Philippe Senderos

samjp26

As per usual, the only thing to do is give him a chance if we sign him. The usual slagging off before a ball is kicked is such a counter-productive broken record.

This is Villa Talk so what do you expect. The reaction would probably be the same if we were getting Messi on a free.

• Like 1

Just because he isn't an unknown quantity doesn't mean we shouldn't give him a chance.

Depends what you mean by giving him a chance. If you mean hoping that he somehow miraculously proves me wrong, then it goes without saying. If you mean ignoring his entire career to date that conclusively proves that he isn't good enough at this level, then no.

You're right, my mistake. 7 starts 1 sub appearance. Practically ever present that

I remember watching the Sociedad-Valencia game and he was utterly woeful. Amateurish position which is his hallmark and Baker-esque rashness in which he was lucky not to be sent off. I don't know how he did in his other appearences but I'd guess not very well or Valencia would've made it permanent.

Oh right, would you care to point out other examples of players who suddenly take a huge leap in quality at the age of 29 then?

As I said, I feel sorry for you.

That'll be a no then.

Edited by Isa

Just because he isn't an unknown quantity doesn't mean we shouldn't give him a chance.

Depends what you mean by giving him a chance. If you mean hoping that he somehow miraculously proves me wrong, then it goes without saying. If you mean ignoring his entire career to date that conclusively proves that he isn't good enough at this level, then no.

By giving a chance I mean not writing him off, which is what many seem to be doing.

• Like 1

Doesn't constitute most games though does it. He played as much as Holt did in the league

He's played more than twice the minutes Holt played. What's your point anyway?

Werent you the one who raised the point that he started most games for Valencia? When he actually didn't?

If we sign him he's not going to be a 4th/5th choice after being quite OK in a strong Valencia team last season. Not a bad signing for a bottom dwelling team, tbh. Perhaps Lerner has finally found a way to get players to pay him for signing instead of getting wages?

Okore is still a huge unknown. He'll probably start on the bench just like last season. He only played his 3 games because Clark and Baker got injured. Okore comes from the same league that Helenius and Cornelius played in. No idea why people would expect him to be a difference making premier league defender straight away. 

Exactly. Seemingly he has become a legend on VT based on three games for us. Yes he has massive potential but is basically totally unproven in the PL. I just hope for his sake he hits the ground running or the knives will be out for him. I'm not saying Senderos is the solution but I can see the logic of getting a player like him on board for at least the short term.

Doesn't constitute most games though does it. He played as much as Holt did in the league

Werent you the one who raised the point that he started most games for Valencia? When he actually didn't?

No I didn't say that, it's not a long thread you can check.

I said he's been quite OK for them. He's played in 12 or so games in 3 and a half months and played over 800 minutes. Make of it what you will. 

By giving a chance I mean not writing him off, which is what many seem to be doing.

Sigh! I can't be bothered to repeat myself so I'll say it one last time. Forming a judgement of a player's ability based on nine-seasons at this level isn't "writing him off". He has never ever looked capable at this level, fact. Therefore the logical conclusion is that he isn't a good signing.

• Like 1

No I didn't say that, it's not a long thread you can check.

I said he's been quite OK for them. He's played in 12 or so games in 3 and a half months and played over 800 minutes. Make of it what you will. 

Also important to bear in mind he missed a fair few games with a hamstring injury or I suspect he would have featured more for Valencia.

That would be my main worry, whether we're buying damaged goods and will be high in the injury league table again next season.

On whether Senderos is any good, as people have said, he has his limitations but he's probably better than Clark and Baker and he has a lot of experience..

Sigh! I can't be bothered to repeat myself so I'll say it one last time. Forming a judgement of a player's ability based on nine-seasons at this level isn't "writing him off". He has never ever looked capable at this level, fact. Therefore the logical conclusion is that he isn't a good signing.

It seems you can't use years of watching him to judge this player but we've judged okore brilliant based on YouTube and a couple of appearances.

If you'd judged this signing as good no one would have an issue. Its the same people moaning because you've formed a negative opinion.

• Like 1

Some people are doing more than that though.

Who do people expect we are going to get? We are on the market and will most likely have a new manager once sold. No experienced player worth their salt will come to Villa if a new manager could come in and potentially want his own players.

Only players we will get are ones who are desperate for one last chance to prove their worth at the top level and no other teams are interested in them. Ala Sendros.

Its a sad state of affairs but thats were we are at.

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 1

Hmm, I'll speak to a few Arsenal and Fulham fans today given that I live and work amongst loads of them. I wonder whether the opinion of those that actually watched him regularly will differ to those who saw him once or twice and/or mainly on MOTD.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

One of the worst centre backs I have ever seen.

The fact he may be slightly better than Baker is a moot point.

Why is it a moot point?

Surely in our current predicament any improvement in the squad should not be dismissed?

• Like 1

As per usual, the only thing to do is give him a chance if we sign him. The usual slagging off before a ball is kicked is such a counter-productive broken record.

This is Villa Talk so what do you expect. The reaction would probably be the same if we were getting Messi on a free.

No, it wouldn't.

If Okore realises hi s potential, then a Vlaar Okore partnership is good enough for us at CB.

Senderos is better than Clark and Baker.

Therefore this actually is an improvement to the squad, despite being pretty underwhelming. But it's cheap.

Cheap squad improvements are about as good as we can hope for right now. What are people expecting?

Â