The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

So, VTers. knowing what you know now... with all your life experiences, if you could have your working career again, what would you do? Same job? Or something completely different?

I kind of fell into my current role in finance and while it has been good to me, if I could start again i'd do something in aviation. Probably start training to be a pilot or if not that, air traffic controller. 

How about you guys/gals?

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

So, VTers. knowing what you know now... with all your life experiences, if you could have your working career again, what would you do? Same job? Or something completely different?

I kind of fell into my current role in finance and while it has been good to me, if I could start again i'd do something in aviation. Probably start training to be a pilot or if not that, air traffic controller. 

How about you guys/gals?

Probably not.

I think I'd do everything differently after school.

There's no way I'd get an accounting degree. If I still wanted to go into that field I could. It doesn't matter what degree you have (to an extent)
I'd more than likely do a language degree. Probably Spanish, maybe a joint honours with Business.

Then I'd explore the avenues that that opened up. Maybe do a similar job to what I've done but in Spain for a few years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 03:55, Xela said:

How about you guys/gals?

I'm very pleased to be working in the roles I have now. Working with at risk youth, the homeless, a mental health clinic and playing basketball semi-professionally doesn't bring in the money but all are such a rich source of the human spirit and I have met a lot of amazing people while doing work that has meaning for me and I enjoy immersing myself into each role.

I spent 6 years in gardening and construction. If I had my time again I probably would not do either again but if I did I would take it seriously as a craft by completing an apprenticeship or at least obtaining some tickets, being a pure labourer meant that the stuff nobody else wanted to do got done by me and it was hard yakka. So no way would I take that route again.

It's all well and good to say it in hindsight but if I had my time again and committed to basketball instead of walking away from the game when I did, I was on track to play college ball in the states and study over there. Who knows what opportunities may have arisen from that. It was the dream from a very young age, one of my earliest memories is being at the video store in around '96 and having Mum purchase Michael Jordan's Above and Beyond. That got me playing daily and some years later I would be selected first and asked to sit out before the trial had finished to play at nationals for Under 12's and that was all she wrote from there. I would go on to play representative club basketball in the state's top and second division in my teenage years until I stopped at the age of 16. I had a lot going on in my life at the time and I lost interest and motivation in playing daily and gave up just a few years short of reaching my goal and it would be roughly 5 years before I returned to basketball.

On 09/12/2018 at 16:55, Xela said:

How about you guys/gals?

Good question. I think for me I would have not bothered with the degree and just gone straight into work as that business degrees didn't help me at all get to where I am.today.

For me I would have liked to have been involved in HR or learned a foreign language other than greek. Spanish or Portuguese 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Good question. I think for me I would have not bothered with the degree and just gone straight into work as that business degrees didn't help me at all get to where I am.today.

For me I would have liked to have been involved in HR or learned a language 

Fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In retrospect, 3 years dicking about smoking weed and playing World of Warcraft, with a philosophy degree in there at some point, wasn't that useful. 

I quite like where I've ended up though, and could happily see myself doing it for quite some time yet. I don't think childhood me dreamed of medical software development, though. 

On 09/12/2018 at 16:55, Xela said:

How about you guys/gals?

I've kind of stumbled into everything I've done, there's never been a plan. Back in the music days, it just happened, even though at times I made it happen, it did just happen, I stumbled my way up the scene. I even fell into Taxi driving really. it was the result of am in-joke amongst friends regarding my scary ability to remember my way around places I've only been to once a long time ago, or navigate entirely new countries by just looking at the map once in the morning and getting us where we needed to be in good time without making a wrong turn. I did that whilst I was taking a break from the music stuff to either regroup or look for a "proper" job. I never did look for the proper job though as I enjoyed it and within a couple of years I had my feet behind a desk in the office and now 18 years later, I am where I am and I wouldn't swap it. Loved my early hedonistic life but also love what I'm doing now. I look at my ex-business partners, still running clubs now and I just think I'm glad I made the switch

• Like 3

Had some really disappointing news come in this week. As I said earlier in the thread I was training with and exploring the possibility of playing with a different club to my last and I have since been told that my position there has been given to a guy who was playing with the Washington Wizards in the NBA two years ago and that the spot behind him in the pecking order would be awarded to the hottest prospect from the youth division last season as the club have a mandate to promote youth players (I have a feeling that this is only true when a suitable prospect comes along and it just so happened that this was the case this season).

To add to my frustrations my club of last season said that in the meantime they had acquired players since my decision to train this other club and would not have a place for me in the 15 man squad, I have a very good relationship with the coach at this club and I believe him when he tells me that they would never have dropped me for someone there or thereabouts and that the players who have come in are seriously believed to take them to the next level. Whilst disappointing for me, this club and its people have been good to me and I wish them every success for the upcoming season.

There was a third club that I flirted with who have acquired a coach from the NBL and will be paying for an import to come and play for them. I trained with them briefly and have been told that they want to offer me a place in their development team with the prospect of me joining the first team mid season if I impress with the development squad. Not what I was anticipating going in to this season but it's an opportunity I will relish considering I came close to  being without a club for the upcoming season in March.

It's a part of the game and I need to pull my socks up, shut my gob and improve my routine if I'm to achieve what I would like in the game. This news while initially disheartening might be a blessing in disguise as there's no escaping the demands of competition at this level and I have not put in the work in which I was told to or that I had intended to do.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m gonna try and have my cake and eat it next week.

JLR well publicised VR programme will pay me a very handsome sum if I were to apply for it. Got an interview for a big company in the week, closer to home, payrise, car. 

Would be incredible if it comes off. Problem is I don’t think I’ll hear from job 2 before the VR window closes 😬

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 21:03, Genie said:

I’m gonna try and have my cake and eat it next week.

JLR well publicised VR programme will pay me a very handsome sum if I were to apply for it. Got an interview for a big company in the week, closer to home, payrise, car. 

Would be incredible if it comes off. Problem is I don’t think I’ll hear from job 2 before the VR window closes 😬

Looks like I’ve timed out in this. Had the first interview but now waiting in feedback / second interview. Probably won’t be able to have it all so will see how I go...

On 21/12/2018 at 20:56, bickster said:

I've kind of stumbled into everything I've done, there's never been a plan. Back in the music days, it just happened, even though at times I made it happen, it did just happen, I stumbled my way up the scene. I even fell into Taxi driving really. 

Thought they called it a cabriolet back in your heydays? 😎

I am about to switch jobs myself. Been at the same company for a long time (IMO) 6 years, and time to move on. Currently flirting with the idea of moving abroad to work, but we'll see. Language is often the big problem. 

Slight digression and whine, so I apologise about that in advance. But it never cease to amaze me how bad management can **** up a great work place. Even when they get advice from their own employees they choose to ignore it and **** it up. 4 of my closest colleagues are gone now due to **** inept management. 

I’m in an frustrating situation at work atm. Last 12 months, I’ve done loads of additional stuff to show I’m ready for a promotion. It hasn’t gone unnoticed, my dartment manager really rates me and I’ve also been selected on a company wide leadership programme. 

A team leader position came up at the end of last year, which most thought I’d get. Then out of the blue the dm (not mine), appointed someone from a different office, when it had previously been mentioned we wouldn’t be increasing head count. 

So now who knows when the next opportunity will come up. 

12 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m in an frustrating situation at work atm. Last 12 months, I’ve done loads of additional stuff to show I’m ready for a promotion. It hasn’t gone unnoticed, my dartment manager really rates me and I’ve also been selected on a company wide leadership programme. 

A team leader position came up at the end of last year, which most thought I’d get. Then out of the blue the dm (not mine), appointed someone from a different office, when it had previously been mentioned we wouldn’t be increasing head count. 

So now who knows when the next opportunity will come up. 

Chin up and keep striving. The most important recognition of your efforts should be your own so that you know your value and why you do what you do.

Leadership is about creating a world that people want to be a part of, whether you get the credit and plaudits or not. Understanding it's bigger than any one person.

Seems like you are making a concerted effort to see that your workplace benefits from the time you invest in it.

Maybe it's time to have a chat with those above you about what you think you bring to the table and where you'd like to go. Explore their thoughts on the matter too.

That's what my sister did. She ended up with a $15,000 annual raise and then a promotion to national manager .

She started as the front of shop retail chick and that's where she was for years but last year wrote the bosses a letter detailing her contributions and got the nod for promotion.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Money and status aside - what job would you do if you could pick any?

Realistic jobs or unrealistic?

If unrealistic we could have a lot of professional footballers

Â