Luke Shaw

maqroll

Marc Albrighton > Luke Shaw

Did nobody see the game at VP?

Exactly what I thought when I seen the big price tag on him

No disrespect to mark but if he can cause shaw that many problems how would he cope against CL opposition

Luke Shaw compilation video.

Lasts all of one and a half minutes and contains 0 goals and 1 assist. Pretty pathetic.

Where does his reputation as an offensive player come from? He played 35 games this season and scarcely managed 1 key pass per game. In contrast, Southampton's other fullback Nathenial Clyne ended the season with more than 1 key pass per game and 4 assists.

Sure, it is only one season and he is very young. But at this stage all this abilities will improve, including his defensive ones, and I think he is more likely to end up World Class defensively than going forward.

Another thing that makes me think he will soon go CB - this guy is big and athletic and at 19 is only going to get bigger. Like Ivanovic, he won't have the agility to play LB as his permanent position.

Con.. Take a break from reading stats and watch a game of football, you never know you might like it.

• Like 2

No disrespect to mark but if he can cause shaw that many problems how would he cope against CL opposition

Albrighton caused Shaw problems because of his agility. When Shaw moves to CB he won't have to face nippy 5' wingers every Saturday.

Albrighton caused Shaw problems because of his agility. When Shaw moves to CB he won't have to face nippy 5' wingers every Saturday.

Instead he will face Andy Carroll who will destroy him in the air.

Edited by TRS-T

he is a talent but I fear he is being too much too soon and been lined up as the next media target him or Barkley. If Van Gaal takes over at United he will love him and he be in safe hands

Instead he will face Andy Carroll who will destroy him in the air.

You can say that about any defender against an in-form Andy Carroll. 

At 6'1" he's a typical height for a centre-back. This is not Ashley Cole we're talking about.

Shaw is the best left back to come along for many a year. so why do you want to convert him to cb.. The game has changed so much that fullbacks  play as wingers these days. You have holding midfield players to do the defensive duties....He may not have an explosive shot like Bale but he's probably ahead of Bale was at the same age....

Shaw is the best left back to come along for many a year. so why do you want to convert him to cb.. The game has changed so much that fullbacks  play as wingers these days. You have holding midfield players to do the defensive duties....He may not have an explosive shot like Bale but he's probably ahead of Bale was at the same age....

1. Shaw has a powerful physique and is still growing. Soon he will be too big for the fullback position. This will compromise his ability to defend e.g. against fast, agile, smaller wingers. Albrighton's recent nutmeg sums this up.

2. Shaw is not good enough offensively to play as a wingback. In 35 games just 1 assist and barely 1 key pass a game. Southampton's other fullback Clyne has better offensive stats from fewer games, yet he is not cited as a super-star like Shaw. Why? Unlike Shaw he doesn't have a future at centre-back.

3. Shaw has all the talent and attributes to be a World Class centre-back.

1. Shaw has a powerful physique and is still growing. Soon he will be too big for the fullback position. This will compromise his ability to defend e.g. against fast, agile, smaller wingers. Albrighton's recent nutmeg sums this up.

2. Shaw is not good enough offensively to play as a wingback. In 35 games just 1 assist and barely 1 key pass a game. Southampton's other fullback Clyne has better offensive stats from fewer games, yet he is not cited as a super-star like Shaw. Why? Unlike Shaw he doesn't have a future at centre-back.

All according to you.

Shaw is the best left back to come along for many a year. so why do you want to convert him to cb.. The game has changed so much that fullbacks play as wingers these days. You have holding midfield players to do the defensive duties....He may not have an explosive shot like Bale but he's probably ahead of Bale was at the same age....

I mostly agree with what you say, just not how you say it.

1 nutmeg from marc albrighton does not make him a bad full back. Im sure players such as Cole, Zanetti and Maldini have been nutmegged before...

Whilst stats are good ways of making an argument for or against something, never use stats to base an opinion. They only ever add weight to your argument, they never make the argument.

Please recognise the difference. It'll help you out a lot on here.

He has too much talent with the ball to be "wasted" at CB. As mentioned previously, Maldini is one of the best defenders the game has seen. He had the ability for playing CB, he had the height for it and all the attributes necessary, but he played as a left back because he could add much more to the team that way. Obviously he did eventually move to centre back, after his legs went.

He has too much talent with the ball to be "wasted" at CB. As mentioned previously, Maldini is one of the best defenders the game has seen. He had the ability for playing CB, he had the height for it and all the attributes necessary, but he played as a left back because he could add much more to the team that way. Obviously he did eventually move to centre back, after his legs went.

Shaw's got ball skill but any more-so than John Stones at Everton (and on the England stand-by list)? Just because he has ball-skill doesn't mean he is too good for CB.

Paolo Maldini wasn't CB at the start of his career because of the Catenaccio system that was dominant in Italy in the '90s.

The CBs held a deep line, didn't have far to retreat so didn't need a lot of pace.

Now nobody plays old-style Catenaccio, not even in Italy, and today the modern CB is screwed without a lot of pace.

So it is the idea position for Shaw.

Con, name me some CBs who contribute to the attacking play of a team? Even those that're tidiest on the ball often just play it simple to the CM or full back. Playing him at CB wastes all that he can contribute in the opposition half. Shaw is better going forward than he is defensively. If he ever moves position (unlikely, IMO) it'll be into midfield, not at the back.

Well, that isn't totally right. The Milan Maldini played for broke away from Catenaccio in the late 80s. Sacchi's 4-4-2 was arguably the most influential tactic in modern football.

#justsayin

Okay, so I was wrong about that in the specific case of Maldini's club, Milan (although he may have played different for Italy?).

Milan's CBs would be higher up the pitch, playing the offside trap instead. However, they still would not have needed the pace they do today.  

The offside trap was easier to maintain for that Milan side (none of that interfering with play rule lark).  

Also there was less panic when they had the ball because the goalkeeper could pick up the ball on a pass back from the CB, so they didn't need so much skill on the ball.

Â