Travelling Alone

mikeyp102

Get yourself down Orchard Towers and into Ipanema. 

Even The Elephant Man could get his cock wet there (although, wasn't his cock one of the few parts of his body not enlarged? Poor sod...)

How was Singers?

Get the feeling more and more that the only way I'm going to see the world or even parts of Europe is to go it alone. Been let down too many times this year by mates dropping out

How was Singers?

Get the feeling more and more that the only way I'm going to see the world or even parts of Europe is to go it alone. Been let down too many times this year by mates dropping out

I do a bit of both , often spontaneous like Norway when i was in Tesco shopping and thought I'm bored what can i do today

Or sometimes I ask a mate who I think might be up for it ...Jerusalem in a couple of weeks where I just text a mate and said fancy a beer in Jerusalem on the 11th :)

Either or is fine for me tbh though I tend to have bigger hangovers when i go with friends :)

How was Singers?

I do a bit of both , often spontaneous like Norway when i was in Tesco shopping and thought I'm bored what can i do today

Or sometimes I ask a mate who I think might be up for it ...Jerusalem in a couple of weeks where I just text a mate and said fancy a beer in Jerusalem on the 11th :)

Either or is fine for me tbh though I tend to have bigger hangovers when i go with friends :)

You must have so many awesome stories Tonyh! Share your best ever travelling moment with us...

Oh heck I wouldn't know where to begin

I'm sure most of my travel reports are in this travel forum though

I'd have to put North Korea top for the overall experience but the train to Tibet would take some beating for the most breathtaking

But then there was Iran and Galapagos and China and and and its just too hard to really pick a favourite ... I'm quite interested in ancient Egypt history so going inside the pyramids was also a highlight ... Went there in 1984 and my dad and i climbed one to the very top and we had the whole place to ourselves and could go where we wanted ... Went there again in 2011 and its rammed with tourists and security and needless to say you can't climb the pyramid anymore

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

So an update.

Singapore was ridiculously expensive. Some people who I met seemed to love the place. It was a bit meh for me, it's a pretty city but that's it. Did manage to find a hike through a forest and then suspension bridge over the top of the trees.

Three nights is too much in my eyes.

Just leaving Bangkok down to Ao Nang. Got smashed my first night here with some Dutch and Belgium people down Kao San road. Saw plenty of prossies and lady boys, but didn't touch any. Not so drunk last night down Kao San again. Didn't bother with sky bar as really expensive so I hear.

Did a couple of temples this morning and watched some Muay Thai training.

I seem to be missing some people activities though. Singapore the hostel I was in had a scooter tour, but they only did it the day before I got there and the day after I left, again in this hostel in BK they have a activity night tonight now in leaving. As such I haven't met loads of people yet. Hoping it will pick up down the islands. Picked a self proclaimed party hostel so hopefully meet more.

Alex just do it, you keep waiting for mates and will end up never doing it. Come and have a beer with me ;)

• Like 4

How was Singers?

I would have no problem sight seeing etc on my own and filling my days, its just the evenings and going out drinking. I'd much rather do it with mates and have a laugh with them instead of rolling solo. 

Alex just do it, you keep waiting for mates and will end up never doing it. Come and have a beer with me ;)

Not down Khao San Road.. full of bloody travellers and hippies!  ;)  I'll see you in Sukhumvit Soi 11 for a night out  :D

Edited by Xela

How was Singers?

I would have no problem sight seeing etc on my own and filling my days, its just the evenings and going out drinking. I'd much rather do it with mates and have a laugh with them instead of rolling solo.

If you were in a hostel it would be very unlikely that you'd be rolling solo.

How was Singers?

If you were in a hostel it would be very unlikely that you'd be rolling solo.

true  .. you'll have a prison cell mate to play with after you bash some pony tailed guitar playing back packer to death

jealous of mikeys trip 2.5 months in oz with no itinerary....fantastic

not even Aussies want to spend 2.5 months in their own country  .. that Earls court is a more attravive proposition for them is all you need to know :)

So I'm considering going travelling unfortunately it seems that I may have to go alone. Has anyone any experiences of doing this? How easy us it to meet people. What's the general age range? It'll probably be on the backpackers route, Thailand, Aus, NZ, Fiji (maybe throwing in Sri Lanka to watch the cricket to start off with) etc. I'm pretty confident and happy to talk to people, just a little worried that by the time I go I'll be 32 and everyone else will be a lot younger and ill stand out like a sore thumb.

Interested to hear people's experiences.

I travelled around the world with my mate for 2 months in SE Asia then on my own for South America. I met loads of people and ended up travelling with them for parts of the trip. The 2 absolute best pieces of advice I can give you.

No1 - A good hostel can make a city. Book in a advance, and make sure you go to the ones with high reviews on Hostelworld and in Lonely Planet. 

No2 - Travel light, I took a 40 liter backpack and never once regretted not taking a bigger one. 

In SE Asia you'll meet loads of other back packers so don't worry about it. I think travelling on your own is probably the best idea as you can make all your own decisions. 

Also debunk the normal fears people have. I didn't have an argument let alone a mugging or anything in any country I visited. If you are not being stupid you won't be in any danger. 

Also preconceptions are almost always wrong. Only negative things about a country really ever make it into western world news. For example, without question Colombia is the best country I've ever visited and the people are on a different planet when it comes to genuine hospitable and friendly. I'm Irish and we (rightly) have a reputation for being welcoming, Colombians put us to shame.

So preconceptions, we will have them, but they are almost always incorrect. 

The time I spent travelling was the best time of my life. I wish I could do it all again.

• Like 1

I must've had the shitest luck with hostels so far. As mentioned previously, the first two I stayed at did activities when I was leaving. Other places the people I've met have already done the next places I fancied going to so could only spend one or two nights with them.

Now I'm in Koh phanagan for full moon and the hostel is pretty empty (admittedly I'd expected it as I'm doing the four nights before full moon as have to rush off on the Sunday), but the couple of people here didn't even want to go out for a few beers and the towns are bit far to walk to, meaning I'd have to get an expensive taxi back and forth on my own, plus for me it's harder to join a group at a bar I don't know.

Really must've been cursed. :(

Hopefully picks up next couple of days when more people arrive.

Although working at the elephant sanctuary next week is cool, it has hindered some stuff as have to rush other areas.

Thinking in Oz, cairns to Sydney is a popular route so hopefully get with people to travel with then, as my plans are pretty much open.

Â