Bloodborne

Ginko

Is it a music box? Or are you referring to the oil?

Guess I was just a bit p'd cuz I lost my stash of viles cuz of this boss so having to go through killing lots of normal npc to build up a stock again.

Play the music box right when he transforms to the beast. He will get dazed and confused. When he is like that, go behind him and hit him in the back with a held R2 attack. Then follow it up with a back stab. That will get him down to practically no health. If you are too scared to fight him for that last bit of health, just throw Molotovs at him for the last chunk of health. 

Well, I finally got round to playing this again and got the rest of the stuff right before old Gazza -- including the Hunter set which looks awesome, and is just better armour from the looks.

Anyways, I decided to have a pop at Father Gascoigne but noticed I didn't have any Molotovs with me. I decided to proceed without them to save myself from going back to The Hunter's Dream, stocking up, and then having to fight through a couple of mobs just to get back to him.

Well, turns out I could have used them. I actually did pretty well for my first time. I didn't find the first two stages all that tough, he hit me with his gun more than anything. I got some viscerals in and didn't use the music box until he got into his final stage, but I kept mistiming them and it only works three times before it stops having an effect I believe. I played it twice while he was in an animation of some sort and it just didn't work, and then the one time it did in my sheer excitement and with victory looming, I mistimed it and just got a normal hit off on him. In the end he managed to get me caught in that lengthy combo and destroyed me before I could finish him off :(

I'm confident I can beat him though, even without molotovs, though I have stocked up as a last resort. dubbs, if you're really having problems with him, I suggest rolling around... a lot. Obviously manage your stamina and don't go crazy, but I'd strongly suggest side rolling most of his attacks, or failing that, roll towards him so he goes past you. Get a hit off and then roll sideways immediately because 9 times out of 10 he seems to fire his gun at you which not only causes damage but can stun you a little. I'd practice parrying him with your own gun too. He seems to be pretty easy to stun in human form. I only managed to stun him once with my gun in his Beast mode.

Nearly had him! I can definitely take him though. Pussy.

**** Gascoigne! I had to turn it off as I was getting to inpatient and when that happens you've got no chance. As it stands I can't see how I'm going to beat him but tomorrow is a new day. **** you Gazza!

Edited by Wainy316

Yeah I took him down today on the second time. He's not too hard to parry, and when he got down to his beast form I messed up the visceral strike... AGAIN. I kept thinking I just needed to go up to him and press R1 but it didn't work, I think you need to go behind him and do a charged attack and THAT stuns him readying him for a visceral strike, right?

Anywho, it didn't matter. I got a few hits off on him, healed up with a tree in the way and then just lobbed a couple of molotovs in his face and that was it for old Bamber. I was going to share my video here but I didn't press the Share button to nab the recording. For some reason I had it in my head that it automatically recorded you, but I guess not. Ah well.

Edited by Ginko

I just kept hacking Gazza from behind the grave stones at first then when he extends his weapon I have to get up in his grill with quick attacks and rolling out the way.

As for beast form I gave him a few hacks then Molotoved the **** out of him.

I must be in the minority then. I had more trouble against Cleric Beast. I found the camera angles difficult, even though I didn't target him, and found his moveset more unpredictable. He was more difficult to parry for me, so I just tried to keep up close to him with his back to me and just charge strike him over and over before a couple of Molotovs to the face finished him off.

got in å visceral, A few moltovs and The cleric beast was done for. part 3 was the most simple imo. Altough he nearly got me with the air attack! Just kept backpeddeling while pumping out them moltovs. Found part two the most challenging. I kind of cheesed it by using the gravestone for cover and attacked him from afar with The L2 version og The cane.

I must be in the minority then. I had more trouble against Cleric Beast. I found the camera angles difficult, even though I didn't target him, and found his moveset more unpredictable. He was more difficult to parry for me, so I just tried to keep up close to him with his back to me and just charge strike him over and over before a couple of Molotovs to the face finished him off.

Me too at first, then I found out when you 'lock on' to him and dodge his attacks you end up behind him and can just hack away a bit. When I finally figured that out I had him down to half health without a hit.

As for Mr Gascoigne, I thought he was much easier, maybe because I recognised his animations quicker, but a couple of parry viscerals, then a music box when he first went beast followed by spamming molotovs and it was over pretty quickly.

Use circle to dodge and use it frequently. Your character is definitely quick when dodging.

Don't get discouraged, it takes a bit of time to get into these games and the early game is always a bit of a slog. When you level up a bit and have got your style nailed down, it's still tough but you'll be a lot more confident in your ability.

If you have any questions just ask, or you could Google starter tips, there's plenty online. Enjoy!

Started playing this finally! Bloody difficult and my character seems incredibly slow

Hold circle to also sprint. It took me a little while to figure that out. Mess around with the buttons to learn everything. 

Yeah, there's a few messages dotted around Iosefka's Clinic and Hunter's Dream that tell you some controls, but for the most part they let you figure it out for yourself.

As Czechlad said, hold circle to sprint, tap it to backstep and tap it while holding in a direction to dodge. All of this expends stamina, so watch your stamina bar. Also, while you're sprinting, double tap circle and you'll do a jump which can be helpful reaching certain areas.

tbf I did try and start it whilst half cut last night....

I don't know what it is about it, the "cool" way it tells you **** all and has very little narrative at the start means I'm not interested enough to not be overly frustrated by all the dying and then I don't like the gameplay, said in here I'd rather it went closer to DMC and it hasn't, to me it's still clunky

Eh, each to their own. I guess these games just aren't for you.

I had a crack at Old Yharnam last night. What's with that crazy old fool with the bloody gatling gun on top of the church or whatever it is?! I think I might need to level a little as I struggled at the bit where you fight the other Hunter who uses hit-and-run tactics like a little asshole and I take it you can't really fight him on the big open area he's patrolling otherwise the Gatling bastard will tear you a new one. 

I'm liking my Threaded Cane less and less. I think I should have gone with the axe. I can buy it now, but I'm not sure I want to spend valuable blood echoes and rare material increasing its effectiveness.

Â