Gerry Adams arrested in connection with a murder 1972

TrentVilla

no need to apologise, it's a big emotive subject

it's one of the very few subjects that's probably too tricky for a messageboard as people quickly take positions that probably aren't what they'd say face to face with somebody on the other side that has suffered loss

it's a count to 10 and re read it sort of subject

no need to apologise, it's a big emotive subject

it's one of the very few subjects that's probably too tricky for a messageboard as people quickly take positions that probably aren't what they'd say face to face with somebody on the other side that has suffered loss

it's a count to 10 and re read it sort of subject

Exactly.

I understand you have your views and beliefs RV, I do. But as you said, if you were "Irish" you'd hold a completely different view. So what is the patriotism born of? Duty? If so, duty to whom?

My mother lost her best friend to the Birmingham pub bombings. It had a massive negative impact on her life and consequently, I believe, my own. But that is in my opinion as a direct consequence of the path our government chose for us.

I understand it's an incredibly emotive subject, and trying to sum it up in a few words on here is only going to cause pointless argument. Ultimately it's the governments at fault, as ever, and it is they who should be held accountable.

Gerry Adams is not a nice man. He is, for all intents and purposes, a war criminal. But he is far from alone.

Agree. I avoided posting all day on the subject for the reason that I'd probably say stuff which would not paint me in a bad picture but would make me seem a bit off the mark. Its a very touchy subject and a difficult one as like you say doug it creates pointless arguments.

I have my views and beliefs on this particular subject, don't get me wrong our government over the years and to this day are corrupt but it don't take away the fact that I'm british and I'm completely against the ira like they are against us. Certain things I don't believe in that our government and country do but ay the world aint perfect. One or two things have gone on in my life that makes me bitter towards the ira even more than I normally would be but I know it aint all one way. They will eventually get what they want at somepoint no doubt and will it then stop?

Well they have stopped.

Will Ireland be united at some point? Doesn't look close right now, if it happened without 99.9% support it would be trouble.

I have my views and beliefs on this particular subject, don't get me wrong our government over the years and to this day are corrupt but it don't take away the fact that I'm british and I'm completely against the ira like they are against us. Certain things I don't believe in that our government and country do but ay the world aint perfect. One or two things have gone on in my life that makes me bitter towards the ira even more than I normally would be but I know it aint all one way. They will eventually get what they want at somepoint no doubt and will it then stop?

Well they have stopped.

Will Ireland be united at some point? Doesn't look close right now, if it happened without 99.9% support it would be trouble.

how have they stopped?.

Well they have stopped.

how have they stopped?.

Peace process, decommissioning etc

Its still going on behind the scenes. Even people involved in the peace process will still be involved with ira activists. Only the other week bomb scares were had at army bases in this country involving the ira. They are on the rise again.

Its still going on behind the scenes. Even people involved in the peace process will still be involved with ira activists. Only the other week bomb scares were had at army bases in this country involving the ira. They are on the rise again.

No they're not, the troubles are over.

There's a lot of idiots with not much to do still around but they're criminals and scumbags rather than anything political.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

There are dissidents about, still capable of killing people - Massereene for example, and the occasional retributive shooting that still goes on. They are far from being capable of sustaining a campaign, and are far, far, far away from being capable of attempting something significant in England.

I wouldn't worry about it. We are largely post-Troubles, but what we have now may lack the violence, but it's still deeply divided and run by old gangsters on both sides. But y'all don't care about that.

the one 'theory' about this is that it's an internal affair and people that Sinn Fein no longer associate with are trying to drag everyone back to the good old bad old days when their gangs and rackets so them have influence and cash in their local community

by naming Adams the hard line dinosaurs drag all this back up, damage the party vote and provoke extreme reaction

in that respect Camoron is wrong to say the arrest isn't a political act - I think he meant to say this wasn't state instigated, which I do genuinely believe 

No they're not, the troubles are over.

There's a lot of idiots with not much to do still around but they're criminals and scumbags rather than anything political.

they were always criminals and scumbags, the political excuse was their thing to hide behind.

the one 'theory' about this is that it's an internal affair and people that Sinn Fein no longer associate with are trying to drag everyone back to the good old bad old days when their gangs and rackets so them have influence and cash in their local community

by naming Adams the hard line dinosaurs drag all this back up, damage the party vote and provoke extreme reaction

in that respect Camoron is wrong to say the arrest isn't a political act - I think he meant to say this wasn't state instigated, which I do genuinely believe

Yep that's my feeling as well except this will only enhance not reduce Sinn Fein's vote. No one with decide not to vote because the leaders been nicked but several thousand will drag themselves off the sofa to d so.

Tbh, I think there should be some sort of amnesty. People from both sides get full immunity if they disclose everything. It'll give families a bit of peace, and stop the endless inquiries that only benefit lawyers. Admittedly it'll never happen, and in many respects, it should have happened after the Good Friday Agreement.

Tbh, I think there should be some sort of amnesty. People from both sides get full immunity if they disclose everything. It'll give families a bit of peace, and stop the endless inquiries that only benefit lawyers. Admittedly it'll never happen, and in many respects, it should have happened after the Good Friday Agreement.

I agree. Although whether it would "give families a bit of peace" is debatable. 

Â