End of season review

PompeyVillan

Mcleish was the worst. We didnt play to win. And we won fewer games. Playing awful football and players out of position. Dreadful signings given the money.

But only Marginally worse than Lamberts era

The home losses make it the worst for me.

Both home records have been shit, but didn't we actually win more and score more at home this season?

I think we did. But loss after loss just deflates any joy from picking up those few extra points for me.

I place blame on lack of goals for the death of this season really. We struggled for form because only Benteke and Kozak looked like they had goals in them, and both had seasons wrecked by injuries. Our whole gameplan strangled our our offensive capabilities, but Weimann and Gabs have to shoulder a lot of responsibility too. As such we seemed to lack confidence as a team and struggled with consistency.

Really, our team is in an awkward place: KEA, Westwood, Weimann, Gabby, Bacuna, Clark, Baker, Albrighton have all shown that they can be very useful during spells but none of them have been consistently good enough. Do we replace these players? Keep going with them? It's unclear. Also how do you solve a problem like Lowton?

Positives? Vlaar's fantastic, Delph is beginning to deliver on his potential and we had some great games against bigger opposition.

It was always likely to be a dull, mediocre season but it did end up more disappointing than my fairly realistic expectations.

Bleh.

Edited by LordSepulchrave

Worse than last season in that this one left a very sour taste for the summer. Last season ended on a higher note with promise for better this year. This year the last few months have killed all joy out of football. I don't know where we go without a takeover.

Edited by AVTuco

This season has shown we have shortcomings in defence , midfield and attack . Benteke will be gone in the summer , leaving even bigger problems up front . Any hope for next year depends on Lerner selling , and a new manager . If not , more of the same next year I`m afraid .

Worse than McLeish for me and definitely worst in my lifetime.

Football was marginally better and more wins, but at the time the McLeish season didn't seem as bad as he was totally scapegoated and the season seemed somewhat of an anomaly.

All the optimism at the start of the season makes this one so much worse. #wank

It's funny and easy to forget that this season we've had more memorable wins than the last two put together....Arsenal opening day, Man. City even if that was a fluke, Southampton was a good result and amusing given we touched the ball about 5 days, West Brom and Chelsea were cracking wins and even a point at Liverpool was excellent given the annual hidings they've given visiting teams.

But they're just been so many dismal performances against bottom half teams and we have fallen off a cliff since the Chelsea game.

When you look to the start of the season we started with 3 wins out of 6 (Arsenal, Norwich and Man. City). That really should've given us a basis for a mid table season and in fairness for most of this season we were in 10-12th but just hopeless since the Chelsea win.

Poor Season no denying that, in my opinion made worse by results against teams like Arsenal, Man City & Chelsea. Watching thoughs performances and then seeing the pathetic effort put in against stoke for example after we went 1 nil up after 5 minutes makes me angry. I know people always say you can have a go at the players ability but the effort can't be questioned thats rubbish, the effort against stoke wasn't there i don't think we put in one decent tackle all game. I accept that this could be down to the manager and his tactics but for me i think the efforts of some of the players in a lot of games was not good enough and i don't understand why?

On the manager i was a big fan of Lambert when he was at Norwich the way he got them working hard chasing down and pressing all over the pitch, just like we did aganst Chelsea and guess what we got a result. But my faith in him is disappearing rapidly why set up a side to press the opposition for 7-8 games a season and then the rest of the time sit off and let poor sides pass around us it really makes no sense to me.

Another issue i have with the team/manager is how deep we defend the defence drops off so deep (yes i admit are defence other than Vlarr is Championship standard at best and League 1/2 for Baker) and our midfield almost drops on to the toes of the already deep defence. Yesterday against Spurs every clearence from the defence just dropped nice and easily into Midfield for say sandro to have all the time in the world to then start another attack off. We should be pushing out getting pressure on the 2nd ball. We don't win any second balls because we sit so deep and then the ball gets cleared over the head of the midfeld and we are on the back foot again. I don't get the tactics, i can't be because we want to keep a clean sheet because we haven't kept many of them so dropping deep does not stop us conceding lots of goals. Back in MON day its used to frustrate me the amount of games we threw away by gettign a goal and then dropping on oto our own 6 yard line and trying to see the game out and ultimatly not being good enough to do it but now we do it frm the first whistle.

Is it just me or would you rather have lost 6 nil at city and perhaps tried to get out our own half? i felt ashamed of the tactics in that game.

to sum up some crap players badly organised

rant over for now and i still love Villa even if i don't like them right now.

If ever there was a season that made me want to go back in time, this was it...

First stop - Wembley 1996...

Second stop - Wembley 1957 (we last won the FA Cup in the STEAM DAYS!!!)

Third stop - August 1992 to May 1993 (I wouldn't have spent my 18th year as a shy boy either - had a full bag to empty somewhere)

Final stop - Rotterdam.

**** off and fed up... Modern life is rubbish...

If we hadn't won those games we would have been relegated - so it really wasn't worse for winning them. 

the reason i say its worse is because it highlighted how we can play and how we chose to play against the sides such as stoke. Clearly it was important we won those games but annoys me we didn't perform like that more often.

Â