The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

He custom fit his own car because he likes doing that. Doing things you don't like to do because it will benefit you in the long run is something very different. 

Money isn't everything, earning potential is usually linked to natural talents, something people can't control. But proper hard work can get you further, get you to the goals you would want, regardless of whether you actually admit your real aims to others or just pretend to be blissfully happy.

I think either we are on a very different wave length or I'm just too tired to understand your point. So I'll park it there and wander off.

• Like 1

That's the thing though, as people we should not have to wake up in the morning and think "bollox, I have to go to work".... We should wake up and be excited about the job we are about to do

This is the problem with the world. That is absolute bullshit. For all existence for almost every human or animal alive they have fought to survive in the world, to get enough food to live. It is still that way for the vast majority of people in the world. Work is work, the biggest mistake is thinking it should be anything else

That's crazy talk. We as humans now know that in order to do anything and conform to society we have to work and make a living. Why not do something we enjoy and make our days a lot easier? I'm fairly certain Richard Branson wakes up every morning a very happy man having achieved what he has in business. He has done exactly what he has wanted to do and made a fortune. Edited by Tayls

I didn't know what I wanted to be when I was 16, or 18, or when I finished my A-levels. They tell you that you have to choose and that you need a career and then expect an 18 year old to know what he wants for the next 40 years.

Impossible.

The schools put the fear of god into people so young, choices are hard and choosing a career - especially nowadays, is harder.

Some people do have an idea what they want to do, which is great, but others (like me) don't have a **** clue at that age. I tried management (retail), teaching (assistant), and I also tried a multitude of other things. Whilst working as a teaching assistant, I was asked to write something for a local magazine and I loved it. After this I did more and more, some radio and also some local TV - which I hated but loved!

I realised I wanted to work in the media, tell stories and shizzle. 

I've written about music, met some weird and fun people at our local festivals. I've reviewed and previewed Bestival in the official supplement, I have interviewed local people about things they have done, written news...features... yeah, I love doing it. I also work for an international charity as their press man too.

I was about 28 when I found out what I wanted to do, it changed my life and I get paid to do what I love! Don't panic if you don't know yet...

On a personal note, (any advice massively welcome)... I feel that I am stuck in the job that I am doing because I do not have that illustrious degree that employers seem to all want. (And agencies screen out the people that do not).

So I have been in recruitment now for 4 years, before that I worked for a logistics company for 2 years which I went straight into after finishing my A-Levels, starting off as a temp. (Admin role but got good SAP experience and exposure to lean thinking). I was planning on only staying there for a year as I had my place at uni confirmed. I decided to pull out and stay in my job. I also started going out with my gf during 6th Form and have been with her since.

Now, I am 25 in my recruitment role, with big ambitions but no idea on how to achieve want I want to achieve. I want a big house with a nice car and I want to have a family - who doesn't right?

My GF and I are just about to complete on a house purchase. I, however, get itchy feet career wise and I want to be sure that I am doing something I love and something I can take elsewhere if I wanted to - here is my problem - I have no idea what it is I want to do!

I have started a degree through the OU in Business Studies - though part time this will take 6 years!!

Edited by Tayls

I've decided to go the education route for a while

After being made redundant i might as well put the funds into a qualification they are night classes so i should be able to find work in the mean time

Going to try an ICM DIploma level 3 in accounting because i want to get into the credit industry again

I have 6 years experience so i'm fine there but want to add a couple more strings to my bow

• Like 1

I've got a job I like at the moment, and with the missus' wages added on we have a good life, but I'm finally going to resit Maths once and for all and defeat it. I'm actually really good at it but I spent 95% of my time at school pissing around and I got a U on the coursework side of it. I will go in aiming for a A. I'd love to redo about 5 subjects and prove myself, but I haven't got the time.

Has anyone else resit Maths at an older age (I'm 25)?

Edited by villarule123

I've decided to go the education route for a while

After being made redundant i might as well put the funds into a qualification they are night classes so i should be able to find work in the mean time

Going to try an ICM DIploma level 3 in accounting because i want to get into the credit industry again

I have 6 years experience so i'm fine there but want to add a couple more strings to my bow

I went back into education as well. I came out of school with 3 GCSE's, didn't like college and just wanted to do my own thing. Taught myself how to use an array of creative software and worked for myself as a graphic designer until I was 20, which then led to videography/video editing. I've worked with a fair few major record labels and made a decent change from it all to be fair, but I moved back in with my mum and decided that I want to get some grades behind me.

Now I'm 25 with my GCSE's sorted, did an Access course at college and now I'm at University going in to my 3rd year. I have practical experience behind me in abundance, which hopefully I'll be able to combine with what I've learnt via the education path in order to achieve my goals.

I think a degree on its own is pretty worthless, especially in the current climate with jobs etc. Going back into education, knowing what you want to do and also having experience with not only work but also life behind you, is a much more feasible option IMO and makes more sense than coming out of school being forced into a career path that you may not want to pursue within a few years*.

*I know we are all different.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

I've got a job I like at the moment, and with the missus' wages added on we have a good life, but I'm finally going to resit Maths once and for all and defeat it. I'm actually really good at it but I spent 95% of my time at school pissing around and I got a U on the coursework side of it. I will go in aiming for a A. I'd love to redo about 5 subjects and prove myself, but I haven't got the time.

I redid Maths and Eng Lit/Lang, so much easier than I remembered it to be.

I just did a Mock test briefly and a lot of the questions I could work out quickly in my head, without jotting anything down.

What grade did you get? I've got both my English, Science & ICT so Maths is the only biggie that I need. I just want to say a big FU to it.

I just did a Mock test briefly and a lot of the questions I could work out quickly in my head, without jotting anything down.

What grade did you get? I've got both my English, Science & ICT so Maths is the only biggie that I need. I just want to say a big FU to it.

B's mate and that was whilst focusing on a college course at the same time, I'd go for it if I were you, piece of piss.

Currently approaching what seems like a potential crossroads in my career - I reckon I'll carry on for at least 6 months once I get a pay-rise in line with a professional qualification in September and see how I feel after then. I find my current job has work which ranges from being partly-challenging and interesting to the boring, there's also a particular arsehole I work with - but I'm not naive enough to think a perfect job awaits me out there. I do enjoy my field of work and find all areas of the job come rather naturally, so I don't think it will be a radical change in profession for me however.

That's the thing though, as people we should not have to wake up in the morning and think "bollox, I have to go to work".... We should wake up and be excited about the job we are about to do

This is the problem with the world. That is absolute bullshit. For all existence for almost every human or animal alive they have fought to survive in the world, to get enough food to live. It is still that way for the vast majority of people in the world. Work is work, the biggest mistake is thinking it should be anything else

That's crazy talk. We as humans now know that in order to do anything and conform to society we have to work and make a living. Why not do something we enjoy and make our days a lot easier? I'm fairly certain Richard Branson wakes up every morning a very happy man having achieved what he has in business. He has done exactly what he has wanted to do and made a fortune.

My point was about pragmatism. Majority of people on earth don't get the luxury of working a job they love. If I lived by that philosophy I'd make my living betting and writing about horse racing and tennis. But I have talents I can get paid more for elsewhere. So I do what's best. I work the job that I don't like because it pays the best. To do less and try have a family is cowardly and selfish. 

This is just my view, I'm just one opinion of a world of many.  ;)

It's not cowardly and selfish to choose to do a job you love even if it pays less than another job you could do as long as you're either single or not jeopardising your family's lifestyle or opportunities in any great way.

You sound like a proper martyr. There's nothing selfish about enjoying life as long as it's not at any great expense to other people. Some people value job satisfaction above pay, and just because you don't doesn't mean you should call those who do cowards. If everybody thought the way you do then you wouldn't get many people working as nurses, caregivers or teachers, all important jobs that don't pay so well but do fantastic work.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

I know exactly what your going through OP. Im a bit older at 28 and most days im constantly worrying about what im doing in life in terms of a career.

I went to uni and since graduation ive been working in the field I graduated in, supply chain management. The problem is I hate it. It bores me to tears sitting there looking at spreadsheets all day. I contribute nothing in meetings except staring at the managers boobs as I day dream about anything except what is being discussed in the meeting. My mates all seem to have exciting jobs they love talking about which makes it worse. One is in the RAF, I have engineer friends who are earning a real good wage, another a police officer. Only myself and my accountant buddy hate our jobs, both pretty much stuck on excel spreadsheets all day.

Im considering going back to uni to do radiography however ill be in my 30's and the stigma and having to live 3 years with no cash is a killer.

Good luck OP. If its bothering you that bad then maybe you could take some time out to go travelling where you might pick up some fresh ideas of what you want to do.

I'm also 28. Quit my job in March and just returning today after a bit of travelling. Met lot's of people and various suggestions. The only thing I've learned ( though knew it already ) is having to just "do it" and be ok with failing sometimes. I've been very guilty of passively hoping some kind of ideal job would spring to mind but it doesn't work like that.

I'm always wary I'll continue to ignore this advice as I am pathetically indecisive, but each time I do it makes me more depressed and there's only so far you can deal with that self-flagellation. Seems like it just must be better to try something - whatever that may be. Still fear I'll be checking back in this thread in a few months with the same unhelpful hang ups, but we'll see. All i do know is that positive action is the only option credibly available.

I'm 27, and work for a bank (boo hiss blah blah blah etc), but our building has gone through a lot of staff changes lately.

I've been here for 6 years, and I'm half hoping that we get made redundant soon. My dad is a builder, but in the past 4/5 years, they've bought an extra house and flat, which they have renovated and then rented out.

My dad has just turned 60, but if I get made redundant any time soon, I will seriously ask him whether it'd be worth putting my redundancy money into a new property for me and him to do up, before he retires.

I have no knowledge of the ins and outs of building, other than the odd days/ weeks that I've worked with him, so I would just be doing the leg-work for him. But if that gave a decent return from the investment, I'd really like to do that (especially as I'd get to work with my dad before he retires, as I know he's going to need a bit of help when his back and knees start to creak!)

My dream job would be buying up property, doing them up and selling / renting them out. I think that would be a really rewarding 'job'.

I am a pretty decent all rounder when it comes to DIY so could tackle most jobs. Problem is I don't have nearly enough guts to go down this risky profession.

I am also pretty well paid which makes a career change even more dangerous and unlikely.

Edited by Tamuff_Villa

I too think it would be a dream job. You'd be your own boss, you could start and finish when you wanted (but you'd know not to slack, because it's in your interests). No uniforms, music blasting if you want, the work would keep you fit and there's a possibility of a real return, financially.

My OH is pretty handy with a paintbrush too and with 2 youngsters it would be ideal to fit the job around their needs for school etc.

I am very envious watching programs like homes under the hammer where they buy something at auction, gut it and flog it for a tidy profit in 8 weeks.

Â