Shenmue

hogso

Sega have confirmed HD remasters of Shenmue I & II. They're having issues getting the things to work on current systems, though. Plus there's some licensing issues due to the real world products used originally in the shops and stuff. In short, it's a long way off.

I can imagine it now - kids getting their hands on this mythical thing that they were never able to play, what they've heard often lauded as the best thing EVER. And then being suprised to discover how shit it actually is. "Uh, you can buy capsule toys with your pocket money...and people thought this was cool?" :crylaugh:

I think the capsule toys might be the last thing Shenmue needs to worry about...

'Hey you guys know where I can find any sailors round here?!'

And the hilariously racist elements of it as well.

Shenmue was a product of its era and I will always adore it because of that. Yes this game won't be liked by many that didn't play it in its glory days, but you have to remember that this was "open-world sandbox" when many games couldn't even do 3D properly as Dreamcast was the ass-end of PS1. So being able to befriend a cat and then every morning bring it milk or food, or to to buy capsule toys or to win a video game through buying a special can of pop that you could then play on the in-game Sega Saturn in Ryu's house. Yes it's all primitive now when we're looking at games like GTA V and Mafia 3 with worlds so huge and so interactive they make Shenmue look like it was never a technological feat, but I am glad that when it does get released as a re-master I'll be enjoying it like I was a teenager again.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

And the hilariously racist elements of it as well.

I like after this bit, if you go back to Tom, the conversation goes thus;

"Hayyyyyy......Ryuuuuuuuu...................monnnnnnn"

"hi tom."

"Hayyyyyy"

"bye tom."

:crylaugh:

Goddamn it @Ginko, if you deride QTE's one more time, I swear... :bang:

https://youtu.be/iLVBak-npLE

Edited by hogso

But they suck! I don't know how anyone can like them. They're boring and take you out of the game because they constantly remind you you're in a game. It's the only thing I hate about Naughty Dog games. I wish they'd fire QTEs into the sun, awful gameplay mechanic.

Rant over.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am so glad I played both back in the day so that I firstly know what to expect and will have the nostalgia tinted glasses on.

Anyone that hasn't played them before might think Shenmue 1 and 2 are pretty shit compared to say the Yakuza games which took the Shenmue do anything template and ran with it. 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Deep Silver have said that 3 definitely isn't coing out this year now as it isn't up to standard yet and requires further polishing

Likely for the best. Even if the game was super polished already I do think that 2018 is too stacked now. There is a big game or two in every month in the run up to December assuming no additional 2018 release dates are announced in the coming month.

I know that Shenmue fans really want Shenmue 3 as they've been waiting 17 years to get the final chapter to the trilogy, but I'm also sure they don't want it do get crushed by Spider-Man, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Red Dead 2 or anything else out in the next few months. 

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

It's not the final chapter though. There's supposed to be another one to finish the story :D

Even more reason to release this game as far away from any other game as possible. If Shenmue 3 sells like shit then it won't get a Shenmue 4 or a Shenmue 3: Part 2 :P

It will not sell very well regardless & i'm not sure the upcoming remaster will do anything other than put people off buying 3. Today 1&2 are very niche games with vastly outdated controls & gameplay mechanics and this is coming from someone with save files from the dreamcast version with every single toy collected.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 3 doesn't even make it out next year unfortunately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if 3 doesn't even make it out next year unfortunately.

It likely won't, I mean I am a huge Shenmue fan and I don't know how they are developing this.

They generated $6 million to make Shenmue 3, but Shenmue 1 back in 1999 cost $70 million and just as a reminder games in 1999 were $10-$20 million productions maximum. 

I know that tech has gotten better and you can do more with less now, but not much more which is why Shadow of the Tomb Raider costs $100 million to develop.

I would love to see Shenmue 3 launch in 2019, but I don't even know how they are developing it with a budget that low so who knows. 

• 3 months later...

Reportedly sold out in a lot of places.

I'm guessing that's more 'we produced a handful of physical copies' rather than everyone suddenly decided they needed to play a weird 20 year old game that has aged terribly. 

Â