Bloodborne

Ginko

I hope there is some pvp areas though or I could see this game die out when dark souls 2 comes out for next gen. Story is great and fun, but pvp has always been a big part of souls games,  

We have very different perceptions of what's important in a souls game.

Personally, I do like the invader mechanic the souls games have but to me, its an occasional event and a distraction that I don't pursue. I've most certainly never felt the need to deliberately invade other players or spec my character for that role. If there was zero PvP in a souls game, it wouldn't bother me because I don't find that particularly appealing reason to play the game. Souls to me is an explorative PvE experience with a unique co-op slant. Horses for courses and all that.

I think my digital copy unlocks at 12.00am tonight. Gonna squeeze in an hour or two before bed beckons (work tomorrow - boo!)

• Like 2

I agree Sie, when I play action rpgs the exploration element is where the game really shines, particularly as Miyazaki has created an absolutely intriguing way to portray his story. However, a slightly evil(?) if that's the right word, side in me really enjoys that feeling of fear when exploring in human form (in souls games) and always having to be on your toes in case of invasion. It's a feeling of being hunted which makers the palms sweaty and ups the heart rate which is quite a special thing for a game to be able to create and definitely adds to appeal of the game; but as you say, horses for courses.

Is pvp in this game similar to Souls pvp? 

Edited by nobler

I watched GiantBombs QL of it and, as usual with these games, I sat there thinking 'I really, really want to be able to like this series, I like so much about it... But that would annoy me. And that. And that. And I'd never get on with that...'.

Really Marmite series.

Pvp is very fast due to side stepping. If you have a quick swinging weapon, you can stun lock an opponent to death. The instantaneous healing is really frustrating. You cannot let you opponent get away from you, or they will heal. 

I like pvp because it gives me something to do after I complete the game. I do very little pvp during my first play through and then in ng+, I pvp a bit because that is where you find the most users. After I finish ng+, I focus solely on pvp for a while. It basically just adds more game play for myself. Although I like the new additions to bloodborne with the constantly changing dungeons. At least now there will always be some new area every time I pick up the controller. 

I used to absolutely HATE the invasion mechanic when I first started playing Demon's Souls. That game had me on edge not just because of how creepy it was, but how I was convinced I was going to work my ass off carefully making my way through the level an get to the boss only for some asshole to come find me and butcher me. I was so tightly wound because I was afraid of dying that I'd play offline on purpose.

Then I realised how much of the experience I was missing and I felt so dumb. It took me a few deaths to relax a little and I enjoy these games so much more because of it. I played far too conservatively for my own good. Now the little sadist in me gets a bit of a thrill when it tells me I'm invaded. Dispatching an invader is so much fun. I don't invade other people's games though, I much prefer helping others.

Edited by Ginko

My copy should arrive tomorrow morning.   The way things are looking I might get 15 minutes to play it in about three weeks. 

Just played for about an hour and honestly, I think I might need to give you a primer over PSN. This is a Souls-ass game to the bone and I'd hate for you to get off on the wrong foot.

I've never played any DS game previously and I'm picking this up after work today.  I know it looks brutally hard and the long loading screen may be a pain in the ass till its patched.  Read through a few tips for beginners, but those of you who have actually played it - any tips for a noob?

Only played about half an hour last night due to a migraine, but from what I saw it looks very much a 'Souls' game which as far as i'm concerned is bloody great news.

I've never played any DS game previously and I'm picking this up after work today.  I know it looks brutally hard and the long loading screen may be a pain in the ass till its patched.  Read through a few tips for beginners, but those of you who have actually played it - any tips for a noob?

In exactly the same boat as you although I did give demon souls a go back in the day and it kicked me in the balls at every turn.

Played another couple of hours and it's got its grips into me. Once you get back into the rhythm of the combat and the risk/reward dynamic it becomes a thing of beauty.

The emphasis on a more offensive approach is interesting too. No more shields for you my lad :mrgreen:

As someone who has finished both Dark Souls games, this is looking like another classic from Miyazaki.

Edited by Designer1

any tips for a noob?

The best tip is simply take your time. You will die a lot, that's just part of the learning process, but if you rush around and don't take notice of attack patterns, environment etc you will die even more. Take notice of how much stamina you use on certain attacks and keep it in mind when you go into battle.

There is literally zero hand-holding. Most of the routes through the game you will have to work out for yourself, and if Bloodborne is anything like DS 1 and 2, there will be multiple routes to take as it's pretty non-linear in it's approach to exploration. 

Just take your time going through every thing. Try to bait enemies out one by one. Don't get greedy especially on boss fights. Look for short cuts. Explore the whole area because it will give you items that will help you with the boss or other enemies. It might takes you 3 hours to clear one area or 3 days. It doesn't matter and it's not a competition. Just enjoy the frustration. 

Biggest tip for boss fights is to take it slow. Sometimes it's better to take 20 minutes to kill the boss once than die 40 times in 4 hours because you try to do it in 5. 

• Like 1

Just getting into it. Loving it and frustrating at the same time. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. There's the co-op bits where I'd like some help but ive no idea how to get it. Oh and save points, how????

The sense of achievement in these games really is off the scale isn't it?

Spent a couple of hours exploring last night and the thrill I got when I realised I'd found the first major shortcut was up there with completing some games in the past.

Â