The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 23/02/2017 at 20:40, imavillan said:

work sucks.....everyday is just like an episode of the apprentice with a bunch of ''my cocks bigger than yours'' egotists

i want to retire early

Small, then, yours? :P

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Small, then, yours? :P

thats for me to know and you to find out;) but either way you wouldnt want it as a wart on your face

i've been round the block a few times, seen it done it...getting too old for it all now its becoming rather tiresome listening to young dick head johnny come lately's who think they know it all when in reality they know jack shit and think they can talk bollocks and get away with it.

• Like 1

I'm in a bit of a rut at work, I'm pissing my job with my eyes closed but there just isn't much incentive to go for a promotion. Whilst you get a decent initial pay rise the annual rises are not as good as I'll currently get. So within about 5 years I'd probably be on less than if I stay put, with far less hassle.

I think about leaving but I'm really quite well paid so it's hard to justify. 

I've been in my current sales job for about 15 months having moved from a company who are in direct competition. During that period if I've actually had a months worth of work to do I'd be surprised. Every day feels like a prison sentence. It's soul destroying. I'm in my early 40s so if this isn't going to be long term then I need to do something quickly. 

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

thats for me to know and you to find out;) but either way you wouldnt want it as a wart on your face

i've been round the block a few times, seen it done it...getting too old for it all now its becoming rather tiresome listening to young dick head johnny come lately's who think they know it all when in reality they know jack shit and think they can talk bollocks and get away with it.

Jebus. I know I started it, but cripes, I don't think I'm gonna quite get over the face wart  todger fear for a bit.

yeah totally agree. Sympathies.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2017 at 22:07, dubbs said:

I've been in my current sales job for about 15 months having moved from a company who are in direct competition. During that period if I've actually had a months worth of work to do I'd be surprised. Every day feels like a prison sentence. It's soul destroying. I'm in my early 40s so if this isn't going to be long term then I need to do something quickly. 

Christ, I have about 15 hours worth of work to do a day in my sales role! What you selling? 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Christ, I have about 15 hours worth of work to do a day in my sales role! What you selling? 

We sella manufacturing process rather than a product. Typical example today, I've nothing to do after 1 hour at work. 

Passed my verbal screening at the new place, they had me complete some pre employment tasks online (bank, emergency contact etc and an induction) and now I'm waiting on a start date while they do my written screening.

Hoping to start next week but that might not be long enough for everything on their end.

Edited by V01
a word

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know how you do it. I think I'd have gone mad. 

TBF I think I'm getting close to madness. The annoying thing is I said I didn't want to be day at a desk all day during the interview and that's exactly what I do!

21 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I did sales for like 2 months. How do people make a career out of it?

I only said I wanted to do it for 5 years when I got the job. 9 years later...

It's easier when you constantly smash your targets but I imagine it would be horrible if you were struggling.

On 2/27/2017 at 21:42, Genie said:

I'm in a bit of a rut at work, I'm pissing my job with my eyes closed but there just isn't much incentive to go for a promotion. Whilst you get a decent initial pay rise the annual rises are not as good as I'll currently get. So within about 5 years I'd probably be on less than if I stay put, with far less hassle.

I think about leaving but I'm really quite well paid so it's hard to justify. 

It's vaguely similar for me. I'm constantly busy but its not challenging anymore and I'm paid well for my level of management grade. I know someone who was taken on at a higher management grade recently and he's on a lot less than me. Where is my incentive to progress up the ladder? 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

@Xela - any news about that interview, dude ?

Didn't get it mate. Had some good feedback though and the interview experience will hopefully stand me in good stead for next time!

Found out yesterday that there are redundancies at my place, cutting my department down to 50 from 90 staff, that pretty much means I'm gone.

I'm gunna start looking around now, I might even have to go back to my old department with my tail between my legs and ask for my old job back.

If I can't find anything within the company I should get a decent pay out cuz I've been there for 13/14 years.

I only moved into my new flat 2 months ago and the rent is £150 more than I was playing at the old place so I can't afford to not work at the minute.

bastards I'm fuming about it.

Edited by leemond2008

Sorry to hear about that @leemond2008 Hopefully if the worst happens you have a bit of breathing space with your redundancy package. Do you know what it would be? For that length of service at my place it would be about a years salary. 

10k give or take, its a bit gutting because just about 2 years ago they changed the redundancy package, it used to be 3.5 weeks wages for every year that you have worked here, if it was still that then I'd definitely be putting my name forward for voluntary redundancy.

10k isn't really a fat lot for 14 years service, it wouldn't last long if I didn't manage to find a new job soon after

Â