Thank You, Randy Lerner

maqroll

Thank you for coming to the conclusion, as you have now, and therefore keeping your word that you would sell the club if you could no longer lead it forward.

and this is a key point and why I have a tonne of respect for the man.

Agreed with all of what you said.

• Like 3

The Holte Hotel is alright. On the other hand, the Balti pies temperature isn't perfect, 8 seasons later.

All in all, a very mixed reign.

Edited by Davkaus

Not to be pedantic, but Ellis hired MON and set the Bodymoor Heath improvements in motion before Lerner arrived.

I agree with the overall sentiment though. Randy's done a lot of great things for this club and deserves to be remembered in a positive light. 

Thank you, Randy.

• Like 1

Not to be pedantic, but Ellis hired MON and set the Bodymoor Heath improvements in motion before Lerner arrived.

I agree with the overall sentiment though. Randy's done a lot of great things for this club and deserves to be remembered in a positive light. 

Thank you, Randy.

Ha, quite right on that little fact! 

Absolutely.  Hardly a perfect stint, but certainly compared to what some clubs (e.g. Newcastle, Cardiff, Hull, Leeds, etc., etc.) have had to put up with, Randy Lerner has been a good steward.  As long as he doesn't sell to Red Bull, that is.

Thank you for being willing to spend when the manager asked you to.

Apart from the last 3 January windows when our premiership status was gambled with.

Yep, I was referring to the O'Neill era

When Doug was ill, wanted out and had no interest in anything but surviving we finished with 42 points.

Randy, who loves us, always tries his best and always puts the club first has achieved less than that 3 years in a row.

If that doesn't show how useless he is I'm not sure what will.

When Doug was ill, wanted out and had no interest in anything but surviving we finished with 42 points.

Randy, who loves us, always tries his best and always puts the club first has achieved less than that 3 years in a row.

I'm pretty sure most on here are well aware of the myriad failings of Lerner. I just thought that given the news today, it would be a good time to reflect on some of the positives of his tenure, not the negatives. 

Edited by maqroll

I'm pretty sure most on here are well aware of the myriad failings of Lerner. I just thought that given the news today, it would be a good time to reflect on some of the positives of his tenure, not the negatives.

I think there were positives I just picked out that one as I don't feel its true.

I was extremely happy when he came and absolutely loved the first four years. Getting back to wembly, seeing quality players wear the shirt and becoming a respected club again was incredible. But he ruined it, with mistake after mistake and if we'd evened out and he'd left when we were just a midtable club then I'd probably join you in thanking him. But for me the last 4 years and especially the last 3 take away any respect I had for him and I don't think he does deserve thanks.

Twice we've finished on 38 points. We're extremely lucky we're still a premiership team. I'm not going to thabk lerner because there were a few teams worse than us.

• Like 1

The Holte Hotel is alright. On the other hand, the Balti pies temperature isn't perfect, 8 seasons later.

All in all, a very mixed reign.

I preferred it as a ships galley. Used to love boxing there.

The negatives outweigh the positives as far as Lerner is concerned.  I wasn't a fan of the "hearts and minds" guff like Krulak posting on here from the start, it was all just marketing bollocks.  And yes, he let O'Neill spend more or less what he wanted, but that's what has directly led to the position we're in now, so even that is tarnished. 

I think there were positives I just picked out that one as I don't feel its true.

I was extremely happy when he came and absolutely loved the first four years. Getting back to wembly, seeing quality players wear the shirt and becoming a respected club again was incredible. But he ruined it, with mistake after mistake and if we'd evened out and he'd left when we were just a midtable club then I'd probably join you in thanking him. But for me the last 4 years and especially the last 3 take away any respect I had for him and I don't think he does deserve thanks.

Twice we've finished on 38 points. We're extremely lucky we're still a premiership team. I'm not going to thabk lerner because there were a few teams worse than us.

Big John in I hate Randy shocker!

Been over this already but how can you say he doesn't deserve thanks? Take your Ellis tinted specs off for a second. Under Ellis we were in an awful position before he sold. He made the players pay for their own masseurs and he wouldn't even sanction a move for Erik Bakke.

Randy hasn't been perfect but he does deserve thanks for respecting our tradition and he's writing off £100m to sell us if reports are to be believed

I think the O'Neill thing is overplayed - our spending changed, but not as dramatically as our fortunes suggest - the value of things changed at the same time, so just as we were reaching, the opportunity to come down slowly became a lot more difficult - with the money Lerner gave to O'Neill, we'd struggle for top ten now.

For me there are a lot of positives to Lerner's tenure, and a lot of negatives too - I think unfortunately we got the perfect Chairman for a game that no longer exists. One of Lerner's biggest failings is that he's in a lot of ways old fashioned.

• Like 1