Paradox Interactive Games

kingysilvers

I've never really ventured into this games forum but I thought I'd see if any other Villains are into the weird world of Paradox Interactive games. For those wondering what the hell I'm talking about, they mainly produce grand strategy games that make Civilization look like something you'd pick up from the Early Learning Centre. You normally start at some fixed date in history where the world was at some interesting turning point (1066, 1444 etc.), you can normally jump into any state/nation/dynasty that was in existence at the time and begin your attempt at world conquest on a very nicely designed world map.

I've mainly been playing Europa Universalis 4 as it seems to be the easiest to get into, you play as a nation and though a combination of war and diplomacy (okay, mostly war) takeover as much of the world as you can. I've also tried Crusader Kings 2 which is very highly rated, not being totally up to speed with the finer details of the feudal system means it has been a bit more of a struggle though.

So yeah, anybody else out there been suckered into these epic time sponges?

The Europa Universalis series is great. Spent alot of time on 3 as England. Haven't had much play time on 4 yet. It's a very frustrating yet addictive and enjoyable experience.

The AI isn't just there to make up the numbers. They can be very very sneaky and underhanded. Got dragged into a Holy War in North Africa allied with Spain once, and just as I was about to take the last territory, claim the win and take Africa for myself, Spain negotiated a truce, where I got nothing except a winners medal. Before I could bring my troops home, Spain attacked France, which had been under English rule for 150 years and kicked me off mainland Europe.

I hate the Spanish.

EU IV is the only one I've played... Absolutely love it. I watched probably around 40 hours of 'Let's play...' series before I was confident enough to try it myself. And then I failed miserably again and again, until I finally started getting it right! :D

I used to be into CIV, but after many many hours in Paradox' world, CIV seems like a silly little game now when I try to go back.

I was getting a bit board with it lately though, so I tried out the Veritas et Fortitudo mod. It makes the game much more fun and challenging, and quite a few of the nations has a lot of flavor added. Currently playing Venice and attempting to claim the we are the true Roman Empire, which will make everyone in the HRE and a massive Byzantium seriously upset with me, but the road to claiming it very hard, as I will have to hold Palermo, Capua, Firenze, Lombardia, Pisa, Napoli and have the Papel State as a vassal, which means basically to get there I will have the whole of Europe in a coalition against me :)

Due to the Wealth of Nation expansion coming out (in a week?) I'm guessing we'll see the EU IV price drop a lot and a few good deals come.

Edited by tarjei

Aha, it's nice to know I'm not the only one investing a silly number of hours in these games!

hoaxn, it's always the Russians for me, they blob up so big, so quickly, and are so hard to attack that they always become a powerhouse. Very good point on the AI, too. In Civ it always feels like the AI has to use cheap tactics to get ahead (which is basically how the harder difficulties work), whereas in EU4 it feels like the AI is just better at playing the game in a lot of cases.

tarjei, I'm guessing it's Shenryyr's videos you've been watching as he's been doing a lot of VeF games lately? That guy is stupidly good at all things Paradox related.

Yes, I started of watching Arumba. I think that was helpful as he really tries to understand the underlying math behind the mechanics, whether it's the battles, the economy or the diplomacy. But now Shen's content is more interesting, mostly for the rage, foul language and his playstyle. But yeah, he's the one that's got me interested in the mod.

I've tried watching some Vichy and Crusader videos, but they haven't tickled my fancy as much. Perhaps if I get utterly bored with VeF, I'll get more interested.

As for how to deal with the Russian's in early to mid game, I think the best thing is to declare war on them wildly and often and then wait for them to come to you and fight them on your land. As soon as you go in to their lands attrition becomes too hard to deal with. So, only siege them when their army is wiped out and use mercs and siege land close to your borders while keeping you main army close for backup if they manage to put an army together. At some point they get such a big army with endless manpower, so it's wise to halt their progress often before it's too late.

zv4xkyC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zv4xkyC.jpg

After tonight's session things are looking up. Managed to grab lots of land, annex some vassals and fight off a coalition war.

Papal State is my vassal, and I'm allied to France, Bulgaria and Switzerland. It's only 1377 but I'm making tons of trade already so I'm able to go well over the army forcelimit. The coalition is getting big though... As long as France have my back I'm golden, but I'm quickly getting towards the point where they are gonna consider me a rival.

http://i.imgur.com/zv4xkyC.jpg

After tonight's session things are looking up. Managed to grab lots of land, annex some vassals and fight off a coalition war.

Papal State is my vassal, and I'm allied to France, Bulgaria and Switzerland. It's only 1377 but I'm making tons of trade already so I'm able to go well over the army forcelimit. The coalition is getting big though... As long as France have my back I'm golden, but I'm quickly getting towards the point where they are gonna consider me a rival.

Wow, that's a really interesting map, I really need to give VeF a go. Also well done on gaining so much and not running your manpower into the ground, something I do all too frequently.

I'm a big fan of Paradox games. I prefer CK2 over EU4 (i've put around 200hrs into it CK2) just because i enjoy the overall story as you build your house from a nobody to the most powerful family in europe

The viking expansion is probably my favourite of the DLCs

Wow, that's a really interesting map, I really need to give VeF a go. Also well done on gaining so much and not running your manpower into the ground, something I do all too frequently.

It get's better as you zoom in too as there are a lot more provinces (with tax bases slightly lowered, though growing over time), making it more challenging in terms of aggressive expansion.

As for the manpower situation, the version I'm using adds a lot of manpower when you build a manufactory in a province. They cost a lot but being Venice I can afford it. I usually go lowish in big wars, but it recovers quickly. And also... Mercs!

Later on it get's a bit silly. On my previous game, trying to form Hindustan I had 200k manpower in the early 1400s. I got the impression they tweaked it though, there was a new version released today. If you want to try it out sooner rather than later, be aware that the upcoming patch and expansion to EUIV will make VeF unplayable for some time if the game updates, but there are ways around it listed in the forum. I think copying the game folder will make it possible to have it both ways.

• 2 weeks later...

NWSFqgY.jpg

Scary France! Forcelimit more than double what nr 2 on the list has. Oh, and he decided to ally Poland just after Poland broke our alliance and proclaimed me a rival. Good times ahead!

How are you getting on tomsky?

Novgorod, bold choice. France does seem to be very strong since the 1.6 patch, also the new rival system is interesting. I decided to pick the rather easier Russian nation for my first game since the update:

H6Ik2VW.jpg

Novgorod, bold choice. France does seem to be very strong since the 1.6 patch, also the new rival system is interesting. I decided to pick the rather easier Russian nation for my first game since the update:

H6Ik2VW.jpg

Nice! And... dat manpower! The game is very interesting playing in Russia. I was threading a thin line for the first 100 years or so... Most wars was basically a waiting game of attrition. I'm a little further ahead in time now.. 1670 irc. Haven't gotten as far down south as you, but I've colonized all the way to Japan. I've got 3 massive vassals in fully fed Sweden, Ukraine and Golden Horde :) Pretty much untouchable, except for France who have gotten even bigger. I'll take a screenie next time I play..

Austria looks massive there.. In all my latest games they have eventually been chewed up, after France starts beating on them.

I tend to lose interest when I get to around 1700s. Usually at that time the challenge is gone.

wTDoczr.jpg

Look at that France... even took over Scotland and a province in England, and currently has Austria under siege.

0YmaI0A.jpg

I could form Russia, but I kinda like painting the map with the odd countries colors. I've got Sweden, Golden Horde and Ukriane as vassals. They are very useful and have around 20-25k soldiers each, so I doubt I will annex them anytime soon. Sweden has been a vassal since the first decade. Denmark inherited all of Scandinavia, then declared war on me. It was the longest war ever. I just waited them out, and eventually siege a single province that I released as Sweden. Got their cores back later on.

I too prefer Crusader Kings II to EU for some reason. Although I have played EU, HoI and CK at various points, and I do think they are all good in various aspects. 

I could form Russia, but I kinda like painting the map with the odd countries colors. I've got Sweden, Golden Horde and Ukriane as vassals. They are very useful and have around 20-25k soldiers each, so I doubt I will annex them anytime soon. Sweden has been a vassal since the first decade. Denmark inherited all of Scandinavia, then declared war on me. It was the longest war ever. I just waited them out, and eventually siege a single province that I released as Sweden. Got their cores back later on.

Dare I ask, how big is the French military in that game? I imagine the Timurids are also going to be a pain given how much they've blobbed up, the AI seems to be a lot better at holding together huge nations since the patch. 

I've been playing more CK2 than EU4 for the past couple of weeks. I know a lot of people criticise EU for the whole "map painting" thing but at least it gives you constant targets to go for, I've found with CK that I tend to set a goal (e.g. "become the king of England") and it's good fun getting there, but once that is done I don't really have anything pushing me to play any more. Any tips from the CK players to keep things interesting?

I think at that time they had around 220k forcelimit but around 120k troops.

I had one war with the Tim-Tims and they were much too easy to deal with, due to tech and ideas. I always go for offensive, and it's just too good. Having great generals make such a big difference. The game's pretty easy at this point. Except for France there is really no proper threat. I've decided to put it on hold for now.. I need to set more difficult, long term, goals I think. Otherwise the later game get's boring. My goal was basically too survive against Muscovy, block them from colonizing and then take Siberia. So at this point I've got litte reason to continue.

In my following game I tried Switzerland. I managed to grab much of Austria (Tirol provinces), a few coastal provinces in Italy and some land in the Frankfurt node. Next thing I know I had all of Europe in a coalition and ended up fighting 5 coalition wars in a row. The first 3 were won easily with the help of France, but when the last two hit things started to go very wrong due to manpower. Very interesting game that was, but I wrecked it with greed :)

Â