Bloodborne

Ginko

That was one criticism lots of fans had about Dark Souls 2 compared to Dark Souls. The way the world was designed in Dark Souls felts very connected and well thought out. The level design and overall world layout of DS2 wasn't as impressive and felt a bit stitched together at the last minute.

No surprise really as Hidetaka Miyazaki was the lead on Bloodborne and Dark Souls but not DS2.

Dark souls 2 lacked a lot of the things that made dark souls great. It is possible to travel anywhere in dark souls from majula, but it is different somehow. I also didn't like how dark souls 2 did not have a designated pvp like dark souls did. The story also was not strong and the npcs really were lacking. With all that being sad though, dark souls 2 is still a solid 8.5-9/10 game for me. It was fun to play through and I still play it. The DLCs were great in my opinion and the new combat systems were nice. 

Oh I absolutely love DS2, don't get me wrong, it just was missing those little bits of polish that the original had that made it the stand out game of the series.

Cleric Beast down ;)

Died twice trying to find his stagger points. I managed to get him once... I couldn't get the timing down at all. After that I just went for his legs and figured out you could hurt his limbs. Was a close one though as I ran out of Blood Vials. It really was on the wire as we both had one hit left. He lunged for me and was going to get me but for the Molotov Cocktail I hurled at his face. Heart-pounding stuff. Love it.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Ha, yeah I've spoiled Father Gascoigne for myself a little. Everyone says he's really tough.

Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun! I'm sure I'll change my tune after my fifth time of fighting him.

I do know about the music box, however

;)

Edited by Ginko

Purchased it today, really is very hard. However I know when I die it is my own fault. I just went down to get the hunter armor polished off three hunch backs, then got to the rats and went gung ho and got mullered by the rats and hunch back remaining! Idiot I thought! So I switched off and will crack on tomorrow more cautiously.

I had a similar experience earlier. I'd gotten through to the Cleric Beast without too much hassle, fought him and died, then ran through the little section again where you go in the house and up the stairs -- fortunately I'd unlocked the shortcut -- got through it with a little more hassle but not too bad, fought and died at the hands of the Cleric Beast again. Then on the third time I went far too gung-ho through the short section to him and got killed by a standard enemy because I was in a rush. It puts this game into perspective really.

Tip: If you're struggling on a boss, try to think of an alternative method to killing it. There is always some clever strategy to kill a boss. 

Here is an example for the cleric beast since I assume everyone here as fought him.

Charge up your R2 attacks and hit his legs/arms. A few charged attacks to each limb will make them useless. 

Sometimes a certain item you can buy, find, or get from an npc will help you

Ha, yeah I've spoiled Father Gascoigne for myself a little. Everyone says he's really tough.

Ah well, if it was easy it wouldn't be anywhere near as fun! I'm sure I'll change my tune after my fifth time of fighting him.

I do know about the music box, however

;)

Biggest tip I can offer is to practice parrying on the humanoid enemies.  Most attacks are quite easy to telegraph, so a quick gun to the face and a visceral attack wrecks most enemies in the game..

This is especially true of Gasgoine.  Also, he becomes weak to fire once he transforms so save your Molotovs for the end of the fight..

Dark souls 2 lacked a lot of the things that made dark souls great. It is possible to travel anywhere in dark souls from majula, but it is different somehow. I also didn't like how dark souls 2 did not have a designated pvp like dark souls did. The story also was not strong and the npcs really were lacking. With all that being sad though, dark souls 2 is still a solid 8.5-9/10 game for me. It was fun to play through and I still play it. The DLCs were great in my opinion and the new combat systems were nice. 

The thing that annoyed me most in Dark Souls 2 was the environment. In Dark Souls the entire world linked together, it was extraordinary when you first found those shortcuts and realised that areas were linked together. Remember that time you made it through the dark to light a bonfire in the tomb of the giants to overlook the cliff to see the Demon Ruins? It really brought home the journey that you had made. Dark Souls 2 seemed a bit 'people loved dark souls, let's make loads more of it and just bundle random areas and bosses together'. You'd climb an area with a windmill, beat a boss, get in a lift then you'd be at a random castle with lava lakes and stuff in the sky, it didn't really make sense. There were too many bosses in DkS2 too that felt nothingy and not as iconic.

That said, it didn't take away the gameplay mechanics which were still absolutely fantastic and is still a perfectly great game in its own right, just not an all time classic like Dark Souls 1. 

Played some today, went all the way through the sewers and collected most things -- I think -- get to the bridge where they roll the flaming boulder at you -- which I later learned is right near the Father Gascoigne boss fight -- and my internet cut out, returning me to the title screen.

FUUUUUU.jpg

I wondered if you'd make a joke about my treehouse internet, but then I thought you wouldn't come into this thread as you don't have the game.

I guess your spidey sense started tingling and you just had to investigate, didn't you? Unfortunately for you, there are no cars in Bloodborne, so you can't run me over. Not the game for you ;)

I wondered if you'd make a joke about my treehouse internet, but then I thought you wouldn't come into this thread as you don't have the game.

I guess your spidey sense started tingling and you just had to investigate, didn't you? Unfortunately for you, there are no cars in Bloodborne, so you can't run me over. Not the game for you ;)

Horses maybe? [emoji4]

Ha, I'm afraid not. You'd have a great time invading other people's games and ruining their day though. I actually think you'd really get a kick out of the PvP.

• Like 1

This is the first game I played from From. And it was so very frustrating in the beginning. I kept dying over and over, never really got past the two wolves at the bridge.

After clearing through the same route so many times, I was about to give up on the game for good. Done and dusted. It was extremely frustrating not to progress further into the game. Even though my combat skills improved for each run, meeting those wolves on the bridge was like running into a brick wall. Luckily I stumbled upon a video on youtube just going through some of the basic mechanics of the games such as special attacks, how to level up, uppgrade weapons etc.

And all of the sudden, boom, wolves dead, boom boss dead, boom sewers cleared. Shortcuts everywhere! Hidden passages! Treassures!

I'm not really into single player games, but this must be one of the more enjoayable videogames experiences I've had in a long time. It's so damned exciting to run around and explore things! Reminds me of the felling I had playing resident evil on PS for the very first time as kid. Having only played supermario on NES perviously.

Currently trying to get the best of Father Gascoignes.

Oh, and I found this hidden passage that leads to a female hunter. It's not a boss, but she kills me faster then one, and I'm not even remotely close to dealing any dmg to her. Any idea who she is? Some sort of sidequest?

This chick?

img_59422_eileen-the-crow-hunter-s-quest

That's Eileen the Crow, a fellow hunter and one of the only non-hostile characters in the early game you're likely to come across. You can learn gestures from her and will run into her at various points in the story. As with all previous Souls games -- despite this not really counting as one as it doesn't have Souls in the title -- you can kill her if you like and gain items or keep her alive and meet her at various points to continue her questline. I'm not sure what her questline entails necessarily.

Be wary of NPCs in this game, though. If it's anything like the Souls games, some of them will not be all that they appear and will kill other NPCs and go for you too if you're not careful. Not preventing NPCs getting killed can really balls things up for your game.

Edited by Ginko

Nope that's not her. The one I'm talking about is very hostile, attacks you as soon as you enter the room. I tried to run away, she followed me, killed me, and then jumped down into the sewers.  Like a badass.
She isn't wearing a mask like that, but a bandana and a typical "witch hunter" hat.

I'll go back once I've gained a few lvl's and obtained better gear. See what happens if i manage to kill her. Theres a online note before you enter the room which says something like "no mercy for women" with 30 or more thumbs up.

Thanks though :)

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

Â