England v Peru

andykeenan

Think some are being a bit harsh on Rooney. He gets into the side because he's absolutely brilliant for United, not because his name is Rooney.

Its been a while since he was 'absolutely brilliant for united' to be fair.

Thing with Rooney is that it's the type of performance we've seen from him several times before which is why everyone jumps all over him.

In my eyes he is a player who needs to be 100% fit and match sharp to have a big impact.

At his best he is still one of our best players so we need to invest the match time in him during these games to get him to that point.

Thing with Rooney is that it's the type of performance we've seen from him several times before which is why everyone jumps all over him.

In my eyes he is a player who needs to be 100% fit and match sharp to have a big impact.

At his best he is still one of our best players so we need to invest the match time in him during these games to get him to that point.

On top of that I don't believe in the 'Rooney in the hole' myth. He's a striker, simple.

Play him up top or not at all, Sterling made a huge impact playing off Sturridge when he came on, way more than Rooney did.

• Like 1

Think some are being a bit harsh on Rooney. He gets into the side because he's absolutely brilliant for United, not because his name is Rooney.

that shouldn't happen though.

Or rather, i suppose it should happen. But our managers should have the balls to not use him if he doesn't perform when given the chance.

Rooney always seems out of condition in the close season nowadays...to me it wasn't a good sign when he got injured v Bayern. We had this in 2010 and 2012 when he picked up injuries/suspensions before the major tournament and looked rusty in the warm up games...it's o.k he'll turn it on when it matters, didn't happen.

Lallana played on right for a lot of the season.

I don't think he has the pace to play on the right.

I'd play him on the left or centrally.

I just spotted this post. I chortled heartily :D

• Like 1

Rooney always seems out of condition in the close season nowadays...to me it wasn't a good sign when he got injured v Bayern. We had this in 2010 and 2012 when he picked up injuries/suspensions before the major tournament and looked rusty in the warm up games...it's o.k he'll turn it on when it matters, didn't happen.

Yes a big possibility

Put Sterling in the team instead of Rooney and move Lallana centre and I think England have a pretty good team. I definitely agree with those who think Rooney is living off past form. He's been horribly inconsistent recently and England would benefit by having more Liverpool and Soton players in the team as they are already used to a similar style.

• Like 1

Sturridge should be the focus of the team. Rooney is holding England back and I bet he will be equally pedestrian in the next friendly. I can't remember the last good Rooney performance in an England shirt.

• Like 2

Italy will obviously be preparing to 'deal with' Rooney. We should just leave him out for that game at least, the reason why England never get anywhere is because of the constant need to use players who are either out of form or aren't at full fitness, simply because of who they are.

Finally we stopped playing Gerrard and Lampard together at least, but we genuinely have a very talented bunch of young attacking players. Focus on them completely IMO, we may not win the World Cup but we aren't expected to anyway, if we really need to play Rooney then play him up front with Sturridge out wide, or play two up top. 

If Rooney HAS to play, then we should drop Welbeck, surely? Sterling has to start, Sturridge has to start, Lallana has to start and IMO even Barkley should be starting.

P.S. Glen Johnson is awful.

the Man Utd players were ineffective. Rooney was all over the place, no first touch. hasn't played for a month due to injury but still. last night Sturridge showed he can do something out of nothing so if we need a something out of nothing forward we can play him over Rooney. Sterling when he came on looked great down the left hand side I was closest too. I'm not sure I'd play Rooney over Sterling, or even Barkley. Welbeck typical performance. not at the level he even wants to be yet at so shouldn't be in the starting XI. 

Against better strikers our defence would have conceded one or two last night. Cahill looks commanding and great on the ball but Peru picked us open down the middle a couple of times. Defence difficult to judge though because it wasn't really tested. Peru were a young, inexperienced team playing like Villa would if we weren't allowed to use the long ball.

In midfield, I thought Henderson looked confident and strong next to Gerrard. Two powerful holding players. I can imagine them starting vs Brazil in front of that back four. Tried some thrusting attacking passes that didn't come off. Lallana had some memorable touches and we only need a couple of better forwards, or more on form ones than Rooney and Welbeck, to be able to construct those lovely tippy-tappy passing moves through the defence.

I'd try Lambert with Sturridge and Lallana, or maybe even play Sturridge with Barkley. 

Sturridge should be the focus of the team. Rooney is holding England back and I bet he will be equally pedestrian in the next friendly. I can't remember the last good Rooney performance in an England shirt.

I can. It was vs Croatia during Euro 2004. 

Aye, he fits the Spanish system though. As AC Jimbo said on a recent episode of Football Weekly, Spain like to play with a false #9 and Torres is about as false a #9 as you can get! 

Â