The best console

Stethegeez

What is the best console?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best console?

• PS2
    • Gamecube
    • Xbox

Ok, is this a "best console?" question, or a "what console do you own?" question? No doubt the PS2 will win the poll, because of its larger userbase.

For me, it has to be the Xbox. Ive owned all three, and also use a PC for gaming, so i feel im qualified to talk. Xbox live is the best way to play games online. Its miles better than the PC online games.

Also, Xbox is better graphically, and is the only console that can transmit true 5.1 surround sound. Ok, some games are now made in Dolby Pro Logic II these days, which really adds to a game. I think graphically, games are getting to the point where all developers can add is spit and polish. Sound design is the next big thing, particularly with the rise in popularity of home cinema encouraging decent surround tracks into games. Games like FPS and stealth games really need to be played in surround to get the most out of them. The Xbox does this better than any other. The Xbox has a hard drive, which i think should be essential for all consoles from now on in. You cant beat custom soundtracks in games, and the ability to download things.

I also think the Xbox has the best exclusive games. Nintendo made games are always going to be quality. PS2 games tend to be largely sequels of shit that we have all played to death (particularly the bollocks that EA continue to release!) or converted to all other formats, where the Xbox version (and Gamecube and PC versions) will be better. This is largely because Sony tried some experement with parallel processing, which really hasnt worked. The machine is a bitch to program for, and get the best out of. Despite this, Sony seem to be going with parallel processing for the PS3. Microsoft have decided to go with an uber-PC in a box. Which will be the best will be interesting to look out for.

The original Playstation was the best console of its era. Sony got everything right. Now they just cant be arsed, because they know that the average gamer will buy any old shite, therefore the PS2 has suffered. A shame.

Get yourself a Vectrex from gamestation. They're about £140-180 sepending on condition.

Then tell me "Minestorm" isn't the best version of Asteroids ever.

What, even better than this version? :shock:

Get yourself a Vectrex from gamestation. They're about £140-180 sepending on condition.

Bloody hell there's a blast from the past! I used to have a Vectrex, absolutely loved the asteroids game. £140 seems a bit steep for one though!

whilst i think its a Ullises square shit personally PS2 is my choice, but what do you all think?

:D A prime example of the problems of filtering! (unless that was deliberate)

On a slightly related topic... I've got a PS2 bought out here, and I want Pro Evo 4, they don't sell it out here so logic says buy it off the internet, 34.99 including delivery to NZ isn't bad, but then I realised the format could be different out here, like with DVDs, so does anyone know where I can find out for certain whether a PS2 game bought in the UK will work on an NZ console? I know they're both PAL format, does that mean they will?

Also if anyone knows of it cheaper somewhere that'd be great too. Cheers

Having owned both PS2 and XBox I can honestly say that I love both for different reasons (just get the splinters out me arse). The Xbox is technically superior and Rev is right about the 5.1, it's fantastic and unnerving particularly when there are bullets flying around your head. :shock:

I've also played a fair bit of GameCube and am looking forward to a good session on Resi 4. Someone on here seems to like that one a bit :wink:

The only reason I would personally give the PS2 the edge is for the four weeks solid that I played GTAIII on it's rather inconspicuous release (skiving off four days from work in the process). I have been a gamer for 25 years and still nothing has come close to those four weeks for sheer entertainment and violent bliss. :twisted:

So, it's obviously a very personal choice but in the end mine comes down to the bare bones of overall enjoyment. PS2 by a whisker for me.

No no no ! Burgertime on the intellivision. Or Nightstalker. Or who could forget B17 Bomber with the intellivoice. But Biplanes on the triple action cart still makes my mates demand I get it out when they come round!

I found one of those thing's in the In-laws loft, took it to game station who gladly gave me £70 for it and £7 per game

first gaming i remeber, is Mr Do! on the Colecovision.

Ah yes, the cherry eating game!

:D

Mousetrap amd Looping was good fun as well.

I found one of those thing's in the In-laws loft, took it to game station who gladly gave me £70 for it and £7 per game

It was worth double that! More if boxed.

Funnilly enough, I used to have a "Flag man" which was a small lcd game. It was based on "simon" the game where you have to remember sequences of numbers.

I saw one in a second hand shop in Croydon. For £170 ! Unboxed! It was only a tenner new, but was apparently one of the very first electronic Nintendo toys, before the game and watch series. If only my dad could find the bloody thing....

Rev...I thought you were like 22 or younger? How would you then know about Colecovision?

Dig Dug kicks arse.

I was 26 in February.

My mate had a Colecovision. We used to play Mr Do! all the time. We even had our own lyrics for all the little jingles. :oops:

xbox...

especially when chipped with an 80 gig hard drive inside....

Even better with a 160GB one .. wish I had done it moons ago, as only had mine done recently

Top notch machine

Â