Philippe Senderos

samjp26

I put forward Ridgewell on a free in another thread only to be told he is an awful player and wouldn't be a decent signing in the circumstances yet in the same circumstances we should give Senderos a chance to prove that he is better than his previous record in the Premiership would suggest.

Right.

Grant Holt number two coming up.

Edited by shaggy

I put forward Ridgewell on a free in another thread only to be told he is an awful player and wouldn't be a decent signing in the circumstances yet in the same circumstances we should give Senderos a chance to prove that he is better than his previous record in the Premiership would suggest.

Right.

Both utterly horrible players.

Would rather chuck in an U-14 player that sign these clowns.

I'll give him a chance. An experienced international player who is not going to look like a rabbit in the headlights will be a refreshing change. OK he's not Tiago Motta but he's a (possible) short term improvement on what we have. If he joins give him a chance!

Okore is untested at this level and particularly over a long hard 38+ game season. Arsenal obviously saw something in Sendeross (AC Milan, reported interest from Lazio before joining Valencia) and i guess that if that is still there then he'll do OK for us (let's face it it those clubs are generally playing at a completely different levels to us. I suspect he left Fulham becuase he was coming to the end of his contract and the new gaffer didn't want him if he was no commmitted. Valencia - who knows - maybe it just wasn't the right move for him and his family.

I am neither over the moon nor disappointed (somewhere in between) but as a free agent I see it as a positive move to stengthen our poor defense. Let's face it both Clark and Baker need some respite in order to be able to develop without constant pressure on them. Over 50 international caps for his country.

Fulham's defence was beyond hopeless last season and Senderos was a regular in that given Hangeland missed a chunk of the season injured, that's why people don't want him.

I think Clark is better than him and I'm not a huge fan of Clark, Baker after his woeful end of season form should hopefully get little playing time next season.

I think the worst case scenario here is there must be doubts over Vlaar's future now given he has just 1 year left so this is a cheap replacement insurance policy.

And for all those giving Vlaar stick in his thread....you'll miss him if Senderos is his replacement.

To me if we're looking for cheapo squad replacements from relegated teams the likes of Bassong, Hangeland etc would be better options.

• Like 1

Senderos biggest fault is that he quite often has lapses of concentration where he loses focus and loses his player forcing him to make rash challenges resulting in yellow cards or goals for the opponents.

He's also been plagued by injuries during his career.

I don't rate him but getting rid of Baker and or Clark, replacing them with Senderos and Donacien would probably be an ok change

It seems you can't use years of watching him to judge this player but we've judged okore brilliant based on YouTube and a couple of appearances.

If you'd judged this signing as good no one would have an issue. Its the same people moaning because you've formed a negative opinion.

It is no different to if we had signed somebody like Yaya Toure and I started going around blasting those hailing it as a great signing on the basis that he might suddenly flop and not be good enough.

That is the sort of rationale at play here.

Just because he isn't an unknown quantity doesn't mean we shouldn't give him a chance.

Depends what you mean by giving him a chance. If you mean hoping that he somehow miraculously proves me wrong, then it goes without saying. If you mean ignoring his entire career to date that conclusively proves that he isn't good enough at this level, then no.

By giving a chance I mean not writing him off, which is what many seem to be doing.

As we all know by now a lot of signings just don't work out for whatever reason, some cheap, some ridiculously expensive. Sometimes you have a bad feeling on a signing right from a start. I actually was quite happy when we signed Ireland but I remember quite a few had doubts, same with CNZ.

Me, I thought Holt was a ridiculous signing and he was a waste of time in his minutes apart from his goal v Fulham.

Baker and Clark are not better than him. If we sold them they would be championship players at best. There's a reason senderos has been at so many top league teams and played the the best competitions for club and country.

Senderos biggest fault is that he quite often has lapses of concentration where he loses focus and loses his player forcing him to make rash challenges resulting in yellow cards or goals for the opponents.

That could easily pass as a description of Ciaran Clark and to a lesser extent, Nathan Baker.

• Like 1

That could easily pass as a description of Ciaran Clark and to a lesser extent, Nathan Baker.

very much agree with that, was about to add that to the previous post actually

• Like 1

Totally agree that Bassong or Hangeland on the face of it would be better options but a fee would probably be involved for both as well as more wages and that looks like a big no, no under the present circumstances.

Well Senderos has played in the premeir league for a number of years now and is on a free so he's hardly coming in on a fiver a week.

As an aside, I must be the only one seemingly here who thought Clark wasn't a car crash in most of the games he played, 12/13 yes, not last season when I genuinely thought he showed improvement.

What were the poor games he had everyone seems to be seeing? Man. United fair enough but on a good day they can make a lot of defenders look like mugs. West Ham was another one that sticks in my mind but I can't think of too many others. He hardly played in the last 10 or so gameso f the season when our defence totally collapsed.

I would have no issue with him and Okore being rotated next season. Baker has no business being anywhere near the pitch.

Only way to look at this is as a massive vote of confidence in Okore.

Lescott would have improved the squad and given real competition for places but may have pushed Okore out the team and Lescott was obviously too expensive anyway.

Senderos presumably is being seen as an upgrade to Baker/Clark. Its difficult to imagine him being worse but also cant say I'm feeling he's going to be that much better either.

Clark was much improved at start of the season and don't understand why Lambert had Baker ahead of him at the end of it. Baker did nothing really to show he was the better choice

Clark was much improved at start of the season and don't understand why Lambert had Baker ahead of him at the end of it. Baker did nothing really to show he was the better choice

When Clark was next to Vlaar, he was okay, however when him and Baker line up alongside each other its an absolute nightmare.

I think Clark was good for most of the season when playing with Vlaar. I'm agreed that he was woeful when played alongside Baker.

Trouble is when Lambert dropped Baker for Utd away game, Clark came in and had a shocker. He does struggle with his marking at times and Lambert bought Baker straight back in for the next game.

Both are liabilities and have had a number of seasons to cut these errors out of their game. I've still a vague feeling one of them may turn out to be decent but I dont know which one and we cant keep having these seasons while we wait to find out.

As I said surely Senderos is better but to be honest I haven't watched him closely enough of him to make a confident judgement on that.

It seems you can't use years of watching him to judge this player but we've judged okore brilliant based on YouTube and a couple of appearances.

If you'd judged this signing as good no one would have an issue. Its the same people moaning because you've formed a negative opinion.

It is no different to if we had signed somebody like Yaya Toure and I started going around blasting those hailing it as a great signing on the basis that he might suddenly flop and not be good enough.

That is the sort of rationale at play here.

It's not, though, as Yaya Toure (as per your example) would still be given a chance despite those thinking he might suddenly flop.  What's happening here is the complete write off of a player before he's done anything for the club.

I'm not saying he's a good signing, by the way.  In fact, I don't even see the point in getting him given that Baker/Clark have had quite a bit of first team exposure now.

Â