The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Im currently working as a sales recruitment job. Love it to bits. However my pay is commission only which im now looking to change. Ill definitely be wanting to stay in recruitment as I feel im a natural at talking shit to people.

Spoke to a few recruitment companies but they are all recruitment for recruitment so its driving me mad. Id love to stay at my current place but working in a sales environment on a commission base contract only is an absolute pisstake.

Big Question is why are you looking to change ? Just for my interest so I can have a heads up for when I get a proper recruitment job.

Drop me an inbox fella if you are keen to look at other recruitment opportunities as depending on where you live I might be able to set you up with something...

This would be a massive help. Even a point in the right direction. Ill dm you tomorrow mate.

I'd settle for a job I hated but paid good money, I think it's a given that the majority of people won't be lucky enough to find a job they enjoy that pays enough to support their lifestyle.

Currently I'm sat in a position with a job I hate that pays shit money. Unfortunately for me I lack confidence and haven't a clue where to start looking for something new.

I don't think any money is worth doing a job you hate. There is a difference between not liking your job very much and passionately hating it to the point it makes you ill. No job or paycheck is worth that (i've been there!)

• 1 month later...

Anybody got any new stories for this particular thread?

Careers is still a massive worry for me and I have had to start seeking counciling because I am so stressed about it all the time. I just feel so stuck in where I am at the moment and if I ever lost that job, I worry I won't ever find another one. Grrrr

When I hated my job, I just looked around the market and put my cv out. Had a chat to some agents then I got an interview. Pulled a sicky to go and got a new job.

What is it you do lapal? Do you have qualifications etc?

It might be beneficial for you to go outside your comfort zone and go into a new arena because you may have a talent that you did not know you had. My undergrad was in Sociology, and my MSC was in Marketing, but now I work in real estate and I'm happy in this role.

I've never known truly what I want to do in life, if I had the capital and no pressure for financial success then id love to begin a wrestling fed in Birmingham and try to build it up. Id be my own Vinnie mac. Id hire VA but restrict him to Lycra repair, coffee runner and sweat stain remover for my own twisted pleasure.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

When I hated my job, I just looked around the market and put my cv out. Had a chat to some agents then I got an interview. Pulled a sicky to go and got a new job.

What is it you do lapal? Do you have qualifications etc?

I work in the energy industry as an energy analyst for an American telecommunications provider.

I did work as an energy assessor surveying buildings and reporting on how they can reduce energy usage and associated costs.

I took a different role in my new job - working in an office rather than home which I thought I'd hate. Turns out I love it and the people I work with are teaching me new things every day.

I had 2 interviews with them and whilst the other candidate had much more energy knowledge than I did, apparently my personality and enthusiasm got me the job. I've been told that's what got me the job. They said they can teach anyone how to do the job but they can't teach personality :)

Feels good brah.

The added bonus is that I've never been on as much money either, although I'd do the job for less, because it's interesting, fun and the people are very experienced, director level types which puts me in a good position in the future.

Nice one Lapal. Musta been chuffed once you found out the outcome of that interview process.

How did you fall into that though, do you have a relevant degree for the job or what was your past experience prior to that role?

Umm. I got a degree in Environmental Science, which I didn't know was a joke degree until Thursday, when they're looking to scrap it as a degree :(

So in short, my degree isn't that relevant. 

My prior experience? When I was at uni, I worked as a labourer on a building site for some money and experience, my first role after my degree was energy assessing, which I got by asking a company which was on the building site I was working on, I just asked them what they did and if they had any jobs..

Pretty lucky I suppose.

But as I said, as long as you show enthusiasm to the agents, they'll put you forward.

My agent when I called up said I wasn't the best suited and I just said "listen, this is exactly what I want to get into, I know that if you get me infront of the interviewers, I'll impress them" and she was umming and ahh-ing for a while.

Then eventually she put me forward, and two interviews later, I got the job over more experienced people. 

I was lucky and I know I was, but there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't go for something out of your comfort zone.

In a nutshell, do a degree. If it's part time so be it. But it would be best doing a degree full time and working part time.

At the end of the 3 years you will have work experience & a degree, so don't think you're back to square one as if you'd just finished a degree at 22. 

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A HOUSE. You are 25 ffs. The world was ruined by people buying homes when they didn't need to out of fear and ignorance. 

• Like 2

One of my happiest buddies is a window cleaner. By window cleaner, I mean he's his own boss, fit as a fiddle, working local and picking up his kids from school most days, currently driving around in a new VW California.

Other friends work for high flying Project Management companies in London, earn a fortune, work 12 hour days most days and hate themselves.

Personally I would think your friend is happy, but lazy and your mates in London just enjoy complaining about work. "Be my own boss" = "be as lazy as I want"

For me "I didn't want to go to College" usually means when I was young I wanted stuff now, money now or I didn't want to have to study for 3/4 more years before I got a full time job. 

But then again I'm a cynical arrogant ass  :huh:

Edited by CVByrne

I changed careers at 25 and again at 30, both times into something that apparently required a degree and training that I didn't have. Just ended up in the right place at the right time and got chummy with the people that had the power to give me a placement and I guess looked or sounded the part.

Currently doing work that several Clients wrongly believe requires a degree. So I got the degree (part time, nights), and now I can carry on doing exactly the same job as before to the same standard but I (well, the company) get to charge them £27 an hour extra for this great new expertise I've acquired by being BSc (Hons).

As somebody that survived quite a while without a degree (or even an A Level) and now having one I think I'm fairly well placed to suggest that many of them are bogus and the bar set by companies that you need a degree to carry out job 'x' or position 'y' is equally bogus, but difficult to circumvent. 

Networking and luck still outweigh merit in an awful lot of situations.

I've never known truly what I want to do in life, if I had the capital and no pressure for financial success then id love to begin a wrestling fed in Birmingham and try to build it up. Id be my own Vinnie mac. Id hire VA but restrict him to Lycra repair, coffee runner and sweat stain remover for my own twisted pleasure.

quit.jpg

• Like 2

One of my happiest buddies is a window cleaner. By window cleaner, I mean he's his own boss, fit as a fiddle, working local and picking up his kids from school most days, currently driving around in a new VW California.

Other friends work for high flying Project Management companies in London, earn a fortune, work 12 hour days most days and hate themselves.

Personally I would think your friend is happy, but lazy and your mates in London just enjoy complaining about work. "Be my own boss" = "be as lazy as I want"

For me "I didn't want to go to College" usually means when I was young I wanted stuff now, money now or I didn't want to have to study for 3/4 more years before I got a full time job. 

But then again I'm a cynical arrogant ass  :huh:

If you think the window cleaner with a new VW California, custom fitted to his own spec is lazy, I may have mislead you with clumsy language. Happy and in control does not mean lazy. It might be possible to gauge how lazy he is by looking up the price of a standard California.

The guys in London PM jobs, well, that's a bit more of a grey area. If you don't like it, move to Devon and make do with less cash.

He custom fit his own car because he likes doing that. Doing things you don't like to do because it will benefit you in the long run is something very different. 

Money isn't everything, earning potential is usually linked to natural talents, something people can't control. But proper hard work can get you further, get you to the goals you would want, regardless of whether you actually admit your real aims to others or just pretend to be blissfully happy.

Im currently working as a sales recruitment job. Love it to bits. However my pay is commission only which im now looking to change. Ill definitely be wanting to stay in recruitment as I feel im a natural at talking shit to people.

Spoke to a few recruitment companies but they are all recruitment for recruitment so its driving me mad. Id love to stay at my current place but working in a sales environment on a commission base contract only is an absolute pisstake.

Big Question is why are you looking to change ? Just for my interest so I can have a heads up for when I get a proper recruitment job.

Drop me an inbox fella if you are keen to look at other recruitment opportunities as depending on where you live I might be able to set you up with something...

This would be a massive help. Even a point in the right direction. Ill dm you tomorrow mate.

Personally I'd just hold out and see if my brother is any good at football

• Like 1

That's the thing though, as people we should not have to wake up in the morning and think "bollox, I have to go to work".... We should wake up and be excited about the job we are about to do

This is the problem with the world. That is absolute bullshit. For all existence for almost every human or animal alive they have fought to survive in the world, to get enough food to live. It is still that way for the vast majority of people in the world. Work is work, the biggest mistake is thinking it should be anything else

I'd settle for a job I hated but paid good money, I think it's a given that the majority of people won't be lucky enough to find a job they enjoy that pays enough to support their lifestyle.

Currently I'm sat in a position with a job I hate that pays shit money. Unfortunately for me I lack confidence and haven't a clue where to start looking for something new.

What is it you do at the moment Nath182 if you don't mind saying? Have you considered different avenues etc? In what way do you lack confidence do you reckon?

I'm a technical author, writing technical troubleshooting articles for an electronics company. I think my main problem is that I get nervous in interview situations and generally am not confident in my abilities. Like I say, I haven't got a clue where to start looking for something new.

Best advice is practice. Go do interviews for lots of jobs, doing interviews for jobs you don't want is always good as you will be less nervous. Also tailor your CV so that what's on there will lead to questions you can predict and that the one line in your CV can be elaborated on. This means you will be repeating a lot of things in interviews. Force your self to do things that you don't like, or feel uncomfortable doing but that will help your career is a good thing. 

Remember, the vast majority of people in this country are lazy and unambituous. Showing some drive, eagerness etc.. in interviews is as good as any work experience you have. Think positive 

Â