Glastonbury 2014

Xann

This is my 6th glasto on the bounce, but possibly my last seeing as I'll hopefully be teaching from next year.

I love this festival so much, there's just something about it that isn't possible to explain to someone that hasn't been.

Didn't even realise the Wailers were back together and touring

I'm not even going to bother with my usual festivals are shit and Glasto is the king of festivals rant… oh

What's your problem with festivals Bicks? I love them, though I've never been to Glastonbury...

Oh where do I start… They're outdoors and as a result sound quality is greatly diminished, camping sucks, campsites suck, to get a good spec to watch a band you like you have to plan hours in advance or watch the band on a big telly. Even the stages are too big for the band half the time, the drummer has to communicate with the bass player by semaphore. I bloody detest queueing for anything, the idea of wearing wellies for 4 to 5 days straight… I'd rather live in Coventry for a month and thats before I even start on the type of people large festivals in the UK can attract… oh and talking of Coventry… chemical toilets, nien danke especially day two onwards. really is my kind of musical hell

Haha fair enough. I've done Reading twice when I was younger and I wouldn't go to that kind of thing again. I'm over camping for the most part; I did it at Bestival last year but only because the tickets were free and we had artist camping with our own showers etc. Sound issues at bestival are indeed a problem, especially on the main stage, although the general atmosphere and line-up is decent.

Generally I festival abroad these days and get an apartment or a villa. It'll be Sonar in Barcelona this year, but I can't recommend Worldwide Festival highly enough. It's damn sexy (and thus not advised for rock fans :D

Didn't even realise the Wailers were back together and touring

I'm not even going to bother with my usual festivals are shit and Glasto is the king of festivals rant… oh

What's your problem with festivals Bicks? I love them, though I've never been to Glastonbury...

Oh where do I start… They're outdoors and as a result sound quality is greatly diminished, camping sucks, campsites suck, to get a good spec to watch a band you like you have to plan hours in advance or watch the band on a big telly. Even the stages are too big for the band half the time, the drummer has to communicate with the bass player by semaphore. I bloody detest queueing for anything, the idea of wearing wellies for 4 to 5 days straight… I'd rather live in Coventry for a month and thats before I even start on the type of people large festivals in the UK can attract… oh and talking of Coventry… chemical toilets, nien danke especially day two onwards. really is my kind of musical hell

Haha fair enough. I've done Reading twice when I was younger and I wouldn't go to that kind of thing again. I'm over camping for the most part; I did it at Bestival last year but only because the tickets were free and we had artist camping with our own showers etc. Sound issues at bestival are indeed a problem, especially on the main stage, although the general atmosphere and line-up is decent.

Generally I festival abroad these days and get an apartment or a villa. It'll be Sonar in Barcelona this year, but I can't recommend Worldwide Festival highly enough. It's damn sexy (and thus not advised for rock fans :D

VILLA!

Generally I festival abroad these days and get an apartment or a villa.

2zyvkhy.jpg

Friends that do D&B do Sun & Bass.

They throw parties on the beach, take over a hotel, club and bar.

:)

Yes indeed, I have friends who have been there too, it looks great. Will have to go some to beat my favourite venue at Worldwide though:

2013-06-25_184457_Worldwide-Festival-top

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Starts tomorrow. Anyone looking forward to this? Few acts I wouldn't mind watching on the iPlayer / red button. The prospect of seeing Fearne Cotton / Edith Bowman / any other talentless annoying bint shouting on BBC Three, about all the bands I've hated all year, leaves me in a cold sweat though. 

• Like 1

Anyone looking forward to this?

Yes. I often find one or two groups/performers that I was never likely to come across elsewhere.

Am hoping that the old 'connected' TV thing means that there are a lot more options of what to watch/hear.

So most of the "new stuff" from bands I've not heard of, are mostly songs from adverts. Nice to see the young ones keeping the spirit of Rock & Roll alive. 

Â