The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

• VT Supporter
33 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Well school had an early release day and I just got home.

First day was absolutely fantastic and already I feel happier than I felt in the previous six months at my other job. Helping the special education teacher was rewarding in its own right just to see the smiles on their faces when they got the correct answer then to helping the Spanish teacher make some taco's for the after school parents meeting to leading a lecture on the American Revolution. My job emcompasses all areas of the school and that is one of its main attractions for sure.

Very glad I made this career decision and I see only more positive things in future.

Sounds fantastic. 

As do the taco's for the parents. I'll have some of that! 

• Thanks 1

• VT Supporter
1 hour ago, Big Salad said:

Well school had an early release day and I just got home.

First day was absolutely fantastic and already I feel happier than I felt in the previous six months at my other job. Helping the special education teacher was rewarding in its own right just to see the smiles on their faces when they got the correct answer then to helping the Spanish teacher make some taco's for the after school parents meeting to leading a lecture on the American Revolution. My job emcompasses all areas of the school and that is one of its main attractions for sure.

Very glad I made this career decision and I see only more positive things in future.

Teaching really is the most rewarding job you can have. Not in terms of money, but in terms of feeling your job matters, and how much fun it is, there is nothing else I’d rather do for a living. 

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

• VT Supporter

Advice please.

Appears the company I work for (quite a large £1bn+ business), with thousands of employees are systematically moving as many admin, finance, IT and marketing functions abroad to the Middle East. I know that where I work (e-commerce and digital) is on the list.

How does this work from a redundancy perspective? As we NEED e-commerce and digital functions they can't say the role is redundant, they are purely just trying to find people to do the job cheaper. Do they need to mutually agree with me a payoff? Or can they just give me notice and off I pop to the job centre? 

Edited by pas5898

• VT Supporter
17 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Advice please.

Appears the company I work for (quite a large £1bn+ business), with thousands of employees are systematically moving as many admin, finance, IT and marketing functions abroad to the Middle East. I know that where I work (e-commerce and digital) is on the list.

How does this work from a redundancy perspective? As we NEED e-commerce and digital functions they can't say the role is redundant, they are purely just trying to find people to do the job cheaper. Do they need to mutually agree with me a payoff? Or can they just give me notice and off I pop to the job centre? 

I think the first part of it depends on how long you’ve worked for them. I think if it’s less than 2 years they can bin you off quite easily.

• VT Supporter
28 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the first part of it depends on how long you’ve worked for them. I think if it’s less than 2 years they can bin you off quite easily.

2 years and 1 month. 

I have a 3 months notice period as well, so I presume that means I get at least 3 months salary as a "going away present".

• VT Supporter
1 minute ago, pas5898 said:

2 years and 1 month. 

I have a 3 months notice period as well, so I presume that means I get at least 3 months salary as a "going away present".

Great news that you’ve tipped the 2 years.

If they want to make you redundant it’s quite a lengthy process.

First of all they have to formally inform you that you’re at risk of redundancy. Then I think they have to offer you any other open vacancies that exist in the business as an alternative to making you redundant. If you reject all that then they’ll issue you the terms of redundancy and end date.

As you have 3 months they’ll either get the ball rolling on that and you’ll finish at the end, or they might finish you earlier but pay you for the remainder of the 3 months. 

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Advice please.

Are you in a union at work? If so, best place to start.  If not, try obtaining some information from your HR dept and then perhaps consult citizens advice? I think there is also redundancy rights information on gov.uk.

2 hours ago, pas5898 said:

2 years and 1 month. 

Your company may have a policy, which is better than the statutory one. A company your size will have an intranet site and it should be on there. 

For reference, at our place, the policy depends on when you joined. If it was ages ago, like me, you get 4 weeks per year served up to a max of 104 weeks. New starters in the last few years might get something less attractive. 

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Who amongst hasn't snogged the face off a girl both of us at 9 years old under coats at school. 

Said girl was murdered some 35 years later by my brother in law. That's a different story though. 

I'll meet you in the general thread for more😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Advice please.

As a big company they are likely to have a redundancy package. 

I had a similar situation about 15 yrs ago where they moved offshore for cheapness. I got a decent payout and advance notice 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • VT Supporter

My current job is really pissing me off.

About a year ago the project I was working on was canned so I ended up in a “any port in a storm” situation and was talked into doing a job I really wasn’t that keen on, but did my best and it has been interesting to learn a new part of the business.

When I arrived it’s just me and another guy and our manager (he had other people working for him but they did something completely different). Then this manger gets “displaced” and now we work for the senior manager instead. 

My colleague is more junior in grade than me so i’m kind of managing him, unofficially. This colleague has been constantly pissing in the SM’s ear that we need more resource to clear the backlog of “data” that needs to be addressed. I’ve never been on this page because of 1) we have access to resource already who could do it if 2) the data wasn’t so shit that it’s impossible to process effectively.

So the SM gets us some offshore resource for 6 months to help. I am told I need to manage him, make sure he’s trained and kept very busy. I’m not happy about this as I know it’s a waste.

As expected after a period of getting him up to speed he’s hitting the brick walls I knew he would. He keeps asking me every day “what he should do next?”. My colleague has his arse in his hands as I told him he needs to find him something as it was his idea but I guess it’ll come back to me as I was told to keep him busy.

Cancelling the guy (he’s employed full time elsewhere so wouldn’t be made redundant) isn’t going to be popular either as the SM had to fight hard to get it signed off.

Pisses me off as I knew exactly what would happen and it has. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â