On the move again

NurembergVillan

Canada eh?

Went to Toronto on my honeymoon. Completely fell in love with the place.

Am hoping to emigrate there in 2/3 years. Hopefully in B.C. I'll meet you over there for a few beers one day!! :-)

Hope everything goes well with your wedding too. Have a great stag do.

I honestly think the best part of my wedding was the anticipation. The day itself will absolutely fly by. Just try and soak as much if it in as you possibly can :-)

• Like 1

You're not kidding!  I was shocked at the rental prices.  We're aiming to live in Kitsilano, near the office.  I'll send you a PM in the next few days for sure.  Thanks.

Kits is a lovely spot. You should have great views, which will be good as looking out the window is about all you'll be able to afford to do ;)

• Like 1

Tips for living in Canada/Vancouver:

1. Buy 7 toques. One for each day of the week.

2. Obtain a copy of Strange Brew. Watch repeatedly until you can quote by heart.

3. Learn to like maple syrup on every kind of meat.

4. Make friends with people from a Mennonite background and get invited to one of their barbecues.

5. Understand the difference between boarding and roughing

6. They aren't "Indians" or "native Americans", they're "First Nations"

7. Don't try and pronounce places with First Nation names, unless you're absolutely sure (eg Tsawwassen, Popkum, Tzouhalem).

8. Hockey is a man's game, soccer is for girls (and pansies). There is no point trying to argue otherwise.

9. After two hours of queuing to get in for breakfast at Sophie's Cosmic Cafe, you might decide it's not worth the wait. You would be wrong.

10. Make sure you can name as many Canadian celebrities as you can. They get offended when you've never heard of Sarah McLachlan or if you tell them you thought Jim Carrey was American.

11. B.C. Bud is lethal

12. The Grouse Grind will kill you.

• Like 2

Thank for the list of tips.  Had to Google a couple of the bits in there, but I guess that's all part of the cultural change!

Anyone got any ideas where I should look for housing rentals aside from craigslist?  We'll have an agency working for us, but I want to get a head start and think I've exhausted all the obvious places to look like kijiji.

If you were nearer the border I'd recommend Rudy Dyck or his brother Randy Dyck (I kid you not!).

If you know people in Van, it's worth trying to get a local's recommendation on a real estate agent. I'll see if my contacts know anyone but most people I know are a way out of town.

Â