He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea,
A young man who has yet to know his potential,
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will,
His courage shall determine his fate,
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity, I await whilst praying,
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus the saga...begins...

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but....Sega have re-trademarked the Shenmue name. Now of course this could just be a formality. It probably is, actually. However, it could also mean that a potential HD remake, or better yet, the announcement of Shenmue III, could be imminent.

In this thread let's talk about why Shenmue is not merely the best video game of all time, but humanity's greatest work.

With that in mind, I will utter those immortal words - "Who the hell do you think you're talking to? You fu'in' with me? Kiss off, twit!"

Always wanted to play this.  Never had a Dreampants.  How can I play this?  Help me play this.

xbox, they did a shenmue 1&2 boxset

and you should have had a dreamcast, shame it failed because it had some excellent games and was very good

Ah Shenmue... probably one of the only games that people absolutely adore but I just never got why.

A few years ago when I was working at Rare one of the devs was getting married and his wife-to-be was making him get rid of his insanely vast gaming library. I picked up his rarely played Dreamcast about six games for about £40. Shenmue is one of them but I just did not fall in love with it. I found it kind of boring.

Never heard of it, must be shit ;)

That said, Dreamcast was the balls brah.  My brother bought one when they'd died a death, and we had a blast.

Rocket Rocket, although mental and brain meltingly hard past a point, was great fun with 2+ players. 

Honourable mention to Crazy Taxi also.

Love it. It's almost as if the voices were computer generated they're so robotic. I couldn't possibly speak with such lack of emotion. Must've taken real talent to achieve.

Poor voice acting (at least on the English version, I'm sure the original Japanese dub is much better), long, drawn out, boring tasks (who wants to get a job in a game?), and my personal pet peeve... Quick Time Events. Not my sort of game at all. I hate QTEs with a passion that cannot be matched.

(who wants to get a job in a game?)

Aye, that was well bollocks.

Dreamcast was cool though. 'Unreal Tournament' (great weapons, still my fave rocket launcher in a game), 'Soul Caliber', 'Crazy Taxi' and 'Record Of Lodos War' were excellent.

Poor voice acting (at least on the English version, I'm sure the original Japanese dub is much better), long, drawn out, boring tasks (who wants to get a job in a game?), and my personal pet peeve... Quick Time Events. Not my sort of game at all. I hate QTEs with a passion that cannot be matched.

Surely not worse than originally Resi acting?

Poor voice acting (at least on the English version, I'm sure the original Japanese dub is much better), long, drawn out, boring tasks (who wants to get a job in a game?), and my personal pet peeve... Quick Time Events

You've just listed most of the best things, not the worst! :D

Edited by hogso

I can understand achieving cult classic status through being so bad that it's good, but QTEs will never ever be good. Ever. I can't stand them. It's a pathetic 'gameplay device' that is just a pathetic cop out used by no-talent designers.

Edited by Ginko

To be fair to shenmue from what I can remember it was groundbreaking in loads of ways, including QTEs, I was a huge RPGs fan and I'd never played anything like it, it was before skyrm and fallout 3 and opening draws and doing menial things

I'd lazily liken it to the last of us, the gameplay was flawed but the world it was set in and the story were superb

You did your shift at the docks driving your forklift and then went and spent your wages trying to get sonic out of the ball machine outside the grocery store round the corner from your house, it was a revolution, there was nothing else like it that I'd played

dont get me wrong i love the last of us, but i thought it was the games weak point personally, the graphics, the characters, the story, the setting, the set pieces (giraffes!) the world (although it needed to actually be open rather than just the illusion of being open, naughty dog do that IMO) were all superb, the gameplay was good but not perfect

shenmue was the same IMO

obviously heavy rain is the better comparison, but i loved heavy rain too 

Â