Villa's accounts (to May 31 2013)

The_Steve

Accounts for the year to 31 May 2013

Ownership: Owned by Randy Lerner, via Reform Acquisitions LLC, a USA company.

Turnover: 10th in league, £84m (up from £80m in 2012)

Gate and matchday: £13m

TV and broadcasting: £46m

Commercial: £16m

Uefa pool money: £0.5m

Wage bill: 8th highest, £72m (up from £70m)

Wages as proportion of turnover: 85.7%

Loss before tax: £52m (following £18m loss in 2011-12)

Net debt: £189m

Interest payable: £1m

Highest paid director: £251,000 to unnamed director (Paul Faulkner is the chief executive)

The state it's in: Punishing loss for a 13th-place finish, and for the club's owner Randy Lerner, whose venture into English football ownership has been expensive. Lerner's holding company increased its lending by £42m to £179m, on top of millions already invested in shares since he bought the club in 2006. In December Lerner waived repayment of £90m in loans. The accounts state a commitment to reducing player costs overall while giving manager Paul Lambert £19m to spend on players last summer, but for Lerner the early feelgood seasons and sixth place finishes must feel like a honeymoon long ago.

link

Looking at those accounts it's apparent that the managements  brief has not been to cut back, but to stop the the figures climbing even higher, whilst maintaining an "acceptable" league position, based on that I can't help but think that if we had not had so many injuries to our better players we would have achieved this. 

• Like 3

Old news these came out months ago the director is Faulkner and the wages went up 2 million last year due to the number of players brought in. We have about 12m going in wages to the bomb squad alone

I think what's new is seeing our finances laid out alongside all other premier league clubs. Also the calculation that we had 10th highest turnover and 8th highest wages last year.

Some might think a 15th place last season (not 13th as the Guardian wrongly says) was a meagre return for that but the excuses (sorry, reasons) are set out in full in the Paul Lambert thread if anyone can bear to read them.

I wouldn't start a witch-hunt about Faulkner's salary, though; it is one of the lowest in the league by a long chalk (although some are not declared). It pales by comparison with, for example, the £1.716m [to ?David McNally?] for Norwich and £1.6m [presumably to dear Karren?] at West Ham. And some of the rich and successful clubs are even further off the scale.

Would love to know who the unnamed director is, earning £251,000.

Probably Krulak.

£250k a year for spouting bullshit to fans paying his wages. :(

No, it'll be Paul Faulkner.  Krulak is/was only a Non-Exec.  It's not a lot by Premier League standards, but is more than he's worth.

A question - £13m for matchday and gate money.

That's 20 games a year - maybe 35,000 people at each - so 700,000 people. Scratch that, I'm going to make it 32,500 per game to give us 650,000 people (it makes the numbers easier).

Each of those people is therefore paying £20 for their matchday experience. £20 for the ticket, maybe a programme, maybe a burger and a beer.

Is anyone else paying just £20 for a ticket and whatever else they get?

I know some of those will be kids and pensioners - but equally some of them will be having a three course meal and a good drink in our fine hospitality areas.

Surely our matchday and gate money should be more than £13m?

What am I missing?

That's 20 games a year - maybe 35,000 people at each - so 700,000 people. Scratch that, I'm going to make it 32,500 per game to give us 650,000 people (it makes the numbers easier).

Each of those people is therefore paying £20 for their matchday experience. £20 for the ticket, maybe a programme, maybe a burger and a beer.

I know some of those will be kids and pensioners - but equally some of them will be having a three course meal and a good drink in our fine hospitality areas.

What am I missing?

Staffing, policing and admin match days probably. Plus loads of kid tickets for £1.

What am I missing?

Staffing, policing and admin match days probably. Plus loads of kid tickets for £1.

No I doubt it as these would come under costs rather than impact on revenues.

Looking at the revenues listed they don't add to the total turnover mentioned of £84m. My guess is catering is probably not included in the match day and gate receipt figure shown.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

251k for CEO of Villa, that is a paltry amount for that role.  I'd always love to be CEO of the Villa, as I would never be fortunate to be an owner.  Hypothetically this is the peak I could probably attain and through my love of Villa it would mean I would do it for nothing but for a CEO of the size/kind of company we are and the attention we get, if I wasn't a Villa fan I wouldn't touch it.