obliged to provide a two year warranty across the EU.

I agree that she should have dealt with the retailer. But the Apple store ripped her off as they should have dealt with this as a warranty repair / replacement. Managing customer experience is something Apple are usually good at; it's part of how they justify the crazy mark up on their products.

Being a battery fault (if it is - it's probably that the charge connector has come away from the motherboard after being dropped while charging) isn't relevant. The battery is not user replaceable and is a fundamental part of the device and therefore covered by the same warranty as the whole device. Apple (and others) can say it isn't, but that's why manufacturers warranties "don't affect your statutory rights". It's not a consumable part if you can't replace it yourself without voiding the warranty.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

I'm pretty sure manufacturers are obliged to provide a two year warranty across the EU.

I agree that she should have dealt with the retailer. But the Apple store ripped her off as they should have dealt with this as a warranty repair / replacement. Managing customer experience is something Apple are usually good at; it's part of how they justify the crazy mark up on their products.

Being a battery fault (if it is - it's probably that the charge connector has come away from the motherboard after being dropped while charging) isn't relevant. The battery is not user replaceable and is a fundamental part of the device and therefore covered by the same warranty as the whole device. Apple (and others) can say it isn't, but that's why manufacturers warranties "don't affect your statutory rights". It's not a consumable part if you can't replace it yourself without voiding the warranty.

On their website they state if you buy your apple phone from someone else then it is a 12 month warranty. From them direct it is 24 months.

6 minutes ago, omariqy said:

On their website they state if you buy your apple phone from someone else then it is a 12 month warranty. From them direct it is 24 months.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees/index_en.htm

Whether you bought the goods in a shop or online, under EU rules you always have the right to a minimum two-year guarantee period at no cost.

This 2-year guarantee is only your minimum right and national rules in your country may give you extra protection. Remember that any deviation from EU rules must always be to the consumer's benefit.

It doesn't matter what they say. They can't override your statutory rights. They are trying to con people and hope that people will just give them more money.

• Like 1

Â