24 hours in Luxembourg

Xela

Gents and the occasional lady

I'm going to be in the 'Bourg for a day at some point in the near future... midday to midday. So, who has been (looking at you Tony) and what can I expect and what can I do in the time?

I'll be in the main Luxembourg City. From quick glances online, it seems to be very pretty (the Old Town at least) and the nightlife sounds pretty decent, if a little pricy.

Cheers 

15 mins in Luxembourg and then 23 hrs 45 mins elsewhere is the best advice :)

Tbh I've been but only in a coach passing through ... so I stopped for a cup of coffee and a cake before carrying on the coach journey

Think it has a few castles to look at and is quite scenic ... Bound to be bars as you get a lot of business types going there

• Like 1

It's not great.

I've been twice, spent about 3 days there in total. It's very expensive. Don't get a taxi from the airport, whatever you do, I managed to spend 30 euros on a ten minute journey. There isn't a great deal to do - half a day is plenty of time. Grund (old town) is quite pretty. Casemates Bock (a network of underground fortifications) is interesting to wander around. The National Museum of Art and History (http://www.mnha.public.lu/) is mildly diverting for a short while. Generally speaking it's a low key kinda place. I had a huge meal of mussels at a restaurant on the south side of Place d'Armes, but I can't remember the name.

And I'm out.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. I'll be arriving on the train from Brussels. Looks like a walk around the old town, bit of food (number of Michelin starred restaurants there apparently), get drunk, few hours kip in a hotel and then back to Brussels! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are expecting a quiet scenic place which is why we decided to go here for a weekend at end of the month. Basically eat food wander around then watch the World Cup matches in the evening. And it's a city we've never been to before. 

I have been a few times (mostly with work). Think of it as a city stop over rather than a break. I liked walking around the place and in parts was hilly (Note: there are lots of tunnels under it that the banks use but you wont get access to those!). Surprisingly a lot of Portuguese people live there !

It's an OK town IMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm booked up for this now... not until December though

CVBryne - what did you think of it when you went recently? 

• 3 months later...

Well, after visiting Luxembourg City, I can safely say it is lovely! The Grund area is gorgeous and the nightlife surprisingly busy! Pubs and bars were rammed and lots of beautiful people about (not me obviously!). Was only there 20 hours but would definitely do a longer weekend. 

Ha!  :D

Got the later train there as me and my mate felt absolutely awful on the Saturday morning after a very heavy night in Brussels. Hangover combined with lack of sleep made it the worst train journey I have been on. Spent most of it trying my hardest not to throw up  :mellow:

Â